Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


New Guitar Build Underway....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Vman
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:50 - 14 Jan 2011    Post subject: New Guitar Build Underway.... Reply with quote

One of my other 'hobbies' is playing the guitar and making them, just started a new one, a French Polished Strat style one. Body is two piece swamp ash, and it'll end up with over 1000 passes of polish over about 10 sessions. Long drawn out process, but the finish is just beautiful.

Planning on an ebony fret board, on a vintage style neck, and a mint green, or black pick guard, with bare knuckle pu's. Should be awesome!

Also posted some pics of a Tele style git I made last year. This one is a one piece Black American Walnut, vintage neck and tuners, mint green guard and bare knuckle pu's. Sounds sweet, and is a joy to play with those 'train track' frets. This one has been slightly 'aged' (relic'd or road worn in Fender speak), so some hardware is a little rusted, and the finish has been worn a little in places. Weird concept, making a new guitar look old, and well, you either like it or you don't. Personally I don't mind it, it stops you 'mothering' the thing too much - it's a tool as much as a highly crafted piece.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ajbsmirnoff
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Dec 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:01 - 14 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.

I 'made' 2 guitars last year. Or rather I assembled 2nd hand ebay parts into 2 guitars, which probs doesn't count.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Damon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:42 - 14 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Smile Keep us posted of any updates.

I made a guitar out of a old mahogany science bench a few years ago. It took me years but came out great.

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1937/221/98/784455496/n784455496_5394151_2515.jpg

Since then I have build a strat. I bought a preshaped body this time as it saves months of work. I made the neck myself though and carved the fretboard out of a slab of ebony.

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1937/221/98/784455496/n784455496_5394008_8848.jpg

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2119/221/98/784455496/n784455496_5666669_4414.jpg

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1931/221/98/784455496/n784455496_5596685_2385.jpg

https://l2.sphotos.l3.fbcdn.net/photos-l3-ash1/v650/221/98/784455496/n784455496_5444663_5189.jpg

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-ash1/v650/221/98/784455496/n784455496_5444662_4855.jpg

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1937/221/98/784455496/n784455496_5394005_7997.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ajbsmirnoff
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Dec 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:33 - 15 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work chaps!
This is shinier in person, as I've wet sanded the clearcoat and polished it a bit more. I've not fiddled with the intonation yet and I'm going to stain the fret board black. It was was going to be a cheapo vai replica, but I throttled back to just a gaudy bauble of a guitar.

https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w255/ajbsmirnoff/157089_462425629289_578364289_5837062_5045247_n.jpg

https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w255/ajbsmirnoff/155074_462425674289_578364289_5837064_3766816_n.jpg
https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w255/ajbsmirnoff/220820101388.jpg
The wiring was a right old pain to do.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Vman
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:54 - 15 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wanted the Vai JEM in the early 90's. That looks great. Seems to be odd thinking of pointy headstock gits as being 'retro'!


Liking the Crapocaster as well....how did the fret board turn out? I find making the necks the hardest thing, body I find quite easy (easier) now using templates.

Funny, since I started making my own, I'm far less likely to trade around, I was constantly buying and selling kit in the 80's 90's. I suppose because of the effort put in, they would probably have to sell at silly money to hit a return.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

carlosthejack...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:30 - 16 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajbsmirnoff wrote:
Nice work chaps!
This is shinier in person, as I've wet sanded the clearcoat and polished it a bit more. I've not fiddled with the intonation yet and I'm going to stain the fret board black. It was was going to be a cheapo vai replica, but I throttled back to just a gaudy bauble of a guitar.

https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w255/ajbsmirnoff/157089_462425629289_578364289_5837062_5045247_n.jpg


I thought Vai as soon as I saw it...
____________________
Responsibility. It's a difficult reality for some. I'm running the 2014 Sheffield Half Marathon on behalf of Bluebell Wood Childrens Hospice. Please sponsor me, even if it's just a quid.
DonnyBrago: "I think you may be confusing rain and napalm..." Paulington: "It's not what you ride, it's how you ride it."
Current rides: '05 VFR800 VTEC, '57 Mondeo 1.8 TDCi #58LEGEND
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

lihp
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:32 - 16 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting question, as somebody who is relatively new to Electric Guitar, what is the difference between?

