Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


That's-ah my boy...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:04 - 14 Mar 2011    Post subject: That's-ah my boy... Reply with quote

My boy had to do a talk at school about his taekwondo and kickboxing and wanted a showcase reel type thing to show his classmates as well, so we came up with this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brWvsmuwKUc&feature=player_embedded
____________________
A Guide To Powerbands
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dragstaar
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:18 - 14 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your kid Pwns.

Just don;t let it all get to his head, cz then he'll become a dickhead, and he'll be a poser. and that means at some point someone will get pissed off and shoot him or something. If you dont want a problem teenager on your hands, make sure he knows its called Self Defence for a reason.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:35 - 14 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL @ 2mins Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

tvchimp
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:15 - 14 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
LOL @ 2mins Very Happy


+1 lol...


Kids got skills.
____________________
Bike: Currently Bikeless... Gahh
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:17 - 14 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously impressed!
I have done martial arts in the past, Karate about 8 years and dabbled for a couple years in Tai-Kwando and kick boxing. I see a lot of good abilities there, in the future he’ll be able to look back on this and be proud. He’s accurate and that side kick he does springs off the back leg perfectly IMO…that’ll improve with age. Thumbs Up
Two things I think he should really concentrate on now being that versed. Patience and positioning. If he took his time a little more he’d deliver those strikes with so much force and secondly because of that it can appear sloppy in positioning. But hey, he’ better than I was at that age! Laughing
1:31 – The kid crying.
FTW
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Carl_steveo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:23 - 14 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol @ 1:03, the kid he's fighting reminds me of a boxing kangeroo.
____________________
Current: Honda Nsr 125
Live: Sunderland
Luke "cant be arsed to read your post, but suck my balls anyway."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:29 - 14 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragstaar wrote:
Your kid Pwns.

Just don;t let it all get to his head, cz then he'll become a dickhead, and he'll be a poser. and that means at some point someone will get pissed off and shoot him or something. If you dont want a problem teenager on your hands, make sure he knows its called Self Defence for a reason.

Don't worry, I've no worries on that score. He's as nice a kid out of the ring as he is a terrorist in it, and he's surprisingly humble with it all, much more than I'd be if I was that good I think Very Happy

tvchimp wrote:
CaNsA wrote:
LOL @ 2mins Very Happy


+1 lol...


Kids got skills.

True, but he does work very hard for them. Have to say, the lad at 2:00 is a tough little mofo tho, no matter what punishment he takes he always gets back up and carries on fighting like a tiger. I've more respect for him than anyone else he's fought.

killa wrote:
Seriously impressed!
I have done martial arts in the past, Karate about 8 years and dabbled for a couple years in Tai-Kwando and kick boxing. I see a lot of good abilities there, in the future he’ll be able to look back on this and be proud. He’s accurate and that side kick he does springs off the back leg perfectly IMO…that’ll improve with age. Thumbs Up
Two things I think he should really concentrate on now being that versed. Patience and positioning. If he took his time a little more he’d deliver those strikes with so much force and secondly because of that it can appear sloppy in positioning. But hey, he’ better than I was at that age! Laughing
1:31 – The kid crying.
FTW

It's interesting you picked up on that, as that is probably his biggest weakness atm, and something we've been working on since his last competition. Part of the problem is when he hasn't fought for a few months (he missed a lot of comps while he worked for his blackbelt in TKD) and he can't help but start tearing things up in a somewhat frenzied fashion Smile The plan is to do more comps this year though, so hopefully that'll help and it'll be less of an issue.

CHR15 wrote:
fuuuu.

remind me not to fight your son.

You don't need to worry, CHR15, you're an adult. You can run faster than him... Very Happy

(but he's so fit he *will* catch up with you eventually)

Wink
____________________
A Guide To Powerbands
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:06 - 14 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real question is how many clones of Mr Hammers' son could you beat up all at once? Thinking
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Blackwolf
Burgerfist



Joined: 19 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:29 - 14 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonnyBrago wrote:
The real question is how many clones of Mr Hammers' son could you beat up all at once? Thinking


Theres only one way to find outtt....
____________________
Current: Ducati Multistrada 1200s
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:48 - 14 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Hammers wrote:
It's interesting you picked up on that, as that is probably his biggest weakness atm, and something we've been working on since his last competition. Part of the problem is when he hasn't fought for a few months (he missed a lot of comps while he worked for his blackbelt in TKD) and he can't help but start tearing things up in a somewhat frenzied fashion Smile The plan is to do more comps this year though, so hopefully that'll help and it'll be less of an issue.


