Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Right, some travel advice from the more experienced bods...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:34 - 11 Mar 2011    Post subject: Right, some travel advice from the more experienced bods... Reply with quote

Currently I'm sat in Thailand, I have 6 months left on my Thai visa (and work is piss easy to get here) so I have a refuge of sorts.

Current plan, after a wee holiday, is to get work in Taiwan.

Having got done by this bollocks en route to South Africa of needing a return ticket to prove you will leave the country (what about if I'm going to swim, dickwads), has anyone got any advice?

As far as I can make out, I automatically get a 30 day visa to Taiwan on arrival... but I'm assuming I also have to have proof of exit.... Which (assuming I get a job) I'll then cancel.

How the fudge do I manage to do that cheaply? Both Taiwan and the flights are looking more expensive than I originally planned.

The alternative is to already get a tourist visa from the Taiwanese embassy (if Bangkok has one that is :S), but I still think proof of exit is required...

Thinking

Any tips?
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SlimRick
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:37 - 11 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of building work available in Taiwan very soon I would imagine!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:37 - 11 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same shit, different wrapper;

Consulate in Thailand wrote:
Make sure your attire is presentable, no shorts, torn clothes, sandals etc.
Bring your ticket or itinerary showing your departure out of Taiwan.
Express Service is available in Bangkok for an additional 50% of your regular fee.
You must bring 2 passport photos with your application.
You will need an employment authorization from the Council of Affairs if you are applying for a resident visa in order to get an ARC.
If you are applying for a tourist visa you will need proof of financial support such as a bank account statement showing sufficient funds

____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...


Last edited by Visitor Q on 10:38 - 11 Mar 2011; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:38 - 11 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlimRick wrote:
Plenty of building work available in Taiwan very soon I would imagine!


Doubt it, 4 m at the epicentre...
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:48 - 11 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Starts from 10th of March 2009, the new visa waiver policy allows current British passport holders to enter Taiwan for business or being a tourist for 90 days as long as their passports are valid more than 6 months.

Also they can extend their stay in Taiwan for another further 90 days before the initial 90 days visa free policy runs out.


Better Mr. Green

But;

Quote:
.A passport with validity of at least six months upon entry .

.Visa-exempt entry is only applicable to formal passports, not including emergency, temporary, other informal passports or travel documents.

.Japanese Citizens are entitled to hold passports with validity of at least three months, under the same requirements, unless otherwise stipulated by treaty or agreement)

.A confirmed return air/sea ticket or an air/sea ticket and a visa for the next destination, and a confirmed seat reservation for departure.

.No criminal record or not listed by the local authorities.

____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:12 - 16 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any advice guys, going to the 'embassy' on Friday, looking pretty, but without anything booked yet.

Going to see what I can wrangle....

Money is fairly short (or at least tight), so I don't want to just piss in the wind. If I can get a cheap sea-ferry ticket or something, maybe that would be better.

Hmmm, gay... total gay.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:59 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to do paid work in Taiwan you'll need a visa that allows this (unless you're going under the radar - in which case be prepared for the consequences). Visiting on business is not the same as visiting to work there.

I was mostly ambivalent about Taiwan - only there a few days but did it with a local family so saw the 'real' places. Some real nice stuff to see and do and some really Americanised city culture.
____________________
Yamaha XJ600 | Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat | KTM 990 SMT | BMW F900XR TE
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:27 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about flying to HK from Bangkok. Then getting your return ticket from there to Taiwan....then extend it...or cancel it from there. It must be a lot closer.

Stopover in Kowloon will be fairly cheap...and HK is a pretty nifty place to visit.
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:26 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like they're being quite hot on overstayers or people coming there to work without a permit. This could backfire on you, something tells me that Taiwanese immigration removal centres aren't as welcoming as British ones. The innate racism of Chinese/Taiwanese could also work against you.

Easiest bet is to decide how long you want to stay and book a ticket for the right amount of time, 3 months could be long enough out there, could be a shit place when you get there. Alternative is to pay more for the ticket to get one that you can cancel and still get most of the money back.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:37 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go there, get work, get visa.

Or.

Go there, don't get work, go somewhere else.

I'm sure I'll be ok.

Much as I love third-hand gossip about the evils of Taiwan and how I'll be getting my ring piece tickled by immigration... Rolling Eyes

Clanger, that's a pretty swish idea actually. Will have to have a quick check of the visa regs for Hong Kong.

Robby. I am oriental super man. I'm sure I'll cope. The Taiwanese/Chinese just take a dim view of sex tourism.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 201 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.53 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 71.7 Kb