A £100 Electric, with Pots and pickups upgraded
or a big brand £1000 guitar

Is the sound quality going to be that much better? Or is it merely paying for the image?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Gone
Nearly there...



Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:43 - 16 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilDawson8270 wrote:
Interesting question, as somebody who is relatively new to Electric Guitar, what is the difference between?

A £100 Electric, with Pots and pickups upgraded
or a big brand £1000 guitar

Is the sound quality going to be that much better? Or is it merely paying for the image?


Better materials, better build quality. Not worth buying a better guitar until your playing skills develop to the point where you can tell the difference, to be honest.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ajbsmirnoff
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Dec 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:03 - 16 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are buying parts, I'd avoid scrimping on the neck. The feel of the neck and fretboard are your main point of contact with the guitar and a nice feeling/comfortable/playable neck is important.

you can grow to like a bad one, but I like it to be right from the start. The necks on Ibanez RG's are really quite good to play - sacrilege I know, but I think they are.



the 'Bender Crapocaster' - that is a superb label.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:10 - 16 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilDawson8270 wrote:
Interesting question, as somebody who is relatively new to Electric Guitar, what is the difference between?

A £100 Electric, with Pots and pickups upgraded
or a big brand £1000 guitar

Is the sound quality going to be that much better? Or is it merely paying for the image?


Provided you like the way the guitar plays, it's decent quality and you've got some decent pickups in there then there's not really going to be any real difference. I've played many guitars ranging from 50 quid to 8k (an old les paul owned by the guitarist from genesis). I just can't see it being worthwhile paying any more than 600 quid on a guitar and plenty of the ones around 500 quid played better than many of the high end ones.

There are plenty of guitars that are overpriced for what they are because they carry a well known name like "gibson". While, they are decent instruments, you'd be better off getting an epiphone and replacing the pickups. Then using the money saved towards a decent amp.

An amp is going to be the biggest factor in how good the guitar sounds. A squier strat through a high end amp like a mesa boogie mk4 or similar will sound great. A gibson les paul through a marshall MG will be not so great. Laughing

The biggest factor in sound is going to be how proficient the guitarist is. Give a squier strat to vai and he'll make it sound good.

I find Yamaha guitars to be decent quality for price. I would recommend them for a beginner who wants a decent quality instrument.

I just feel like a lot of guitars are sold through the image that the buyer aspires to have and are priced accordingly.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer



Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:57 - 16 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

david_m213 wrote:
I find Yamaha guitars to be decent quality for price. I would recommend them for a beginner who wants a decent quality instrument.


A couple of hundred quid on a Yamaha and you can't go wrong. Granted the pick ups are amazing but decent enough.

Untouched apart from binned the middle pick up and black volume & tone knobs. Think I paid £150 in a sale in around 2001/2 I'm going to have to change the silver bridge for a black one though. Laughing

https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/flip_/IMAG0067.jpg

Fancy a newer axe now, LTD or Ibanez around the £500 mark. Not that I need it. I'd keep the Yammy though. Smile


Last edited by Flip on 23:34 - 16 Jan 2011; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mistergixer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:19 - 16 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damon wrote:


'The Dangerous Book for Boys' - good read.

Thumbs Up
____________________
Space Monkey #7
Don Eladio is dead. His capos are dead. You have no one left to fight for. Fill your pockets and leave in peace. Or fight me and die!
Mistergixer's videos on YouTube
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Hockeystorm65
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 08 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:54 - 17 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be a common link...motorcycle maintenance and guitar building!

I make guitars as well and also build/rebuild amps, I made a couple of basses last year for my son to gig with and have a couple of 6 string projects under way - a Telecaster and a PRS(ish). Here are the two basses, both are Fender Precision style, the natural one used to be a Walnut tree near Shrewsbury.

https://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c210/Hockeystorm65/SodiumBass2-1.jpg

https://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c210/Hockeystorm65/EGOxygenBass3.jpg

https://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c210/Hockeystorm65/SodiumBassBody1.jpg
____________________
Good judgement comes from experience.....experience comes from bad judgement!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 269 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 1.81 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 83.41 Kb