Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


General Advice

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

maccidees2002
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 22 Jan 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:57 - 22 Jan 2011    Post subject: General Advice Reply with quote

Hi All
First post so might as well just get stuck in.I know you get all theses questions constantly as I've spent a long time read through this sections but would really appreciate peoples advice and experience to help with my situation.
Ok I have been wanting my bike license for a very long time but family commitments and finances have always got in the way I'm now 34 so not as young as most going for there test but i'm now in a situation where I can do this finacially and comitment wise.
However I also now live abroad in Portugal.
In order for me to have my bike test validated on my uk license I need to pass my test in the uk so at some point in the next 12 months I intend to come over for a week and I'm hoping to do a DAS course but over a 4/5 day period.
What are peoples opinions on this option and what / how is the best way to go about it.
I have silly blonde questions as well which are things like I am only 5,2 will this be a problem.
any help and advice would be great the only bike experience I have besides being a passenger is a couple of months riding on a twist gear vespa! I have held a full uk license since 1993.

any advice would be great and thanks in advance for any help.


Last edited by maccidees2002 on 00:43 - 23 Jan 2011; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

fiveus
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 29 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:10 - 23 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your going about it in the correct way as long as your old enough to do your das Thumbs Up

Where abouts are your planning doing your das.Might be an idea to look up trainning schools in that area. And give them a ring.

Your height is fine bikes come in all different sizes.So sit on a few and find one that feels right

a helpfull link for you

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCQQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.begin-motorcycling.co.uk%2F&rct=j&q=motorcycle%20trainning&ei=dmM7TcT1BoTLhAewrJiLCg&usg=AFQjCNEp3xeCa62rUNIRfmPAjwLMESqAHQ&cad=rja
good luck with your trainning Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:10 - 23 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

First tip, it's "advice", not "advise".

Second tip, your height doesn't matter, your inside leg does.
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

maccidees2002
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 22 Jan 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:18 - 23 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
First tip, it's "advice", not "advise".

Second tip, your height doesn't matter, your inside leg does.



Thanks for the correction.....My posts will always have typos as i'm dyslexic and re read it and thought I did well lol .........

Will use the spell check tool next time Embarassed (All Misspelt advices corrected I think)

Regards DAS I'm 34 so think I qualify with the above 21 yrs rule.
and as for location it doesnt really matter Ideally in and around northwest as thats where my family are based in the uk but not essential as only going over for the test so can stay in a b&b anywhere! will look at the links.

Thank you
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:36 - 23 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

maccidees2002 wrote:
blah blah blah i'm dyslexic and blah de blah


Sure you are. Probably diagnosed all official and everything, right?

https://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20100116.gif
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

maccidees2002
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 22 Jan 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:08 - 23 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to say thank you for all your constructive ADVICE and since I came on here for Advice on a bike test rather than a FUCKING spelling and grammer Lesson. I shall leave you lovely people to yourselves!!!

Thank you Fiveus shame others are not similar
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MattJ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:23 - 23 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

No advice but all I can say is that you are a brave man for wanting to ride a bike in Portugal, the drivers over there are lunatics from what I've experienced.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

621andy
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 07 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:21 - 23 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same thing last year.

I'm based in Germany, but work worldwide, and only have limited time to do anything!

I did my DAS with BMTC in Bristol, and can only say good things about them Wink

However, be warned; you'll need to do the bike theory test, before you can do anything else! I was lucky, and managed to get a date that fitted with me being in the UK, at 0730 in the morning. I'd already booked a course with BMTC on the proviso I passed my theory before turning up. Luckily all went to plan( look online for sample questions, plusnthere's plenty of info on here)

Schools tend to block book test dates, so there's more chance of you getting a chance to do it all the bits during your week, although I ended up running out of time to get mod 2 done, and had to go back over in october for a bit of training and the test, but manged it with a half days training and a quick hour before the test.

It IS possible to do it in 4-5 days, but if the test times don't fit in, then be prepared to go back and finish things off. The main problem is having to pass each stage before moving onto the next.
I basically did the CBT on a 125, and then did it all again on a 500. Did Mod1 on the 500 and found it all much easier as the bike is more stable and has the power to get up to speed on the swerves and emrrgency stop.

