Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Broken USB stick

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

binge
Emo Kiddy



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:49 - 10 Feb 2011    Post subject: Broken USB stick Reply with quote

My sister has got all her uni work on a USB stick, and it's stopped working in her laptop.
She's tried it in another laptop too, and it still doesnt register.

I spoke to her yesterday, My Dad's had a look at it, and he's broken all the plastic casing away aparently to see if he can get it to work. Rolling Eyes

So now the current situation is that the memory card/chip part (The green bit), and the USB plug arent connected.


Is there any way I can use another USB stick, or a USB cable to wire up to the memory chip to retrieve the files?



Any help MUCH appreciated.



Ben
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

blurredman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:59 - 10 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, Maybe the connections have been bent and split.

But it is a good lesson for her not to rely soley on something which is completely destructable.
____________________
CBT: 12/06/10, Theory: 22/09/10, Module 1: 09/11/10, Module 2: 19/01/11
Past: 1991 Honda CG125BR-J, 1992 (1980) Honda XL125S, 1996 Kawasaki GPZ500S, 1979 MZ TS150.
Current: 1973 MZ ES250/2 - 18k, 1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 10k, 1981 Honda CX500B - 91k, 1987 MZ ETZ250 - 40k, 1989 MZ ETZ251 - 52k.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

woodyfjr
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 25 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:19 - 10 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't sound good, I had one go faulty on me but in my case it was just a dry joint and got it working but never trusted it again.
____________________
If you don't pay your exorcist you can get repossessed.

If you have to rev it! Don't Buy it!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:26 - 10 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

USB sticks are hugely dodgey for corruption and file loss I'm afraid. With uni work you need to have multiple copies.

May be worth speaking to the IT dept at her uni. We had some top data recovery guys at mine.

When I was at uni I had 1 copy of all my work on my home computer, another copy in an email account, and another copy on megaupload. Then on my USB stick as well. That way if one broke I had multiple back ups.
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

woodyfjr
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 25 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:52 - 10 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem when I was at college I had too back up on too Welsh Slate which could break and couldn't read it. Laughing

Seriously she could back up to Skydrive as its free or many others out there.
____________________
If you don't pay your exorcist you can get repossessed.

If you have to rev it! Don't Buy it!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

t121anf
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:42 - 10 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

our uni is full of idiots who think 1 copy is enough, unfortunately there are even some who work all day without saving so autosave doesn't work and then cry when the PC crashes and its bye bye dissertation.

binge, plenty of companies on google suggest they can get your data back, but it will cost, depends on what its worth to her
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:49 - 10 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Binge,

Pic please dude
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:56 - 10 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will get some pictures of it tonight. Me sister is dropping it off at mine so I can have a look at it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:27 - 10 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big_Ham wrote:
USB sticks are hugely dodgey for corruption and file loss I'm afraid.


Really Confused ?

How so?

I was always under the impression that flash memory is one of the most robust forms of data storage.

If you've got corrupted files, it's usually a problem between the keyboard and the chair. They don't like being removed while mounted and they definately don't like being unplugged while doing a write.

Other than that, the main problems are in the internal connections within the casings which is why I buy one-piece potted ones.

@ binge. If you can get it pieced back together, try mounting it on a linux machine. Puppy is very good at mounting all manner of media.

Oh, and you don't need the metal bit round the outside of the plug, just the middle bit (4 wires).

I use these flash drives, Nothing to break on them. I've had one on my keyring for 2 years:
https://www.bestusbmemory.com/productimg/Transcend%20JetFlash%20T3-3K%20USB%20F01.jpg
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lllN30lll
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:32 - 10 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

What brand was it? and was it a genuine one?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:57 - 10 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant recall a make now, I have nothing other than the green circuit board from inside it.

https://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac227/pitbikeben/2011-02-10215116.jpg

https://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac227/pitbikeben/2011-02-10215109.jpg

https://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac227/pitbikeben/2011-02-10215055.jpg

https://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac227/pitbikeben/2011-02-10215046.jpg

https://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac227/pitbikeben/2011-02-10214815.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:12 - 10 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solder on a new usb plug mate.

Simples, get ur ass to maplins with it and ask them for one.

should work, has worked for me in the past
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:15 - 11 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could I get 4 lengths of very thin wire, and do it that way.
It's just the thing is TINY. Like, very small. And im clumsy.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:21 - 11 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do solder it, be quick otherwise you will detroy the memory chip with heat. Best thing would be to solder some wire on then onto a normal usb plug.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:24 - 11 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do, just make sure you do it the right way mate. u can tell which way it should go by seeing where the lugs have snapped off from the plug and matching them upto the lugs stuck in the PCB.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:07 - 11 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blurredman wrote:
But it is a good lesson for her not to rely soley on something which is completely destructable.


