Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Using shit tyres on track

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

T0MMY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:53 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Using shit tyres on track Reply with quote

I'm about to do my first trackday on my CB-1 but I'm debating whether to get a new rear tyre first. Basically I have a fairly worn out BT45 on the front which I think will be fine but the rear tyre is an everlasting "Golden VR" Malaysian ditchfinder tyre that seems to be made of plastic rather than rubber Laughing It's also totally the wrong size (130/90 instead of 150/60) so steep lean angles are quite exciting as you go off the edge of the tyre Shocked

Frankly I've enjoyed it on the road as it slides around quite a bit in the dry and a LOT in the wet so over the whole winter I've been getting the bike sideways on roundabouts etc and spinning it up coming out of corners Cool

So my question is, will it be entertaining on the track or will it slow me down so much it'll piss me off (and everyone behind me)?

I'd like to do this on the cheap as the only reason I'm getting into bike trackdays is because car trackdays are getting too expensive with fuel costs the way they are so really I'd rather not buy another tyre if possible.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:00 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have to ask........

There is a dude on another forum with some cheap diablos

Clicky
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

T0MMY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:07 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're too big for my bike...150/60 is already slightly oversized and 120 on the front would probably be awful.

I asked because I've never done a bike trackday before...I really don't know the answer Smile

If someone asked about shit tyres on the back of a car for a trackday I'd say, yes, it'll slow you down but it'll be a lot of fun. Not sure whether or not it'll be the same on the bike.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:10 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

On track you're going to ride much faster than on the road, and you want to do this with shitty tyres? Tyres are the only interface between your bike and the track.

Put something reasonable on it. I wouldn't bother with crappy tyres, you'll just have a shite day or bin it.
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:11 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

T0MMY wrote:
I asked because I've never done a bike trackday before...I really don't know the answer Smile


Only you can tell if you'd be bored or not. Karma

On a CB-1 you're not going to be setting any new lap records anyway, so if you'd find sliding about fun then go and slide about. Wouldn't be my cup of tea but each to their own.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:20 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Re: Using shit tyres on track Reply with quote

First trackday I did I was having fun in the Novice group - having fun going around people on Corams at Snetterton etc, keeping a decent pace up for a 250. Was pretty much on the limit of cornering there a few times (little slides etc).

Leant the bike to a racer-friend for the last session and he came back with 'nice bike, but the tyres are shagged!'

Providing you can brake as hard as possible (ie stoppy from speed) with warm tyres, I'd be happy - it'll just mean that you reach the limits earlier (which at least will mean if you crash it'll be slower Razz).
As ever, only get quicker a little bit at a time - don't go all out trying to beat the quickest person on track and you'll be fine.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

T0MMY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:23 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the point is that, as you say, I'm not trying to set lap records. For me the fun of a trackday (I'm talking car here obviously) is in driving on the limit, not trying to be faster than anyone. I've used many different cars with many different tyres over the years and I honestly don't think it's automatically more fun if the limits are higher because you have more grip, it just means you have to go slightly faster to reach them. Obviously something that understeers horrendously is never fun but a well balanced car with low grip is just as much fun as a well balanced car with high grip (you MX5ers should surely understand that!).

I think riding a bike with a shit front tyre would be rubbish but like I say, pushing this bike hard with a grippy front and a slidey rear is great. Why would I be more likely to crash? Either way the bike is going to be on the limit, the only thing that would make it more dangerous is if there is poor feel of where that limit is and this tyre is quite progressive.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:43 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be more likely to crash because on their first trackday most people probably don't get near the limits, while with a dodgy tyre you're more likely too.

I was glad I had previously crashed my ZX6 on a roundabout after pushing it harder and harder - in hindsight I could see the bike was giving me loads of tell-tale warning signs which I was ignoring, so I had a good idea of what to look out for.

Take it easy, get faster a little at a time and you'll be fine Thumbs Up.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete247
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 24 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:16 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone wiped me out on a trackday with worn out and squared off rubber it would piss me off, if they did it but had posted on a forum saying they new they were shit before the trackday then that would be unforgivable.

You can get some cracking deals on tyres, what sizes do you need?

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/110-70-17-150-60-17-Pirelli-Diablo-Motorcycle-Tyres-/290490036218?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item43a28e2ffa#ht_3614wt_905

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Metzeler-SPORTEC-M3-Tyres-SET-110-70-17-150-60-17-/270720418608?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3f0831c330#ht_1584wt_914

If your tyres are worn you'll not enjoy yourself anywhere near as much, you'll ride slower, be more likely to bin it and if they are that worn out then they'd need replacing after anyways so you may as well have some moulton rubber hero blobs on your new tyres rather than the set you are throwing away Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

T0MMY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:20 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fairness I'm well used to feeling the warning signs from this tyre as I regularly have the back sliding when pushing hard even on dry roads (in fact I did today when I popped out for my lunch). On track I expect I'll just push the lean angles until I feel the tyre starting to let go - makes no difference if the limit of grip is higher.

