Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Becoming a motor trader

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Chalky.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:33 - 04 Apr 2011    Post subject: Becoming a motor trader Reply with quote

Been trawling through google but can't find anything of particular use.

I want to set up as an official motor trader.

I don't really want to be VAT registered, but if I have to I will. I'm not sure I will exceed the turnover limit, probably be close though.

Anyone know what I need to do?

Cheers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man



Joined: 21 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:40 - 04 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rid yourself of all conscience and sense of morality.

Good to go.
____________________
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Steve H
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Oct 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:03 - 04 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to register with anyone to set up as a car trader (nor indeed the majority of other businesses)...

You could try the RMI for a bit of advice but I would suggest that your local Trading Standards Department would be best informed to advise you on your legal obligations.

A quick (and by no means an all encompassing) precis...

The primary piece of criminal law that was pertinent to the car industry used to be the Trade Descriptions Act however that’s been repealed and replaced with the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations

If you’re a trader you have certain obligations to your customers that you don’t have if you’re selling as a private individual... A Trader’s Guide

Then there's your obligations under the Companies Act to have specific details on paperwork and at your place of business. Possible credit licence applications. Pricing legislation requirements, the list goes on...

Goose's advice is pretty much spot on though.
____________________
Mellow Yellow
The BCF Top TEN - 2010, 2009, 2008, The Original.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:39 - 04 Apr 2011    Post subject: Re: Becoming a motor trader Reply with quote

Chalky. wrote:
Been trawling through google but can't find anything of particular use.

I want to set up as an official motor trader.

I don't really want to be VAT registered, but if I have to I will. I'm not sure I will exceed the turnover limit, probably be close though.

Anyone know what I need to do?

Cheers


I'm guessing you're after selling a few cars from home, rather than opening a dedicated site?

All you really need to do is get some business cards printed and you're off, there's no actual procedure for becoming a trader; of course, if you're doing everything legit, then you need to declare your earnings, do some accounts and keep an eye on your turnover, as it's pretty easy to have £70K's worth of cars slip through your fingers (25 cars at £3K and you're over the top).

Frankly, I would avoid getting involved with VAT if you can, all you'll be doing is paying out, because you'll have very little you can claim to offset the profits, plus you've got the added hassle of doing the return and making sure you've got the money, otherwise you'll be into late penalties.

To avoid all the unfair trading nonsense, I would steer clear of the general public (who are mostly aggravating tossers) and trade to the trade; buy from papers, the net and auctions, then sell them via auctions again, or into dealers, who won't be constantly on your case because you've sold them a pup.

This involves short profits and fast turnover, but it's a lot less aggro than retailing.

What you do need is contacts and lots of them; leg it round your local dealers (although these days, most big main dealers have a policy with trading, that usually involves sending everything to auction) and try and get in with the sales staff, especially the guy who is responsible for disposals, then be prepared to take a few very small profits, just to get a foot in the door.

The trick to trading is knowing what you're going to do with the car, before you buy it, even better, have it sold before you buy it.

It's a tough world now, but there is money to be made.
____________________
Things get better with age; I'm close to being magnificent........
20 RE Interceptor, 83 Z1100A3, 83 GS650 Katana
WooHoo, I'm a Man Point Millionaire! https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234035
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:24 - 04 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHR15 wrote:
i'll do your servicing Wink


Servicing, what's that?

Sounds like it might involve spending money, the last thing you want to do as a trader Wink
____________________
Things get better with age; I'm close to being magnificent........
20 RE Interceptor, 83 Z1100A3, 83 GS650 Katana
WooHoo, I'm a Man Point Millionaire! https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234035
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Chalky.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:11 - 06 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info, cheers.

As I'm starting to sell higher end car it will become purtinant to become a trader, for ease of selling and the premium.

Anyway, doesn't matter.


Distinction Automotive?

Good name?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:25 - 06 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fucking awful name.

I've never seen a successful high-end car selling company or dealership with any name other than a posh sounding surname.

Distinction Automotive gives me a mental image of an asian rudeboy trying to sell me an underpowered hatchback with a bodykit and huge wheels for 5 times its worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:33 - 06 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chalky. wrote:
Good info, cheers.

As I'm starting to sell higher end car it will become purtinant to become a trader, for ease of selling and the premium.

Anyway, doesn't matter.


Distinction Automotive?

Good name?


