Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


best way of removing 25kW restriction code

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Mord
Nearly there...



Joined: 11 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:39 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: best way of removing 25kW restriction code Reply with quote

I'm not up to date with the ways how to do it... so..

How to remove the =<25kW code from my licence without losing my entitlements? Laughing I'm truly scared of sending my driving licence to DVLA.

Should I just declare that the licence has been lost and ask for replacement, pay 20 quid? Will the 25kW code be removed automatically or will I need to ask them in a letter attached?

Or should I send my driving licence with the letter asking to remove the 25kW code? What are the odds that I will end up without the licence/entitlements?

Do I need to ask them to have the 25kW code removed at all, or is it just sorted automatically at renewal.

I need to have it sorted before I go abroad. That 25kW restriction will look dodgy if I'm stopped.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dragstaar
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:00 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed the DVLA about this and this was the reply i got

Quote:
Once the two-year qualifying period has elapsed, you may ride any size motorcycle.

It is not necessary to have the restriction 25kw, removed from your licence.



However, if you wish to have the restriction removed then please fill in a D1 application form, (available from the Post Office® or from the DVLA ordering service at www.direct.gov.uk/motoring), applying for an exchange licence and return it to the Agency with your licence. Please include a covering letter stating that you wish to have the two-year motorcycle restriction removed. A fee of £20.00 will be required.



DVLA are now only issuing photocard driving licences. If you do not have a photocard licence and you wish to have the motorcycle restriction code removed now, you will also need to provide one passport size colour photograph and the requested proof of identity.



I hope this helps with your enquiry.



Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our Reply Form or copy and paste the following URL in to your browser:



https://emaildvla.direct.gov.uk/emaildvla/cegemail/directgov/en/reply_form_drivers.html



When filling in the form the email reference number ######will be required.



Regards



C Smitham

Customer Enquiries Group

DVLA


As for losing entitlements, i did a change of address and i didn't lose it. but then again, i may have been lucky!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

blurredman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:02 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to renew this stupid little plastic things every 10 years.

It is just wasting money if you renew it after your restriction is up. You may aswel wait until you HAVE to renew it. That way you won't be loosing out.

Anyway, on the back it says that the code only applies for 2 years since the achieved date. So you've got nothing to fear if when the 2 years is us just jump on another bike. In another couple of years- THEN renew.

When you renew, always say your's is lost. You'll be sent a new one, but you still got your old one for backup if owt goes wrong.
____________________
CBT: 12/06/10, Theory: 22/09/10, Module 1: 09/11/10, Module 2: 19/01/11
Past: 1991 Honda CG125BR-J, 1992 (1980) Honda XL125S, 1996 Kawasaki GPZ500S, 1979 MZ TS150.
Current: 1973 MZ ES250/2 - 18k, 1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 10k, 1981 Honda CX500B - 91k, 1987 MZ ETZ250 - 40k, 1989 MZ ETZ251 - 52k.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dextersaurus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:02 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take half a dozen photocopies of your license before you send it away.

Then if you get it back with less entitlements, you can send it back with a photocopy, and a nicely worded letter.

If they do it again, a stronly worded letter with the photocopy.

If they do it again, take a dump in the letter and post it off.

Thumbs Up

Dunc
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:18 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to send it off. The restriction is removed automatically once you pass the date on the license. The police and others are aware of this.

Just leave it, sending off your license to the DVLA could cause you more problems than you have.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:41 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
You don't need to send it off. The restriction is removed automatically once you pass the date on the license. The police and others are aware of this.

Just leave it, sending off your license to the DVLA could cause you more problems than you have.


The only thing I have worried about is if you go abroad and they don't fully understand it.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

blurredman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:53 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
MarJay wrote:
You don't need to send it off. The restriction is removed automatically once you pass the date on the license. The police and others are aware of this.

Just leave it, sending off your license to the DVLA could cause you more problems than you have.


The only thing I have worried about is if you go abroad and they don't fully understand it.


I can understand when problems would arrise- and if they spoke english well you could explain what the back of the paper licence says.

Other than that, you could always just bluff it and say that <25 is what you learned on ^^ As far as i'm aware most other countries still allow 250cc with learners.. Rolling Eyes Mostly commonwealth's though.
____________________
CBT: 12/06/10, Theory: 22/09/10, Module 1: 09/11/10, Module 2: 19/01/11
Past: 1991 Honda CG125BR-J, 1992 (1980) Honda XL125S, 1996 Kawasaki GPZ500S, 1979 MZ TS150.
Current: 1973 MZ ES250/2 - 18k, 1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 10k, 1981 Honda CX500B - 91k, 1987 MZ ETZ250 - 40k, 1989 MZ ETZ251 - 52k.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:11 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Re: best way of removing 25kW restriction code Reply with quote

Mordoklej wrote:
Should I just declare that the licence has been lost and ask for replacement, pay 20 quid?