There really isn’t anything wrong with the frenzied style attack right now, it works. I believe if he cottons on quickly to the fact most of those lads are leaving themselves open, with his already honed accuracy he’d pick them apart.
Saying that, when I was in competitions adrenaline kicks in and you lose sight of most of that. My biggest downfall myself was not noticing how much I had dropped my guard because I tried kicking too much. My kicks were ace but sometimes I ended up getting a smack in the mouth for being lazy with my arms Confused
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man



Joined: 21 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:37 - 14 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive. Shocked

Must be nice to have that confidence and ability at such a young age. Don't imagine he will have to worry about bullying etc.

If he can maintain the humility through his teens then he will have it cracked.

Good on the pair of you Thumbs Up
____________________
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:01 - 14 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

1:18 is brilliant.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:10 - 14 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

He loves that kick Laughing
____________________
'99 Hornet 600 Sad, VFR 400 NC30 '92 Neutral, Kasawamasaki GT 550 Crying or Very sad, '98 Hornet 600 Mr. Green
**\Tarmacsurfer/** said: It's that immaculately manly coiffure of yours isn't it. One glimpse of your virile locks and the punters can't wait to buy whatever it is you suggest, as it might let them be just a little bit like the Adonis that is our very own Molly Very Happy Doovydoo said: Its not my fault I can't get it up properly, I just wasn't blessed Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:29 - 14 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Hammers wrote:
dragstaar wrote:
Your kid Pwns.

Just don;t let it all get to his head, cz then he'll become a dickhead, and he'll be a poser. and that means at some point someone will get pissed off and shoot him or something. If you dont want a problem teenager on your hands, make sure he knows its called Self Defence for a reason.

Don't worry, I've no worries on that score. He's as nice a kid out of the ring as he is a terrorist in it, and he's surprisingly humble with it all, much more than I'd be if I was that good I think Very Happy

tvchimp wrote:
CaNsA wrote:
LOL @ 2mins Very Happy


+1 lol...


Kids got skills.

True, but he does work very hard for them. Have to say, the lad at 2:00 is a tough little mofo tho, no matter what punishment he takes he always gets back up and carries on fighting like a tiger. I've more respect for him than anyone else he's fought.

killa wrote:
Seriously impressed!
I have done martial arts in the past, Karate about 8 years and dabbled for a couple years in Tai-Kwando and kick boxing. I see a lot of good abilities there, in the future he’ll be able to look back on this and be proud. He’s accurate and that side kick he does springs off the back leg perfectly IMO…that’ll improve with age. Thumbs Up
Two things I think he should really concentrate on now being that versed. Patience and positioning. If he took his time a little more he’d deliver those strikes with so much force and secondly because of that it can appear sloppy in positioning. But hey, he’ better than I was at that age! Laughing
1:31 – The kid crying.
FTW

It's interesting you picked up on that, as that is probably his biggest weakness atm, and something we've been working on since his last competition. Part of the problem is when he hasn't fought for a few months (he missed a lot of comps while he worked for his blackbelt in TKD) and he can't help but start tearing things up in a somewhat frenzied fashion Smile The plan is to do more comps this year though, so hopefully that'll help and it'll be less of an issue.

CHR15 wrote:
fuuuu.

remind me not to fight your son.

You don't need to worry, CHR15, you're an adult. You can run faster than him... Very Happy

(but he's so fit he *will* catch up with you eventually)

Wink


Looking at the beginning, he has a very good elft hand, of course he is a south paw.

I don't know much of TKD as such, but if you can get him to use a jab more, and a right hook, then he can be very good. His favourite is that side kick, which is very effective and he has very good timing.

When it came to his punching in competition, it got a bit sloppy. I assume because it has been edited, some parts were sloppy right? If not then he is very good.

For his age, he is extremely good. Very fast hands, how long can he keep that speed for on the pads?

His legs and balance when kicking is very good. His composure too. He has a professional look when his opponent is on the dloor.

I do feel his balance when punching can be off, his body backwards a little. I like my boxing and I guess TKD is more like Muay Thai where you're more square so you don't get kicked so much?

What is his record and the record of guys he has faced?
____________________
Hit the G spot. Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:35 - 14 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildGoose wrote:
Impressive. Shocked

Must be nice to have that confidence and ability at such a young age. Don't imagine he will have to worry about bullying etc.

