Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Laptop on a bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Feasty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:16 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Laptop on a bike Reply with quote

Pretty simple question, what's the best way to carry a laptop on a bike!?

I've got an XJ900 with top box and side panniers, but believe it or not none of the boxes are big enough to fit a laptop bag in to. I'm currently putting the laptop bag round my neck/shoulder but feel rather scared in case the strap breaks while I'm traveling slightly fast! The laptop will also get wet if it rains...
So options... either I buy a larger topbox (expensive) or maybe some sort of tank bag - but is this expensive too? And would it get in the way? Get wet?

Ideas please? Thumbs Up
____________________
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

arena
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 01 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:19 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

backpack with a section for laptops built in
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:20 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

arena wrote:
backpack with a section for laptops built in


This Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:25 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big is your laptop? Even my 17" 5kg beast of a laptop fit in my Topbox.

I put my Netbook in my boblbee pack.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dragstaar
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:30 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd get a slimmer laptop bag. I'm guessing you're using the huge chunky ones that are 3 times the size of the laptop itself.

If not, then I'd still say that a double helmet sized topbox will be a better option as it will protect your laptop to some extent in an accident
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Feasty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:32 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

My laptop is a Latitude D630, so not very big! But my topbox only fits 1 helmet and the topbox is curved around in the corners meaning a laptop has no chance let alone whe it's in a bag!

The concern I have with a backpack is if I come off and land on my back - it's gonna hurt. And it would have to be a very good bag to fully protect the laptop from downpours.
____________________
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dragstaar
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:34 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I'd defo keep an eye out for a double size top box on egay, and wrap the laptop in plastic bags when i put it in the bag whilst you wait on the box
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:38 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
I come off and land on my back - it's gonna hurt. And it would have to be a very good bag to fully protect the laptop from downpours.


the laptop might get damaged anyway in a topbox with it bouncing around etc but the hdd can handle a bit more knockage than a desktop hdd, and as for the pain..... the laptop will offer a bit more protection for your back from the road.

worried about the rain? put the laptop in a black bin bag.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

FBSF
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:04 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave the laptop in a locked drawer in work? Laughing

Failing that, a larger top box. I've put a 48L on the back of my CM, and it does a great job. Only cost £45 too. I've also bought a laptop-rucksack instead of the carry cases, which has a protective foam lining for the laptop, and cushions it in the topbox.

I always found the rucksack to restrict my riding (and it didn't do my back a great deal of good either). Bunging it all into the topbox and riding without the rucksack was a massive improvement.


Last edited by FBSF on 17:05 - 29 Mar 2011; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ayrton
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:04 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
Feasty wrote:
I come off and land on my back - it's gonna hurt. And it would have to be a very good bag to fully protect the laptop from downpours.


the laptop might get damaged anyway in a topbox with it bouncing around etc but the hdd can handle a bit more knockage than a desktop hdd, and as for the pain..... the laptop will offer a bit more protection for your back from the road.

worried about the rain? put the laptop in a black bin bag.


could always get a laptop sleve to put it in to stop it bumping around as much.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

John933
Crazy Courier



Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:09 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

As been said, back pack.
John933
____________________
My trip
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:14 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to just bungee my laptop bag to the backseat. The old Acer weighed a ton and I couldn't be arsed carrying that in a rucksack.

If it had fit in my topbox it would have gone in there, but Triumph make them a stupid shape and tbf my laptop bag is enormous.

Then I concluded 'fuck it', left it at the office and bought another one to use at home.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Seb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:59 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ferry at least 2 laptops a time in my r25 backpack and it's perfectly comfortable with no weight on my shoulders and very little actually on my back. Another solid option is a messenger bag like the timbuk2 mentioned in another thread here, that way the weight is on the pillion seat rather than you.
____________________
2010 Triumph 1050 Sprint ST
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:27 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like using backpacks on the bike too much if I can help it - so I attached a laptop backpack to the very bottom 'map' bit of a tank bag. Worked really well as the bag had straps in about the right place. When I found it was fine, didn't bother to attach it properly - just used the magnets so I could whip it off as needed.
I like having it between my arms so I knew the £1.5k of work laptop was still there - tail packs make me a bit nervous and I keep checking they haven't fallen off etc.
Crashed with it (only slow speed low side) and it did fine.