That. £20 to get a spare license is decent value. I've currently got 2 and will have a 3rd when I have to renew my photo next month. Thumbs Up
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:17 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Re: best way of removing 25kW restriction code Reply with quote

Mordoklej wrote:



Should I just declare that the licence has been lost and ask for replacement, pay 20 quid? Will the 25kW code be removed automatically or will I need to ask them in a letter attached?


I asked them to remove my restriction when I lost my licence, they wouldn't, they said I had to send it off again once I received the new one.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

blurredman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:19 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Re: best way of removing 25kW restriction code Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Mordoklej wrote:



Should I just declare that the licence has been lost and ask for replacement, pay 20 quid? Will the 25kW code be removed automatically or will I need to ask them in a letter attached?


I asked them to remove my restriction when I lost my licence, they wouldn't, they said I had to send it off again once I received the new one.


really? Duck that!
____________________
CBT: 12/06/10, Theory: 22/09/10, Module 1: 09/11/10, Module 2: 19/01/11
Past: 1991 Honda CG125BR-J, 1992 (1980) Honda XL125S, 1996 Kawasaki GPZ500S, 1979 MZ TS150.
Current: 1973 MZ ES250/2 - 18k, 1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 10k, 1981 Honda CX500B - 91k, 1987 MZ ETZ250 - 40k, 1989 MZ ETZ251 - 52k.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RichieZX6R
Nearly there...



Joined: 15 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:35 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sent mine off for a change of address (Free Thumbs Up ) and it came back with no restriction on, WIN!
____________________
Current: Kawazaki ZX6R 51
Past: Kawazaki ZX6R 96 - Honda CBR 600F4 05 - Dragstar 125 02 - Honda CB 400 SF 94 - Honda NSR 125 51 - Gilera Runner XV125 04
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:32 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichieZX6R wrote:
I just sent mine off for a change of address (Free Thumbs Up ) and it came back with no restriction on, WIN!


I did the same, It came back minus bikes Rolling Eyes

Strong letter and photocopies of pass certs sorts it... but what a faff!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RichieZX6R
Nearly there...



Joined: 15 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:37 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
I did the same, It came back minus bikes Rolling Eyes

Strong letter and photocopies of pass certs sorts it... but what a faff!


Your Joking, they really are hopeless!

I changed my cars address and apparently me at old address were the previous keeper and me at my new address are now the new keeper! Despite making 110% sure not to tick the new keeper box Thumbs Down Glad i dont intend getting rid of this car!
____________________
Current: Kawazaki ZX6R 51
Past: Kawazaki ZX6R 96 - Honda CBR 600F4 05 - Dragstar 125 02 - Honda CB 400 SF 94 - Honda NSR 125 51 - Gilera Runner XV125 04
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mord
Nearly there...



Joined: 11 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:48 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragstaar wrote:
I emailed the DVLA about this and this was the reply i got

Quote:

DVLA



Thanks mate. That's very helpful. Saves me time to send email to DVLA myself Smile

Blurredman wrote:
You have to renew this stupid little plastic things every 10 years.

It is just wasting money if you renew it after your restriction is up. You may aswel wait until you HAVE to renew it. That way you won't be loosing out.


My reneval date is March 2016. Long way to go.

Mr Dunkable wrote:
Take half a dozen photocopies of your license before you send it away.


I will make a copy (PDF file) before I send it to them. I can make any number of copies from that. Knowing my luck I may need them Wink

MarJay wrote:
You don't need to send it off. The restriction is removed automatically once you pass the date on the license. The police and others are aware of this.

Just leave it, sending off your license to the DVLA could cause you more problems than you have.


The police in England, Scotland know about 2 year restriction period and can do the maths, in Wales the police is not so good at maths, and they suffer a serious lack of knowledge as well. I'm worried about going abroad with the licence like it is now. That's the reason why I want to have the restriction code removed.

chris-red wrote:

The only thing I have worried about is if you go abroad and they don't fully understand it.


Exactly what I think. How petty French policeman would know anything about DVLA restriction periods? The licence says =<25kW. I heard that they are very eager to fine you or take the vehicle from you. I don't want to give them any reasons, because explaining to a Frenchman in English is pointless really.

chris-red wrote:

I asked them to remove my restriction when I lost my licence, they wouldn't, they said I had to send it off again once I received the new one.


So they sent you a new licence with =<25kW code after 2 year restriction period. That seriously worries me Laughing

RichieZX6R wrote:
I just sent mine off for a change of address (Free Thumbs Up ) and it came back with no restriction on, WIN!


Did you ask them to remove the restriction?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

RichieZX6R
Nearly there...



Joined: 15 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:01 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mordoklej wrote:


RichieZX6R wrote:
I just sent mine off for a change of address (Free Thumbs Up ) and it came back with no restriction on, WIN!


Did you ask them to remove the restriction?


Nope i was never fussed about it being there but had to change my address and it came back less the restriction Thumbs Up
____________________
Current: Kawazaki ZX6R 51
Past: Kawazaki ZX6R 96 - Honda CBR 600F4 05 - Dragstar 125 02 - Honda CB 400 SF 94 - Honda NSR 125 51 - Gilera Runner XV125 04
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 200 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 1.21 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 99.87 Kb