If he can maintain the humility through his teens then he will have it cracked.

Good on the pair of you Thumbs Up


I would say most of the kids that can fight like that are the ones who do not.

A friend of mine was trained by his dad, both brothers in fact. His dad was a kick boxing champ in Burma.

Basically they are both fairly non aggressive guys to this day from age 7, but both could do the splits and even round houses etc... at that age. They have had like 3 real fights each max, and totally destroyed these guys, but that's not that much really.

Guys that know they can fight, usually don't and just walk on. Mentally I guess they know it's not worth it.

Both of them are incredibly strong too, they can arm wrestle guys 18 stones of muscle and beat them while they are about 14 or 15. Yet they aren't overly muscular themselves.

Sometimes it really is the quiet ones that you have to watch out for.
____________________
Hit the G spot. Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mistergixer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:46 - 14 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff there, it was fun for me to see some familiar faces in the background too.

What did surprise me is that the ITF content was of free-sparring only. No patterns, fundamentals etc.

As an (ex)ITF instructor, i can't help myself but remind you that free sparring is only a very small part of TKD. General Choi repeatedly stressed that it was probably the least important part of the circle of TKD, and that to concentrate on it (to the detriment of the other components) can lead to the development of negative character traits.

It is good fun though.

Thumbs Up
____________________
Space Monkey #7
Don Eladio is dead. His capos are dead. You have no one left to fight for. Fill your pockets and leave in peace. Or fight me and die!
Mistergixer's videos on YouTube
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:52 - 14 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistergixer wrote:
Good stuff there, it was fun for me to see some familiar faces in the background too.

What did surprise me is that the ITF content was of free-sparring only. No patterns, fundamentals etc.

As an (ex)ITF instructor, i can't help myself but remind you that free sparring is only a very small part of TKD. General Choi repeatedly stressed that it was probably the least important part of the circle of TKD, and that to concentrate on it (to the detriment of the other components) can lead to the development of negative character traits.

It is good fun though.

Thumbs Up


Just a question, have you used any TKD in a real fight before? What was effective?

I have sparred with a friend who used his legs to block me, and kick. I use to do that when I learnt Kung Fu, but now I am much more into boxing. It was effective at keeping me at distance for sure.
____________________
Hit the G spot. Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:40 - 14 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of the Best is on Channel 5 at 11.15
____________________
Hit the G spot. Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:19 - 16 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

killa wrote:
There really isn’t anything wrong with the frenzied style attack right now, it works. I believe if he cottons on quickly to the fact most of those lads are leaving themselves open, with his already honed accuracy he’d pick them apart.
Saying that, when I was in competitions adrenaline kicks in and you lose sight of most of that. My biggest downfall myself was not noticing how much I had dropped my guard because I tried kicking too much. My kicks were ace but sometimes I ended up getting a smack in the mouth for being lazy with my arms Confused

I agree, frenzy is good! It's just that it needs to be controlled frenzy, knowing when to go mental and when not to, as I'm sure you already know. If he's competing regularly it's less of a problem, and he's more in control. It's only when he hasn't fought for a while and like you say the adrenaline starts to kick in. Smile

When we coach the younger ones now we always make a big deal of making sure they keep their guard up at all times when teaching them how to kick, so it becomes natural and ingrained for them, so they don't get a smack in the mouth too Smile

WildGoose wrote:
Impressive. Shocked

Must be nice to have that confidence and ability at such a young age. Don't imagine he will have to worry about bullying etc.

No, there's been a few times where we used to live when some various older kids have tried it on with him. He made sure they regretted messing with him though, and word seemed to get around fairly quickly... Smile It's a lot less worrying for me too, like when I send him to the shops or something, knowing he can look after himself (and his sister).

Quote:
If he can maintain the humility through his teens then he will have it cracked.

Definitely. From early on I've explained to him that his skills mean absolutely nothing, if he doesn't have the good character to go with them. I hope he always remembers that, and I'm pretty confident he will. Praying Very Happy

Quote:
Good on the pair of you Thumbs Up

Cool, thank you!

MinhDinh wrote:
When it came to his punching in competition, it got a bit sloppy. I assume because it has been edited, some parts were sloppy right? If not then he is very good.


Yes and no, sometimes he can be sloppy, but if he is, more often than not it's borne out of trying to pack so much into the limited round times.

Quote:
For his age, he is extremely good. Very fast hands, how long can he keep that speed for on the pads?