https://gees.zenfolio.com/img/s7/v8/p479961187-4.jpg
Side:
https://gees.zenfolio.com/img/s7/v8/p450520607-4.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:43 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry mine in my laptop rucksack.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Easter Bunny
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:48 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 45L Givi box and havent taken a laptop that wouldnt fit in it yet (I'm a courier) I would never take a laptop that wasnt in a laptop bag (havent had the occasion as yet) I always keep the odd extra layer on the bike which acts some protection, be aware that older boxes arent always totally waterproof in extreme weather.
____________________
The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Gerrard
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 15 Feb 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:48 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
I don't like using backpacks on the bike too much if I can help it - so I attached a laptop backpack to the very bottom 'map' bit of a tank bag. Worked really well as the bag had straps in about the right place. When I found it was fine, didn't bother to attach it properly - just used the magnets so I could whip it off as needed.
I like having it between my arms so I knew the £1.5k of work laptop was still there - tail packs make me a bit nervous and I keep checking they haven't fallen off etc.
Crashed with it (only slow speed low side) and it did fine.

https://gees.zenfolio.com/img/s7/v8/p479961187-4.jpg
Side:
https://gees.zenfolio.com/img/s7/v8/p450520607-4.jpg


Luv the bike, it reminds me of my old dispatch bike.. Thumbs Up

Aaahhh those were the days. Cool
____________________
Honda Blackbird the great all rounder.
Chillin near Malaga.
Marco Simoncelli 58
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:59 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
I used to just bungee my laptop bag to the backseat. The old Acer weighed a ton and I couldn't be arsed carrying that in a rucksack.


Same here, just bungeed it under my work clothes bag. Done thousands of miles in all weathers and still going strong. Only dwnside is that it's started to get the key tops imprinted in the screen but that's more to do with the heavy bag on top of it.
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:02 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a fan of backpacks myself....

My honda CLR125 Very Happy

https://i40.tinypic.com/2mg31fr.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Tot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:35 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use a backpack, so it doesn't bother me. As long as it's in a waterproof sleeve it'll be fine. My 14" sony fits nicely in the Kriega R20 and R30 with room for shopping too. Boblbee swallowed up the 14" laptop nicely.

I'm quite the contrary... I despise tankbags since it restricts my elbows too much and stretches out my arm (I've got no choice but to use the bagster tank system because I've got the tank cover attached to my bike). The tankbag itself was free.
____________________
The Tot 2019 Z1000SX - 2007 R1
Never argue with autism
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Glenben92
Nearly there...



Joined: 01 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:18 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just put it in the top box. Fuck the bag. My top box is 37 litre (i.e. 1 helmet and a little space for very tightly rolled up waterproofs) and I an EASILY fit a 17.5" laptop in it. Forget the bag, it's unnecessary bulk. Just wrap the corners of the laptop in an old jumper or something to stop it scraping against the hard plastic. Job Done.
____________________
57 Huoniao HN125-8 - Smile, 97 Kawasaki GPZ500S - Very Happy
99 Yamaha FZS 600 - Wink
Mod 2 Passed - 01/10/2010
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:30 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have a Baglux / Bagster lap top tank bag.

https://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/TempPicture/LapTopBag.jpg

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Glenben92
Nearly there...



Joined: 01 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:35 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

I have a Baglux / Bagster lap top tank bag.

https://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/TempPicture/LapTopBag.jpg

All the best

Keith


"and do you know how fast you were going?"

"no, officer, I can't see the speedo... but I CAN tell you that windows has encountered an error and wishes to send a report Laughing "
____________________
57 Huoniao HN125-8 - Smile, 97 Kawasaki GPZ500S - Very Happy
99 Yamaha FZS 600 - Wink
Mod 2 Passed - 01/10/2010
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:51 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Nah, totally wrong.

Windows wouldn't manage to do anything useful like send a report after a proper crash.

View of the clocks though.

https://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/TempPicture/LapTopBagOn.jpg

Space in it for a lap top.

https://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/TempPicture/LapTopBagOpen.jpg

Harder to see the clocks on this though:-

https://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/TempPicture/YsrLaden.jpg

I wasn't really thinking when I got a few more things than I intended at the supermarket.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Glenben92
Nearly there...



Joined: 01 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:52 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah the first pic was quite deceiving! I stand corrected, decent view of the clocks... I'd be riding rather gingerly on that YSR though!
____________________
57 Huoniao HN125-8 - Smile, 97 Kawasaki GPZ500S - Very Happy
99 Yamaha FZS 600 - Wink
Mod 2 Passed - 01/10/2010
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 193 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.64 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 130.95 Kb