This.

Loss of USB sticks here at the NHS have to have a risk assessment as (although encrypted) they usually contain patient data. I had a call from a woman who kept her USB stick on a lanyard with her ID card. When finishing a loo trip, the lanyard caught on the cubicle door handle, and she watched the stick ping off and make a perfect arc into the still flushing pan.

Another woman kept her stick on her keys, but didn't take it off when using it. Leaving for lunch she just grabbed her keys and went - while the stick was still plugged in to the PC. Cue one snapped USB stick.

They're great for transporting data, but I'd never rely on one as the only copy.
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ncrn
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:48 - 11 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you don't get it working again tell your sister to install Dropbox on any computer she uses. If you save your work in the Dropbox folder it automatically backs it up online (up to 2GB) and you are able to download/upload files and folders via a web browser if you are using a university PC.

Even if she does still use a USB drive to carry stuff around it will still make backups for next time something goes wrong. It also keeps a record of the last 30 or so versions of the file so if she gets something seriously wrong and saves the file its not a total loss.
____________________
Past: 55 Sym Jet, 91 ZZR250, 03 NSR125R. Present: 97 ER-5.
https://www.nsr125.co.uk - NSR Owners forum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Snodvan
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 22 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:12 - 11 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up for DROPBOX

Been using it for a year or so as a way to send very large files to colleagues around the world. Easy to register. Free if you put up with a few advewrts. Your dropbox gets bigger every time there is take-up of one of your recommendations to another person

Snod
____________________
04 (UK Reg) BMW F650cs, but really 02 first Reg in Holland
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kawashima
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:24 - 13 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always save on HDD many times while working on files, and when I finish it, I copy it on my USB. (I always have back up on HDD and I delete it when I don't need it anymore)
I always copy the file and change file name adding "-02" before editing it in case the file broken.
Working on USB : saving many times on USB leads to waring flash memory life unnecessarily.
Compact USB which has micro SD inside usually use D3 chips. D3 chips are not so reliable compared to D2 chip. which is not good at saving the data for a long time.
I don't suggest saving important data into D3 chips USB or micro SD. If you choose USB with ready boost function, it's usually at least D2 chip USB. D1 chip (SLC) are usually not used for USB but for good SSD or really high speed SDHC cards.
____________________
own:2020 Serow 250
owned: 2012 YB125SP, 2008 TDM900, 2005 W650, 2002 LS125R, 2002 CB400SF, NS50F, C50 / Trip to UK(2009), Hokkaido touring(2013)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:40 - 13 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in IT.

I see soo many people who have lost data.

I went to a customers the other day, who luckily I visited 3 years ago. They were using an old PC as a server (to save money, no raid etc), what I did was to stick another hard drive in to it and wrote a simply robocopy script (ie robocopy c:\data d:\data /SEC /R:0 /E) that runs every hour.

What had happend the main hard drive had died, but all the data was on the other hard drive, so no major loss.

These days, there are soo many ways to backup your data, If your a virgin customer they provide it for free and it just runs in the background, alternatively Hotmail, gives you 25Gb and you can simply upload the files to it.

Just last night I was called by a mate who is a translator (who worked speaking french in IT for 8 years), whose laptop hard drive has gone and I don't think he has a backup!. Hopefully I can mount the hard drive, but i'll have to see.

It's amazing how many people do not do backups. For me my family photos are the most important thing I own, I have 2 hard drives on my PC which are mirrored by robocopy, I have all the pictures, copied to an External Hard Drive, 2 laptops & Western digital HD. I also have the virgin V stuff backup service which has everything uploaded, Once a year I also copy all of my photos/documents on to a new 2.5" sata HD and leave it at a relatives.

You can not be too careful.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:39 - 13 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Binge,

You get it sorted?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:10 - 14 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldnt get the connector back onto it. So I chopped up a perfectly good USB lead. Looked on the internet to find out which wires did what. Then spent fucking hours with a soldering iron to get this...

https://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/180048_10150100129360606_506045605_6204402_260628_n.jpg


And the poxy thing still doesnt work. I think what's happened is, it originally stopped registering in the PC because of corruption or whatever.
Then between my sister and my Dad, they managed to pull it apart and completely fuck it.
I've "fixed" it, but only got it back to square 1, where it wasn't registering in a PC.

I cant see why what I've done wouldn't work.




Meh.



Ben
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:42 - 14 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gutted,

Post a hi-res pic focusing on the soldered wires please dude.

Cheers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:04 - 14 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the best my camera has got im afraid. Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:07 - 14 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

You deffo sure you have put the wires in the correct order?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 230 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.63 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 130.27 Kb