Of course the problem now is that after this thread I'll feel like such a prat if I have to come on here making a thread looking for parts to repair the bloody thing after binning it Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete247
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 24 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:24 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

and you'd also want to be hoping that if any other rider involved in you binning your bike and also having to find parts for their bike due to you making them bin it are not a member on here either. Your tyres may be fine but I imagine if you are making this post then really they are turds rolled into a ring and shoved on your rims.

If you can afford a trackday, then you can afford tyres!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:26 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete247 wrote:

If you can afford a trackday, then you can afford tyres!

But then you probably couldn't afford the trackday Confused.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

T0MMY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:34 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete247 wrote:
If someone wiped me out on a trackday with worn out and squared off rubber it would piss me off, if they did it but had posted on a forum saying they new they were shit before the trackday then that would be unforgivable.


Thing is the tyre is not worn out at all, it's the front that's worn but that has loads more grip. If it was worn I'd obviously replace it anyway.

I still can't agree that having a tyre with limited grip but good feel makes you more likely to crash. I'd be FAR more concerned about a super grippy tyre that suddenly let go without warning.

You don't just judge your corner speed from the speedometer regardless of what you feel from the tyres so why would I ride beyond the limits of this tyre more than a grippier tyre? I'd just be limited to going a little slower. It won't even affect my braking because again, even with the single disc on this bike the back tyre is skipping along the road under hard braking.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete247
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 24 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:00 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah well, up to you, is your call, just seems like you made ya mind up not to change them before you even posted the thread which makes it all rather pointless.

Hope you have a cracking trackday mate but seriously hope for your safety you don't bin it and for your conscience that you don't take anyone else out.


btw, when you doing your trackday and what track, will make sure I'm not booked in to it lol Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

T0MMY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:34 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm willing to change my mind, just looking for a good reason to. I still maintain that feedback is more important than grip in deciding how likely you are to crash when pushing to the limits.

It's quite likely I will change the tyre anyway because I'd rather have a better one for the road as it's very limiting in the wet, a bit like riding on ice.

Track...possibly Snetterton on the 4th if I can get one or two things sorted out on the bike by then (and before it's sold out, if it hasn;t already), failing that the next one at Snetterton or Bedford probably. The bike needs better pads on the rear brake as the front one doesn't work anymore so I'll be relying on the back one quite heavily on the day.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete247
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 24 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:45 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMAO, you gotta be trolling
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

T0MMY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:52 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only that last bit Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

garth
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:23 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those cheap diablos are from a desmodue bike I'd say, I've got them on mine but they've now changed to Rosso's.

I wouldn't do a TD on a tingtong rear tyre, I had one on the goose and it would spin up off the throttle, with 30bhp that's alarming.

If I were you and money was an issue for tyres, I'd get some of those Maxxis Sportmaxxzzxxzxxzyyzz123 or whatever they are. Supposed to be pretty good in the dry, and cheap.
____________________
You ain't a has been if you never was
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

skyline
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 20 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:07 - 31 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally Id just get some second hand scrubs off ebay for £40 or so, as the chances are when you've done your track day you aint going to have much tyre left if its already worn so your going to have to replace it after the track day anyway. May as well do it before hand and make your trackday bit more fun Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

T0MMY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:50 - 31 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not such a common size for racers unfortunately, they get used on RS125s so there's a few about but I've not seen any bargains.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Joeb46
Traffic Copper



Joined: 04 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:55 - 02 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180645840715&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

your welcome
____________________
Current- Drz400sm- For sale
Kawasaki er-5 race bike# 106
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:25 - 03 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get new tyres and enjoy yourself more.

Don't worry about any wear on them as the bits you will be wearing are the bits that won't be getting much (or any) use on the road.

Basically the middle third of the tyre gets virtually no wear on the track, whereas it gets virtually all the wear on the road.

So basically you will simply get to use all the tyre in its life ...

Also you can ride around on the road after the track day with 'blobbed' edges to your tyre ... and you can look like a road riding god for the rest of the tyres road life!! Cool
____________________
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

T0MMY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:55 - 03 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joeb46 wrote:
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180645840715&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

your welcome


Thanks buddy, I chucked you a "helpful" rating although I was already watching them on Ebay Thumbs Up Lost out on them unfortunately but I think I helped bump the price up for you Laughing

There's a few other possibilities on there so I'll keep looking. Frankly, even with good tyres I think the softness of the suspension and the lack of ground clearance will be holding me back too Brick Wall Probably should have kept my CBR600 rather than randomly deciding to start doing trackdays on my winter hack Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Joeb46
Traffic Copper



Joined: 04 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:01 - 04 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much sir
____________________
Current- Drz400sm- For sale
Kawasaki er-5 race bike# 106
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Damon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:31 - 04 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a pair from adam on here

https://www.tjtuning.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=15219

Karma please Mr. Green
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 182 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.96 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 125.89 Kb