Certainly longer than me or his trainer! He's very fit and in good condition. One time, working the bag I made him punch continuously, as fast and as hard as he could for 5 mins. 5 minutes turned into 12 before he was finally ready to stop Very Happy

Quote:
His legs and balance when kicking is very good. His composure too. He has a professional look when his opponent is on the dloor.

I think TKD from an early age helped a lot with that.

Quote:
I do feel his balance when punching can be off, his body backwards a little. I like my boxing and I guess TKD is more like Muay Thai where you're more square so you don't get kicked so much?

I'm not so up on boxing, but yes, I'm pretty sure there's more leaning forward as you don't have to worry about getting kicked. That said, there's benefits in every art, especially boxing, so we're not adverse to also learning what boxing has to offer.

Quote:
What is his record and the record of guys he has faced?

Not sure exactly, as after a while we began to take less notice of the results (TKD especially can be a bit biased in it's judging sometimes...Wink ) and more notice of his actual performance instead. It's always nice to be declared the winner of course, but for most comps it's pretty insignificant, tbh. The best thing about winning for him is that he can get through to the next round and fight some more Smile

That said, if I had to guess it's probably something like a 75-80% win ratio.

mistergixer wrote:
Good stuff there, it was fun for me to see some familiar faces in the background too.

What did surprise me is that the ITF content was of free-sparring only. No patterns, fundamentals etc.

Every (TKD) tournament he does he will always do patterns and will usually get a gold or silver, occasionally a bronze, but while they're important I don't think they wouldn't have really added to the entertainment factor of the video in this case.

Quote:
As an (ex)ITF instructor, i can't help myself but remind you that free sparring is only a very small part of TKD. General Choi repeatedly stressed that it was probably the least important part of the circle of TKD, and that to concentrate on it (to the detriment of the other components) can lead to the development of negative character traits.

The only reply I was sure of when I posted this was this from you - and I honestly don't mean that in a bad way Smile

This is partly why we're going more into the direction of more kickboxing than TKD now. He *loves* to fight and fight hard, and TKD isn't a such good a context for that. But I agree with you about the character building, which is why we still continue with TKD.

I do two problems with it though. One, the biggest one, is the lack of funding (I realise money's tight everywhere though, of course) but he's done some England squad training and has proved to be the best in his class, and was offered to chance to fight in the England team. But the championships in Estonia recently would have cost us over a grand to go. I just can't afford that, and as there's no funding means that the English team are short of their best competitor in his group. Also, the training days are in Reading and not Abingdon now and as we all know travelling anywhere is getting more and more expensive. Not an ideal situation, but what can you do.

The second is what we've discussed before, (and came to no real conclusion) and that is my belief that a fighting system should work in real life as much as it does in theory. If it isn't tested in at least in a semi-realistic enviroment then it's in danger of becoming irrelevant, and as much use to its practitioners as dancing.

Quote:
It is good fun though. Thumbs Up

That it most certainly is! Very Happy
____________________
A Guide To Powerbands
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thegubner
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:28 - 16 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but even though I can see your lad is hard as tent pegs I also have to say he has nothing on the fat kid in the bullying thread in found on the net.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:07 - 16 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes in boxing some stances you lean forward if you are a 'brawler' or a Mexican with defend the punches with your face style. However this style is very flat footed and generates power.

Most boxers have weight on the back foot so they can adjust and counter, or move out the way. Weaker shots but usually you can outbox guys who plod to you constantly giving you a target.

Hitting is less tiring than missing. Accuracy kills!

I suppose you need that JKD theory, use what is effective from all forms of fighting.

I would definitely say Kick boxing is a good sport or Muay Thai. It does well in MmA too. Tight guard and always in position to kick, and those kicks hurt. I think I would like to do it but everwhere is a bout 60 quid a month now! I have heard Muay Thai guys having extremely powerful kicks, and their legs conditioned to give out a lot of pain and they hardly feel anything.

Shame that funds won't allow your son to get to the bigger tourney's, but I guess life isn't always about having everything your way.
____________________
Hit the G spot. Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:46 - 16 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

theguvnor wrote:
Sorry but even though I can see your lad is hard as tent pegs I also have to say he has nothing on the fat kid in the bullying thread in found on the net.

Not so sure as he likes to wrestle too Very Happy
____________________
A Guide To Powerbands
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 204 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.16 Sec - Server Load: 0.92 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 139.26 Kb