Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Charlie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:17 - 14 Jan 2011    Post subject: Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy Reply with quote

I finished reading the last book last night. Was a really good read and this particular book had me totally hooked. It was really hard to put down. If anyone hasn't read them yet I'd totally recommend them Thumbs Up

I didn't think the first book was amazing, but the 2nd and 3rd where very good.

Anyone else read them? What did you think?
____________________
Past: Honda x8rs, Honda City fly, Honda Hornet 250, Honda VFR750, Yamaha xt600e.
Current: Honda CBR929RR & Yamaha XT660Z Tenere
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:45 - 14 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read em, thought 1 and 3 were better than 2 but as a trilogy brilliant. The characterisation made it for me.

OGR
____________________
2022 Tiger Sport 660 2019 Street Twin 2003 K3 gixxer 1000 1998 Srad 600 track hack
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

fenton
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:18 - 14 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill be the first to ask. What are they about?
____________________
PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!!!!! I cannot be held liable for anything that i post.

CBR400RR NC29 ( '06 - '09 )... TL1000 RK1 ( '10 - present )
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tonka
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:55 - 14 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read all three back to back and was hooked, really enjoyed them. I've got the DVD of the the first one and will get the others when they come out too and then watch them back to back. I'm not impressed that the US is doing it's own version of the movies with Daniel Craig though - bit of a sell out given that it was all better low key and not all glizted up Hollywood stylie, but that's just my opinion!

Fenton: Without giving the whole thing away, here is the wiki description!

The Millennium Trilogy is a series of three bestselling novels written in Swedish originally by the late Stieg Larsson. The novels in the series, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest, were first published in 2005, 2006 and 2007 respectively.

Larsson, who was disgusted by sexual violence, witnessed the gang rape of a young girl when he was 15. The author never forgave himself for failing to help the girl, whose name was Lisbeth – like the young heroine of his books, herself a rape victim, which inspired the theme of sexual violence against women in his books.

The primary characters in the series are Lisbeth Salander and Mikael Blomkvist. Lisbeth is an intelligent, eccentric woman in her twenties with eidetic memory whose social skills are rather poor. Blomkvist is an investigative journalist, a celebrity in his own right, and has a history not totally dissimilar to Larsson's.

Larsson wrote about three-quarters of a fourth novel before his sudden death in November 2004. His partner, Eva Gabrielsson, possesses the notebook computer with the manuscript. Outlines or manuscripts for one or two more books may exist

____________________
'The core of a man's spirit comes from new experiences'
Suzuki SV650S (Clean); Yamaha XT250 Serow (Dirty)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

daz_d_biker
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 01 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:53 - 14 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

these are the last 3 books I've read actually, a brilliant read! What do I read as a follow up though?
____________________
"bikes are replaceable - but a complete nutter aint."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dr. DaveJPS
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:08 - 14 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

daz_d_biker wrote:
these are the last 3 books I've read actually, a brilliant read! What do I read as a follow up though?


i'd always recommend Flashman but probably not within that genre that you are looking for.
____________________
"intelligent inattention is preferable to unintelligent tinkering"
www.davejps.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tonka
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:30 - 14 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

daz_d_biker wrote:
these are the last 3 books I've read actually, a brilliant read! What do I read as a follow up though?


My little local bookshop recommended Jo Nesbo as a good author to follow the Millenuim Trilogy with. He's written quite a few so I've bought a couple of them but haven't started any yet!
____________________
'The core of a man's spirit comes from new experiences'
Suzuki SV650S (Clean); Yamaha XT250 Serow (Dirty)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kwaks
I'm not a fast rider



Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:29 - 15 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed all 3 books.


Didn't realise the author had died, thats a real shame as I was looking forward to more of his books. Seems to have taken a bit of time for the books to reach us Confused
____________________
Fallen Angel "Nae sniffing my seat now!!!!! "
www.cliqueycuntsmcc.co.uk
I AM NOT A FAST RIDER!!!!!!!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Charlie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:42 - 16 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno if it was my crappy English skills (most probably) but I thought I'd found a couple of mistake in the 3rd book where the english didn't quite read right. Still it was very good, I haven't read a book that has had me hooked like that for a while.
____________________
Past: Honda x8rs, Honda City fly, Honda Hornet 250, Honda VFR750, Yamaha xt600e.
Current: Honda CBR929RR & Yamaha XT660Z Tenere
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

daz_d_biker
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 01 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:38 - 16 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not wrong Charlie, I found a few too. But the whole book was translated from Swedish to English. Mine had a LOT of mistakes in it, but I'm guessing that is because it was on IBooks on my Iphone haha.

Anyone seen the films?

Thanks for the book suggestions.

Daz.
____________________
"bikes are replaceable - but a complete nutter aint."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Charlie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:30 - 16 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DVD is at home planning to watch it when I am next back from university. I have heard it is not as good as the book though, although this is expected.
____________________
Past: Honda x8rs, Honda City fly, Honda Hornet 250, Honda VFR750, Yamaha xt600e.
Current: Honda CBR929RR & Yamaha XT660Z Tenere
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 264 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.29 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 70.32 Kb