Gotta be honest, don't like that name at all.

Look through some high end magazines and look at the names; unless it's a long established garage, it's nearly all the proprietor's name or something evocative or olde worlde, like 'Old Hall Garage' or similar.

Using your own name is often preferable (if you've got a naff name, change it) because it conveys a promise of personal service, whereas buzz speak type names make you seem at arms length.

Also, get yourself a gimmick, there's lots of traders out there, you need to stand out and be memorable; for example, I discovered I had a really forgettable name, so I remembered a story I'd been told about a salesman who always wore a buttonhole and took to wearing outrageously loud ties. Customers didn't always remember my name, but they always remembered 'that bloke with the tie'.
____________________
Things get better with age; I'm close to being magnificent........
20 RE Interceptor, 83 Z1100A3, 83 GS650 Katana
WooHoo, I'm a Man Point Millionaire! https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234035
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:36 - 06 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pertinent not purtinant by the way.
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Chalky.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:37 - 06 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chalklin Prestige!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Steve H
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Oct 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:38 - 06 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://img.thisismoney.co.uk/i/pix/2007/10/ArthurDaley_203x220.jpg
Arthur Daley Shaft Thumbs Up
____________________
Mellow Yellow
The BCF Top TEN - 2010, 2009, 2008, The Original.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:44 - 06 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve H wrote:
https://img.thisismoney.co.uk/i/pix/2007/10/ArthurDaley_203x220.jpg
Arthur Daley Shaft Thumbs Up


Never had the hat, but I have been trading for nearly 35 years, so I'm doing something right Laughing
____________________
Things get better with age; I'm close to being magnificent........
20 RE Interceptor, 83 Z1100A3, 83 GS650 Katana
WooHoo, I'm a Man Point Millionaire! https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234035
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TimNorwich
Traffic Copper



Joined: 07 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:57 - 07 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Tibbs?
____________________
Speedshite 50cc > Honda XR125L > Kawasaki GPZ 500 S > 02 Honda Hornet > 05 Honda CG125 winter hack > 04 Kawasaki ER-5 > 99 Honda Hornet 600 > Kawasaki GPZ 500 S > 99 Honda Hornet 600 > 05 Honda CBR600F > 01 Honda Hornet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

WishayKillie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:00 - 07 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swiss Tony?

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/__QLeSdiYXhw/SjigfaJVGgI/AAAAAAAAC_8/icw5cPv6g5o/s320/swiss.jpg
____________________
Current; 10' Aprilia Dorsoduro 750.
Previous; 05 Triumph Daytona 600, 08' Ducati 1098s.
"Needs a check-up, fae the neck up!"


Last edited by WishayKillie on 09:28 - 07 Apr 2011; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:26 - 07 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chalky. wrote:
Chalklin Prestige!


Anything that has prestige in the title means that the cars they're selling aren't.
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Chalky.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:37 - 07 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big_Ham wrote:
Chalky. wrote:
Chalklin Prestige!


Anything that has prestige in the title means that the cars they're selling aren't.


Really?

https://www.suprestige.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:08 - 07 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chalky. wrote:


In my experience, yes.

Let the stuff you're selling do the talking.

Putting prestige in the name does not a prestige seller make.

EDIT-

In your link I'd hardly describe a diesel A3 is prestige. Wink

Check this "prestige" company out, a Saxo and a Honda Shuttle, mmm niceee

https://users.autoexposure.co.uk/prestigemotors/search.cfm

Another

https://www.prestigemotorsmanchester.co.uk/12543/showroom.htm

https://www.mrks-prestigemotors.com
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dogbot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:13 - 07 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.wheelerdealer.com/wp-content/themes/WD2010/images/mask-hp.png

Shocked
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Chalky.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:48 - 07 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving Force?

Confused

This is harder than dealing the bloody things Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:35 - 07 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you serious?

Have you read the reponses? Or are you just ignoring them?

What sort of cars are you selling - what do you have for sale now?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mad4it028
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:44 - 07 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the name is of little importance ,what is important is custormer service leading to repeat custom and then to a good reputation
i call my self
evolution bikes
but only because i saw a pic i liked and decided that pic will be my letter head etc..lol
____________________
always looking to buy bikes crashed ,unfinished projects,none runners pm me
currently riding kawasaki z1000 only bike ive ever loved
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 185 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.64 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 115.13 Kb