Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Student Loans Company Bastards

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Bubbs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:42 - 27 Mar 2011    Post subject: Student Loans Company Bastards Reply with quote

I'm currently earning minimum wage in Canada and student loans company sent me a letter to UK address stating that if I didn't complete an "overseas income assessment form" then they would charge me 150.00 quid.

So filled it in and sent it off, now they came back to me saying I owe them 41.00 quid every month until i return to the UK.

Can they do this? I thought they could only charge repayment when I get above a certain threshold which I know I'm not above.

Any advice on how to go about sorting this out would be greatly appreciated. What can I tell them on the phone to stop them doing this?

They are going to seriously fuck things up for me as I have no cash left in my bank, and if i go over my overdraft limit i get shafted by the bank, and to transfer money from Canadian Bank to British one costs me 30 quid per transaction.

HELP!

Rolling Eyes
____________________
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SoND
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:44 - 27 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell them you aren't earning above the threshold.
____________________
Go back to bed - You have no rights - "Streetfighters ~ Mainstream motorcycling's crackwhore sister."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bubbs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:53 - 27 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoND wrote:
Tell them you aren't earning above the threshold.


Yeah was going to do this anyway. But I have already given them evidence of my earnings. I have a feeling that being out of the country means they can shaft you.
____________________
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man



Joined: 21 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:07 - 27 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't surprise me, since the idea behind a student loan should be to enable you to better yourself, and then contribute in a positive way to the UK economy.

Which you aren't doing by being in Canada.

I'm not saying I buy the bullshit line, but I bet they have some sort of daft clause that allows them to approach from that angle.

What does the small print of the loan say? Do you have the paperwork for the original loan?
____________________
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bubbs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:27 - 27 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What does the small print of the loan say? Do you have the paperwork for the original loan?


I don't have any of the paperwork with me. I assumed that I wouldn't get charged as I would not breach the threshold.

I'm going to call them on Monday and hope they drop the charges.
____________________
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yuri2085
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:17 - 27 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you didn't have to pay when out of the country anyway or something like that?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:39 - 27 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can say you owe them anything they like, but it's no different to any other creditor demanding money (with the possible exception that bankruptcy might not discharge student loans).

Make sure they don't have a valid direct debit on your bank account, and tell them to do one - you'll pay it off as and when you feel like it. What are they going to do?

I've heard of less scrupulous students taking out a shedload of unsecured loans, paying off their student loan, then declaring bankruptcy and skipping the country for a few years while the restrictions lapse. I'm not recommending that you do that, but it is an option.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:37 - 27 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you calculating the threshold? Are you just taking the UK threshold and exchanging the currency?
How it works is that they have a different threshold per country based on the cost of living for that country. e.g In somewhere really poor like Malawi cost of living would be say £2000 per year, then you would be expected to repay your student load if you're earning over £2200.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

oldpink
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:22 - 27 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just glad my daughter is at Uni in Scotland, where education is still free
____________________
I have become comfortably numb

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Dr. Quack This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

pits
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:25 - 27 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Quack wrote:
SoND wrote:
Tell them you aren't earning above the threshold.

WTF R Yanks doing in this forum?
Just popped in to tell you get lost!

Providing more legible and literate contributions than you? Why not get lost yourself if you clearly have nothing valuable to add apart from being an illiterate gammon slipper? Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

oldpink
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:19 - 27 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Quack wrote:
SoND wrote:
Tell them you aren't earning above the threshold.

WTF R Yanks doing in this forum?
Just popped in to tell you get lost!


as the above poster says, your contribution to this site is worthless
why don't you get lost and find another forum to troll & spam
____________________
I have become comfortably numb

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:23 - 27 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldpink wrote:
I'm just glad my daughter is at Uni in Scotland, where education is still free


Almost worth moving to Scotland for.
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:26 - 27 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

uuuuuum......... No.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

oldpink
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:36 - 27 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaFrostyOne wrote:
uuuuuum......... No.


hey Scotlands not that bad a place to stay, I travel alot and live in London regularly
but I'd rather be in Scotland anyday, more laid back easy going and friendly
____________________
I have become comfortably numb

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:53 - 27 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loan has been well forgotten about, and will continue to be so until I am paying tax in the UK again.

Fuck em.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cornish
Forum Conscience



Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:24 - 27 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've had to deal with these fucktards myself. Don't bother with the phone they are useless on it. Letters go 'missing' or get answered by someone who is normally only allowed to use crayons.

Use email as you then have proof of date and proof of content.

Get in touch with The Financial Ombudsman as they deal with the Student Loans Company (quite a lot i think!)

Good Luck with it Thumbs Up
____________________
smile and be happy. . . .it gets right on everyone's tits!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

trevoriv
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:39 - 27 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Student Loans Company have taken £6,240 out of my salary in the last 12 months, which is about double what they should have =/
____________________
Past: '96 Thundercat, '02 ZX636R (A1P), '58 KTM 690 SM LC4 Current: '06 ZX636R (C6F)
Mudskipper wrote: Someone just has to sig that...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 191 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 1.45 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 98.65 Kb