Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


What is required for driving in the following countries?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:30 - 11 Apr 2011    Post subject: What is required for driving in the following countries? Reply with quote

France (Monaco)
Luxembourg
Italy
Spain
Germany
Belgium


I know about the Swiss Motorway Tax of 40CHF and that in France I will need a florescent vest.

Are there any other little annoyances? Basically anything stopping my T&T and Insured UK Bike driving through those countries or any reason to stop me at the borders.

Cheers,

Chris
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mjn51
Traffic Copper



Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:03 - 11 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

the aa site has the answers

https://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/countrybycountry.html?mySelect=%2Fmotoring_advice%2Ftouring_tips%2Fbelgium.pdf&go.x=48&go.y=10
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

willis1337
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 06 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:08 - 11 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in Germany I got stuck behind a lorry going up a busy narrow road in a residential area, so thought sod it, I'll stop for a bit of a rest / drink and let it go. I pulled up just before a parked, dark blue estate car, the owner was getting some gear out the back. Couldn't believe when the chap strolled over and showed me his police ID and started going over the bike Rolling Eyes He was in the process of setting up a speed camera tripod FFS

Anyway, after a lot of broken english and umming and arring, the only issue was my lack of a GB sticker - which he let me off. However now whenever I go abroad on a bike I always have a small GB sticker stuck on the back somewhere (or change the number plate for the MOT one before I go - it has a GB strip on it).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

willis1337
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 06 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:49 - 11 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjn51 wrote:


Hmmmm the advice under Speed Limits (in the Germany one - havn't checked the others) is, "In bad weather conditions, when visibility is below 50mm, the maximum speed limit is 50km/h.".

WTF! 50mm lol (ie 5cm or 2 inches) - if visibility was that bad I would not be doing anything near 50km/h! (I think that should be 50m).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Marmalade
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:14 - 11 Apr 2011    Post subject: Re: What is required for driving in the following countries? Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
France (Monaco)
Luxembourg
Italy
Spain
Germany
Belgium

I know about the Swiss Motorway Tax of 40CHF and that in France I will need a florescent vest.

Are there any other little annoyances? Basically anything stopping my T&T and Insured UK Bike driving through those countries or any reason to stop me at the borders.


Get a GB badge if your plate doesn't have the GB thingy on it.
You don't need to have hi vis or bulbs etc on a bike but if you can carry them it is best advised.

Make sure you carry docs with you, Log book or proof of permission to drive from the owner, Insurance and MOT.
Check that your insurance covers you for Italy, it might be an exception.

If you wear glasses or contacts you will need to carry a spare pair with you if riding/driving in Spain
____________________
Nobby the Bastard: How yo tell the difference between the actual japanese and her just screaming because she's had live fish stuck up her arse? [url=https://www.nicks-shop.co.uk/bcf-goodies-15-c.aspGet BCF stickers and things here[/url] Reflective helmet stickers - Legal requirement in france - Clicky
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

willis1337
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 06 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:58 - 11 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup ORIGINAL docs must be on hand (V5 / ins cert / driving licence (both bits). If you're travelling with a mate swap copies of all docs so if you lose the originals you have a back up set (or scan them in and store them in google docs / email so you can retrieve them from any internet connection while away).

(May also be useful to have a spare set of keys - inc lock keys)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:08 - 11 Apr 2011    Post subject: Re: What is required for driving in the following countries? Reply with quote

Marmalade wrote:

Check that your insurance covers you for Italy, it might be an exception.


Insurance must cover you for min legal cover throughout Europe.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:59 - 11 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Reflective jackets (EN471) - one reflective jacket in the vehicle. This does
not apply to drivers of two-wheeled and three-wheeled vehicles.


You aren't obliged to carry or wear high-viz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter



Joined: 01 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:19 - 12 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rules are different for each country, some do require you to have a hi vis on a motorcycle, given the space it takes up you should have one. You are also required to carry spare bulbs and a first aid kit in several countries, the only thing you don't need in any country is a warning triangle because, quite obviously, it's impractical on a bike.

You should have a GB sticker or plate, every vehicle in Europe has a sticker on when it's not in it's home country, the only vehicles I regularly see that don't do this are the Danish (i'm fairly sure it's them due to the style and format of plate).

As for insurance, Italy will never be an exception, like Keith said, all insurance policies are required by EU law to cover you in every EU country and those with formal agreements such as Switzerland, Lichtenstein and Norway etc. You'll be covered until you reach countries like Serbia and Albania, not something you need to worry about.

One last thing i'd recommend is if you are doing mountain passes in Austria, always carry cash, there are quite a few toll booths and they often don't take cards, with no cash you face a very long return journey and alternate route around.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c-m
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:56 - 12 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't really need all that much.

