Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Silicone implants?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:24 - 20 Jan 2011    Post subject: Silicone implants? Reply with quote

More often than not, there's an ad at the bottom of the forum page for silicone hoses.
If you go to their website they make various claims about their product.
One such claim is that using their hoses will reduce the coolant temperature in your bike.
Now for most of you this is probably not an issue, however for me it is.
My DRZ400E has no cooling fan, and if I ride it in the summer, here in Cyprus, it invariably start to boil the water if left idling even for 30 seconds.
(I Should point out that the temperature here rarely drops below 30c in the summer, so I don't think there is a problem with the bike).
So has anyone used Mr Samco's products, do they do what they say on the tin?

See what I did there, lured you in with innuendo, bored you to death, and not a mammary in sight. Twisted Evil
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

robocog
Traffic Copper



Joined: 17 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:41 - 20 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

IME its not going to drop temps by any considerable ammount

I suspect that they claim this based on people will be flushing their cooling system when fitting- similar to the braided brake lines claims?
(where in all probability just flushing old fluid and re-bleeding would also give much better brakes)

I have not done the silicone hose on a motorbike, but have on a car
Its a bit unqualified though as I also changed engines to a different one at that time so cannot give you a direct back to back comparison(and needed the new hoses to fit the new engine- otherwise I would have re-used the old uns)

May be worth looking at running "water wetter" ...but only if your 100% sure that the rest of the cooling system is working as it should (it probably wont make any difference for example if your real issue is a sludged up system or poor circulation due to water impeller being shafted or whatever)

Regards
Rob
____________________
Needs a bigger garage...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:09 - 20 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, the"E" runs notoriously hot, I've changed the coolant, there didn't appear to be a problem.

I've been looking at the water wetter route and might give that a go as well.

Anything that can lower the water temp would be good.

For the "E" the Samco hoses were less than 80 notes, I think, given the bike is a 2000 I might just treat it to a new set of hoses anyway.

Over on "Thumpertalk" there are plenty of folk fitting computer cooling fans to their "E's", so I think I'm not only one in hot water, as it were.
I'll give you an example, last winter, i'd done a bit of work on the bike, packed it in when it started to get dark. Had my tea then went out to start her up, started first time, let her idle for a bit.
I couldn't for the life of me work out were the red light was coming from, it's got no dash or warning lights. It wasn't until I walked round the front of the bike and saw the exhaust header pipe glowing orange! Shocked

Apparently this is normal on the "E" it relies on motion induced air cooling as well as the water system! Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:16 - 20 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you post a thread with that title and not have any tits?

Sheesh!
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

robocog
Traffic Copper



Joined: 17 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:18 - 20 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure the timing and fuel mix is ok?

I have only really seen glowing headers after some serious thrashing or badly adjusted setups (OK so not on your bike as I'm a newby when it comes to 2 wheels)

Glowing headers at idle just doesn't sound right to me

I could be wrong though

Worth putting an inline temp gauge or using an IR probe to see what the water temps are /really/ doing?
At least it'll give you an idea how much drop your looking for, if even needed, It could be a waste of dosh if the water wetter is only going to loose a couple of degrees

Have you checked the thermostat is working OK?
(and circulation is getting in and out of the rad....IR probe or even hand on inlet and exit on rad would give tha game away)

A fan on the rad I would have thought would be a cheaper and more sucessful fix than silicone hoses (and cheaper)

Regards
Rob
____________________
Needs a bigger garage...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:47 - 20 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest fitting a bigger radiator off something else, or an oil cooler.

A fan would help too. Although I'd probably be using a motorbike fan, not a PC one. You can just rig it up with a switch to turn it on and off.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:17 - 20 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

robocog wrote:
Sure the timing and fuel mix is ok?

I have only really seen glowing headers after some serious thrashing or badly adjusted setups (OK so not on your bike as I'm a newby when it comes to 2 wheels)

Glowing headers at idle just doesn't sound right to me

I could be wrong though


This is all from memory so I could be wrong as well, but glowing header pipe syndrome has been discussed, at length, over on "Thumpertalk" and would appear to be a common phenomenom.

Last time I looked at the plug the colouring indicated it was running well, and I don't have the problem in the winter! The valve clearances were done less than 500 miles ago.

As far as the fans go, IIRC, the "E" has a thicker radiator than both the "S" & "SM", so space for mounting them is limited, presumably computer cooling fans are thinner and, therefore easier to shoe horn in, probably cheaper as well.

Having said that I do have the twin radiators and fans I stripped off the Beemer I broke up a couple of months ago so I might check them fo size.

Specially for "Pinky", who seems to be fretting about the lack of actual tits in this thread, have a gander at these beauts, phwoaaaaaaar!!!!!





















https://f.polska.pl/gal/84/10/174/med.jpg

Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:22 - 20 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:


https://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o85/LaKsOy/Emoticons/wank.gif
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:30 - 20 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:


Those are Great Tits!
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 266 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 3.77 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 66.76 Kb