|
|
| Author |
Message |
| andym |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 andym World Chat Champion

Joined: 16 Nov 2010 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 03:17 - 21 Mar 2011 Post subject: reserve tank? |
 |
|
This is going back a couple of weeks now, but figured I would ask the experts *cough*
I had to get a brake calliper for my car and found one in a scrap yard in Cindeford (Forest of Dean (that way)), I was a little short of time since I had to pick my other half up at 3pm that day and it was 11am when I found the number. Anyhoo I got the directions from google and it said it was 40 miles and would take 39 minutes, fair enough I think, hops on the bike thinking I won't need a bag or anything.
My intruder has a speedometer and 4 lights (L & R indicator, full beam, and neutral), so if I want to know how much petrol is in there I either have to give it a jiggle or look in the tank.
I shake the bike and it sounds like there is a couple of litres left, so I think that should do me till I get there and back, but just to make sure I'll get to the scrap yard and fill up at the first place I come to on my way home (my reasoning was if I was going to get lost it would be on the way out there so it would be quicker coming back).
I get to the scrap yard, the part is still on the car so I have to wait 20 minutes for them to take it off, only to find out that it wasn't the complete calliper ready to go on, it was just the part with the piston, so I would need to strip the other calliper down. I tried to open my seat compartment and the key just turns and the seat doesn't lift (found out the cable had snapped inside the cable protector), so I have this several pound lump of metal down my sleeve, about 1/2 - 3/4 miles away from the scrappy my bike does a splutter or two and dies.
Damn thinks me... oh well never mind... throw the tap to reserve and tried to start it... eff all.... I was on a slight hill which I thought I would be enough to bump start it, it wasn't having none of it... I tried shaking the bike and there wasn't the slightest hint of sloshing sounds.
Long story short... I spent the next 2 1/2 hours pushing this bloody lump of useless metal along country roads until I reached the petrol station.... which for some reason when I got to a slight downhill slope it would start dragging me along with it but if I tried sitting on it... it would stop dead.
I wasn't best impressed that day. Almost 5 miles (I think) with a 150kg bike that wouldn't roll down a slope, a calliper I would need to rebuild and a wife that was due to be picked up very soon.
On the plus side, when I got the petrol the bike started after about 5 seconds, I got home and stripped the old calliper and rebuilt/fitted the new one in about 25 minutes (including putting the wheel on twice).
Anyway... my original point here is, why the hell didn't I have a reserve tank? or can the petrol be used out of it automatically? |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MinhDinh |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MinhDinh World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Jan 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 04:13 - 21 Mar 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Usually the bike runs slow when low, and the reserve can be used.
I am not sure on your bike, but usually shaking it about helps. ____________________ Hit the G spot.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| johnsmith222 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 johnsmith222 World Chat Champion
Joined: 26 Dec 2008 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Frost |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Frost World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 May 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Paxovasa |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Paxovasa World Chat Champion

Joined: 25 Apr 2010 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 07:54 - 21 Mar 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
The fuel tap was in the reserve position.  ____________________ Suzuki GSF600 K3 (in the fastest colour, black). |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Shreddie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Shreddie Spanner Monkey

Joined: 20 Nov 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dazbo666 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dazbo666 World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 Jun 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 08:09 - 21 Mar 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
I've been caught out by leaving the tap in the reserve position too... although the fuel gauge on the Bandit seems to be pretty accurate TBH.
I've had the odd occasion when I've been commuting on fumes, usually right before pay day  ____________________ 1st bike (Sept'06 - May'10) : 1991 GPZ500S / Current bike (since Nov 2009) : 2003 Suzuki Bandit 600N
Word of the day : DILLIGAF |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| iCraig |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 iCraig World Chat Champion
Joined: 05 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| andym |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 andym World Chat Champion

Joined: 16 Nov 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pinkyfloyd |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pinkyfloyd Super Spammer

Joined: 20 Jul 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Easter Bunny |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Easter Bunny World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Aug 2010 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 10:47 - 21 Mar 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
I hate going outta my way to get fuel, so I ran out instead on the back country lanes (thought I could get home) after that I took to carrying a can with a couple of litres of fuel in one of my huge panniers, helped 3 bikers with it, but it did take up a lot of room so I have swopped it for a 1lt marine fuel bottle, ok so its only gonna get you at best 10 miles but it should be enough to get to a garage unless your in the wilds of Scotland in which case youre 10 miles closer
Many moons ago I do recall dispensing a litre of fuel via the fuel line on a bandit into a bottle of coke for a stranded biker  ____________________ The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| dragstaar |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 dragstaar World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Aug 2010 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 15 years, 195 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|