I've been to most countries in Europe and have never had a GB sticker (and i don't have one of the new EU style plates either). It's just never been a problem.

I've even been on tours without taking my license (i lost it 3 days before). No problem.

I would advise that you take bulbs and a hi-vis jacket, more for yourself as oppose to the law.

You certainly don't need to carry your V5 or insurance. I had a license taken off me by Romanian police (overtaking on yellow lines) and they never even hinted that they might want to see these documents.

I also entered Croatia (non EU country) without showing anything other than my passport.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

willis1337
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 06 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:07 - 12 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, you could blag it for ages and it'd never be a problem, right up to the point when you get stopped by some jobsworth anti tourist copper (or have an accident), then it'll ruin your holiday and or wallet. Personally I wouldn't chance it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nufkamp
Traffic Copper



Joined: 15 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:46 - 12 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of info on the AA website.
____________________
As seen on Google Street View https://tinyurl.com/yfdvojc
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter



Joined: 01 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:49 - 13 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

willis1337 wrote:
True, you could blag it for ages and it'd never be a problem, right up to the point when you get stopped by some jobsworth anti tourist copper (or have an accident), then it'll ruin your holiday and or wallet. Personally I wouldn't chance it.


Agreed, how much extra room does it take to have the documents that you are technically legaly obliged to carry or stick a GB sticker on. Virtually none, why risk not having it if it could mean trouble with the police, fines or being denied access to a country.

I have also only ever had to show a passport when entering Croatia but that doesn't mean it'll be the case for everyone every time. Switzerland have a reputation for being quite aggressive on vehicle checks when entering the country, lots of people have had their bikes and cars looked over and requests for documentation. Personally I've never had such issues other than one border guy walking around my bike and giving it a good eyeing over, also most Swiss cars are heaps so it's a little hypocritical when people are saying they've been hassled over vehicle defects but it's beside the point, it happens, prepare or you have no right to complain if issues arise.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

621andy
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 07 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:37 - 13 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only speak from car experience, but in all these countries it pays to have the right bits of paper...

I've been stopped in several of the countries listed, and they've ALL wanted to see passport,licence, and car papers.

France is a nightmare now, with police checks everywhere. I even got stopped by the CRS once Shocked Speed traps are also absolutely everywhere....be warned, they are getting very clever at hiding them!

Switzerland can also be erm, difficult, but depends on the guy on the gate. I've been waved through with barely a glance, and had to show everything on others.

Germany is the same...you get stopped and they'll want to see everything.

Basically, take originals of everything, and photocopies of 'em all in a separate place, just in case.
____________________
'93 Africa Twin RD07, C-90,MTX-125,H-100,XL-125, a 125UAG(CG copy!)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dilyan
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:24 - 13 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the V5 enough for bike papers? I don't have a receipt due to private sale.

Basically - passport, license (incl. counterpart), insurance, V5, MOT. Anything else?
____________________
Current: 2007 VFR800; Ex: 2001 YZF600R Thundercat
Škoda Octavia (yes, a taxi driver)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

621andy
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 07 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:16 - 13 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds about right...
____________________
'93 Africa Twin RD07, C-90,MTX-125,H-100,XL-125, a 125UAG(CG copy!)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kenjh
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 18 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:46 - 18 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ..wondering about bringing my bike to see england and around..how hard are the rules on Canadians wandering around over there?? this will be my first time over and don't believe the horror story's but the I tend to enjoy my confusion...
____________________
If I don't know I ask..an' there is a lot I don't know. I am and old biker , not a bold rider there are no old bold riders ...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Marmalade
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:25 - 18 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenjh wrote:
Hi ..wondering about bringing my bike to see england and around..how hard are the rules on Canadians wandering around over there?? this will be my first time over and don't believe the horror story's but the I tend to enjoy my confusion...


The UK is probably one of the better places as long as you bring an armed bodyguard to look after it if you intend leaving it parked in a city like liverpool, london or birmingham for longer than 30 seconds.
____________________
Nobby the Bastard: How yo tell the difference between the actual japanese and her just screaming because she's had live fish stuck up her arse? [url=https://www.nicks-shop.co.uk/bcf-goodies-15-c.aspGet BCF stickers and things here[/url] Reflective helmet stickers - Legal requirement in france - Clicky
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kenjh
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 18 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:55 - 18 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of draging my 1954 Harley Pan with the commercial side car..it's a bit hard to steal..I havn't had a lock on any of my bikes in 15 years...here in Victoria ,,we don't bother wasting time calling for help with thieves......I will leave it to your imagination..my biggest worry is learning your back roads...I don't do city's..and enjoy uuhh...slower backroads..you still have empty roads don't you? and how are the cop's there ?? same tax collectors we have? what about helmets?? I have a 20 year old beenie or a 19 doller (about 9pound or euro)M/C helmet...I see you helmets are 2 or 3 hundres$ damm expensive.and gas..(petrol??) we are at 1.29 a liter..,,what is yours at??I'm a little old for hostels ..so I have a lot to learn..what is your biggest worry?
____________________
If I don't know I ask..an' there is a lot I don't know. I am and old biker , not a bold rider there are no old bold riders ...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:31 - 18 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Bike theft is a big problem in the UK. And being a non UK registered bike it would probably be more thief appealing as it would be harder to trace and easier to reregister.