The only problem as far as I can see is your shortarseness Wink
But the 500s most schools use seem fairly low. However at 6' 4" it's difficult for me to judge Laughing

Oh, and you'll need a UK address. I ended up using my grannies retirement home, as I don't have a current UK address. It's a bit dodgy, but there doesn't seem to be a way round it. Doing the same course in Germany was prohibitively expensive, and it still worked out cheaper to fly over, hire a car and do the mod 2 separately!

If you want any more detailed info, then PM me...

Good luck...
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
____________________
'93 Africa Twin RD07, C-90,MTX-125,H-100,XL-125, a 125UAG(CG copy!)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:18 - 23 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd need to arrange your theory and CBT first...
after that, yes you can do your DAS in 3-5 days with very little experience.

I've been driving for a number of years before I was in a position to go ahead with my bike test, and at the age of 35. on the morning of my CBT I'd never even sat on a motorbike, but still managed to complete my DAS and pass the test 1st time

( Thumbs Up to Simon, Stefan and Tony at Cardiff Motorcycle School)
____________________
1st bike (Sept'06 - May'10) : 1991 GPZ500S / Current bike (since Nov 2009) : 2003 Suzuki Bandit 600N
Word of the day : DILLIGAF
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 31 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:46 - 23 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Rogerborg"]
maccidees2002 wrote:
blah blah blah i'm dyslexic and blah de blah


Sure you are. Probably diagnosed all official and everything, right?



you know its ^that^ attitude that made me chin my english teacher .......dyslexia makes it really hard to learn how to read and type properly my uncle has to use a dictation program due to being unable to type at all.so if all you can do is moan about his spelling and you havent got a useful comment to say to the guy fuck off !!!!!!!!!!


maccidees2002 go for it mate tho if you could get a shot on a geared bike first it would probably help
____________________
2014 Aprillia dorsoduro 750 factory.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

blurredman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:52 - 23 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dazbo666 wrote:
( Thumbs Up to Simon, Stefan and Tony at Cardiff Motorcycle School)


I had stefan, the bald one? Nice bloke!

Still, wasn't willing to pay that amount for lessons. Laughing
____________________
CBT: 12/06/10, Theory: 22/09/10, Module 1: 09/11/10, Module 2: 19/01/11
Past: 1991 Honda CG125BR-J, 1992 (1980) Honda XL125S, 1996 Kawasaki GPZ500S, 1979 MZ TS150.
Current: 1973 MZ ES250/2 - 18k, 1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 10k, 1981 Honda CX500B - 91k, 1987 MZ ETZ250 - 40k, 1989 MZ ETZ251 - 52k.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

maccidees2002
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 22 Jan 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:52 - 23 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

First want to say I'm glad I checked back this morning thank you all for the advice , especially about the theory test I'll have to try and get it timed right.
I Might go back and do theory and cbt and then go back later and hopefully do mod 1 and 2, Its the theory that bothers me most as if i'm shown how to do things i.e riding the bike I get it quicker than reading etc
I'm definately doing it regardless of how long and how many failures as its something I've always wanted since my dad did his.


MattJ wrote:
No advice but all I can say is that you are a brave man for wanting to ride a bike in Portugal, the drivers over there are lunatics from what I've experienced.


The simple answer to this MattJ is that i'm not a man Laughing

Yes the drivers over here are lunatics and you have to watch every move they make.... we havent quite sussed out what is required for a driving test over here yet but you definately need to be able to double park , park on roundabouts and know where your horn is...... theses may be the only criteria!!

a friend of ours over here has a DRZ that they have said I can have a go on to get used to the gears etc and they can arrange an area where the only thing I can damage is me or the bike and they don't mind if the bike gets dropped (good thing really as it probably will)

I have got a copy of TWIST OF THE WRIST II and will be watching that today probably as well as finding the online theory tests etc.
Is there any other books or vids etc that anyone can recommend?

Thanks
Again
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:00 - 23 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get practising the hazard perception part of the theory, as that is the part that catches most people out.

I used the 3 click method and passed first time.

The 3 click method is:

1. Click when you see a hazard.
2. Click when it develops.
3. Click again, just in case you were too quick with your first click.

When I say it develops, that means you have to brake or change direction because of the hazard.

Finally, good luck.
____________________
Suzuki GSF600 K3 (in the fastest colour, black).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jodie
Crazy Courier



Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:42 - 23 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome Maccidees.