Think for a while you would be OK on Canadian plates. Not sure what the time limit is but have a feeling it is a year. Over that you would need to register it here and having a side car would probably make that difficult as the UK rules do not allow r/h side cars. Old ones are OK and yours is old enough (easily) but it might be a load of hassle to go through.

Plenty of back lanes, but it depends on the area. Wales and Scotland are pretty empty, as are some areas of England. But the south east of England is very busy.

Helmets are compulsory on a bike and must comply with various rules. Cheap ones can be had for not that much but the beany type wouldn't be legal. Not sure on the situation if you are riding a non UK bike on a non UK license though.

Petrol here is currently between £1.30 and £1.40 a litre (and sometimes more in quiet areas). So that is Can$2.04 to Can$2.20 a litre.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kenjh
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 18 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:16 - 18 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about drivers tests?? do I need a different test there?? and can I work out my frustrations on the thief or do they have the law to protect them like we do here??..what does it cost to take the ferry to the Ireland??
____________________
If I don't know I ask..an' there is a lot I don't know. I am and old biker , not a bold rider there are no old bold riders ...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:30 - 18 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Depends how long you are here. Short while I think your US license is fine. Think the limit is a year, but could be wrong.

You can't kill the theives. Or beat them up. Can't even set a trap for them.

There are a few different routes to Ireland and the prices vary greatly. Holyhead in Wales to Dublin (Dun Laoghaire really, just south of Dublin) is probably the fastest and maybe cheapest. Can also go from Scotland across to Northern Ireland (Stranrear to Larne), Liverpool to Belfast and from South Wales across to southern Ireland . I have used the first 3 but not the last.

Not southern Ireland is a different country and will possibly have different rules for licenses / bikes / etc.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter



Joined: 01 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:55 - 18 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've once seen a LHD 4x4 driving around in London on Ontario plates so presumably it's possible, it didn't look like a UK reg on mock plates but is impossible to tell really.

Have you looked at the cost of shipping your bike over? It will be very expensive, at least a couple of thousand dollars I expect, even if you only hire a small space in a loaded container. UK country roads are extremely narrow and twisty compared to any Canadian roads i've driven in British Colombia, and I went looking for them, although I haven't been to Victoria I imagine it is just the same. Therefore, driving a bike with a right hand sidecar, if it's even legal would be interesting for you, you may be fine or you may hate it, overtaking is needed more here because the roads are a hell of a lot busier no matter where you are.

Personally i'd think you're better off buying a bike and a helmet over here. I'm fairly sure you wouldn't have much trouble registering a bike to any old address you can use, insurance companies ought to insure you with a Canadian motorcycle licence for a year and as long as you buy a bike with plenty of tax then it's no hassle. Sell it when you're done and cancel the insurance, you could even insure monthly. A half decent helmet will only cost you £40. Bike rental here is incredibly expensive and not worth it.

(edit) shipping costs would be a lot more because you're in Victoria so on the wrong coast, will be big money to have it go the long way round or sent by truck to the East, you could ride it I suppose.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kenjh
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 18 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:29 - 19 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

well on that note..anyone got a bike for hire?? I have ridden since..1964 .. Honda Norton & Harley'..why buy if I can put some cash in your pocket??I can't see buying a bike for a couple of grand for a couple of weeks and then sell it..as I am a bit of a lard ass (250 lb) I need a 500cc or better..the swiss have toll roads does england?? I cant believe the weird stuff on the tube,,you guy's really have congestion tolls for driving in town?? gawwd,, 64,, I'm getting to be an old fart...
____________________
If I don't know I ask..an' there is a lot I don't know. I am and old biker , not a bold rider there are no old bold riders ...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:12 - 19 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

There is one short section of toll motorway (~40km) near Birmingham. Not that heavily used so probably won't be any more. Expensive to use though. There are a couple of toll tunnels / bridges.

The centre of London does have the "congestion charge". Easy solution is to just avoid the dump Wink .

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 173 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.16 Sec - Server Load: 0.4 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 138.66 Kb