Get learning your theory asap, I started doing the free one online and then bought a cd rom from the local supermarket as I found the hazard perception hard to get grips with.

Order one off ebay, you will soon master it. It's well worth putting in the effort.

It is not hard if you have practised, so if you're confident with it you may be able to fit it in with your weeks direct access.

Good luck and don't let some people on here put you off coming on Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

maccidees2002
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 22 Jan 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:31 - 23 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all I have done 2 of the hazard perception tests this morning and got a 4 and a 3 so will be practising lots on them and the theory.
Practise makes perfect as they say!!! also hoping to get on my friends bike this week coming but I'm away for the weekend so may be difficult.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:33 - 28 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

maccidees2002 wrote:
Practise makes perfect as they say!!


Actually if you practice doing things wrong, you'll only excel in doing it wrong every time...make sure your practice 'Perfect Practice' (with a c Wink ).

Welcome to the forum. Thumbs Up
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

whitedevil
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:02 - 28 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also be aware that if you fail the mod1 you have to wait 3 days before you can try again, and if you fail the mod 2 you have to wait 10 days to try again.
So if you're planning 2 trips do the theory, cbt and mod 1 on the 1st trip.

Oh and good luck Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Oldie
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 05 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:48 - 29 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly check to see if Portugal is designated for driving licence exchange purposes. If it is, you don't have to come back to the UK to sit your test.

Check out the MCN website (Learners section) and probably the DSA site as well.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

AJ9000
Nova Slayer



Joined: 24 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:42 - 29 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid about ten quid for a months access to 70 hazard perception clips and all the test questions (couple of hundred).

Theory-test.co.uk was the site. Sometimes the clips were desparately slow, but that might have been my computer.

Nonetheless, I found it a great help, other than don't overdo it; it is of no benefit when you watch a clip where you know where the hazards are!

Good luck!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

maccidees2002
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 22 Jan 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:49 - 10 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm All booked to come over to the uk in March for my das. A friend over here is a bike mechanic and is lowering a drz so I can have a practice doing gears , clutch control and slow riding before I go.
So until then I am practicing the theory and hazard perception cd.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

fiveus
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 29 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:37 - 10 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

maccidees2002 wrote:
I'm All booked to come over to the uk in March for my das. A friend over here is a bike mechanic and is lowering a drz so I can have a practice doing gears , clutch control and slow riding before I go.
So until then I am practicing the theory and hazard perception cd.


Excellent news..Keep us posted on your progress and good luck Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 31 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:41 - 10 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one mate Smile
____________________
2014 Aprillia dorsoduro 750 factory.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SweenyT
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:08 - 10 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome.

Don't let the crazy people on this site put you off, it is a great forum especially if you need advice, guidance, let off steam or whatever.

If I remember right on the actual theory test you can have the questions read out to you as well which may make it easier. I know you can on the practice CD/DVD. If anything give the test centre a ring beforehand to check if you feel it will help.

To the grammar/spelling police, so what if he's dyslexic, no-one would never have suspected if he hadn't said and as long as people can understand what's being written then whose business is it anyway. The amount of spelling and grammar mistakes that people make on here on any given day makes it kind of pointless don't you think? All I can say is I've found all of the dyslexic people I've met have been extremely intelligent and knowledgeable. Finally, thank goodness for spell check as I rely on it and I'm not dyslexic. Right that's me off my high horse Shocked

Good luck with figuring out the gears and on your tests etc in March.
____________________
Current ride - 2005 Suzuki GSX-R600 K4 - 2x 2014 Honda NC750s long term courtesy bikes - 2003 Fazer FZ6 written off as idiot reversed into me - 2009 YBR125 - still have from new
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

maccidees2002
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 22 Jan 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:24 - 10 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

Thanks for the replies will let you know how I get on even if its not good news!! but fingers crossed and lots of practice and hopfully everything will be fine! Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:11 - 10 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

SweenyT wrote:
To the grammar/spelling police, so what


I know zero about bikes...apart from how to ride them, so let me have my good spelling and grammar, and giving advice in Auntie BCF... it's all good, it's all meant in the highest possible regard. Only being helpful. Thumbs Up
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 240 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 1.11 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 137.94 Kb