Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


How many bike accidents have you had?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

lewis87
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 24 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:36 - 13 May 2011    Post subject: How many bike accidents have you had? Reply with quote

How long have you been riding and how many bike accidents have you had?

I'm 23 and have been riding 4 years and have had 3 accidents. 1st accident was a 70mph highside on a track day in the rain, 2nd a 20mph lowside on gravel and my 3rd I locked the front up doing an emergency stop and broke my hand.

My dad seems to think I'm far too accident prone and should give the bikes up and my girlfriend said she would leave me if I crash again Laughing But I won't give them up. It did make me think, is that quite a lot of crashes in 4 years? How many have you had?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:45 - 13 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been riding for 11 years, and have had three crashes. First was when I was 22, I crashed my SV650 in the wet on the motorway because I was following a bit too close to the van infront. Luckily I just had bruises and the bike was pretty much OK.

Second was on my FireBlade, which I wrecked the day after I bought it. I was on cold tyres and I turned hard into a roundabout. The back end gave way and I caught it, but then it went again and I lost it. I scraped my leg a bit as I was wearing Jeans, and the bike had bad cosmetic damage.

The third was at Snetterton on my Speed Four a straight. Still not exactly sure what happened, but I think the throttle stuck open...

All of these accidents were entirely my fault and could have been prevented. It is important that I admit that really.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paulington
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:50 - 13 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've 18, have been riding nearly 3 years and have had two accidents.

First one nearly took my life, non-fault and is documented here: https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=185399

The second one was at around 45mph, some woman in a Clio I believe changed lanes into the side of us without indicating at all, pushing the bike with me and my partner on into the pavement in the middle of the dual carriageway which sent the bike down and us rolling down the road somehow without getting ran over by a car, either of us.

Truth be told it could have been worse.
____________________
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."
Current Vehicles: '89 Kawasaki KDX200, '99 Yamaha XV535, '00 Honda ST1100 Pan-European, '08 Suzuki GSX-R1000, '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GS4 2.0 TDCi, '15 BMW 1 Series 116d Sport Turbo.
CBT: 27/08/08. Theory: 04/09/09. Module 1: 16/09/09. Module 2: 01/10/09.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellbound
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jan 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:50 - 13 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

two

too fast down a country lane on my old c90 (too fast for the bend at least) started to slide on gravel so straighten up thinking I could use the grassy bank to slow down

grassy bank was actually a ditch with really tall grass in it, so into ditch I go and over the handlebars in a spectacular fasion.


and someone pulled out on me on the same bike, bike hit his front wing, I hit his door.

Bruised bum from landing and grazes on elbows from padding in jacket.
____________________
May you always see the road rising up to meet you and your enemies defeated in the mirror behind.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:51 - 13 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my bike licence 9 years. Zero accidents.
Had my car licence 22 years - one accident (not my fault).

I don't drive Miss Daisy either.

Perhaps you need to heed the warnings before the next one...?
____________________
Yamaha XJ600 | Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat | KTM 990 SMT | BMW F900XR TE
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lewis87
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 24 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:52 - 13 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
All of these accidents were entirely my fault and could have been prevented. It is important that I admit that really.


Yeah I admit all my accidents are my fault and all because I was going too fast for the conditions. I ride all year round and all my crashes were in summer Confused I guess that shows I ride carefully in winter and carelessly in summer.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dogbot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:55 - 13 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been riding since I was a kid (nearly 30 years), and I did most of my formative riding on mud, so more than I can count. It was sort of par for the course then. Or perhaps I wasn't very good in mud... Confused Laughing

Two in the last 4 years, though, both low speed slips. No serious damage, luckily. Before that, a long time ago (10 years + ), but I fractured a leg (shin) bone and my wrist.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:04 - 13 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

23, riding 2 years, 1 accident.


Coming up to a roundabout at about 25/30, slowed down a bit before the crash but not by much, hit a sheet of ice mid turn, both tyres went from under me and the bike slid down the road. Was so slippery I couldn't get traction to pick the bike up and several cars slid straight through and into the grass.

I broke a rib when I landed because my arm was shoved into my side.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jim Mc
Nearly there...



Joined: 28 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:10 - 13 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

28, riding for 19 months, 0 accidents so far, a few hair raising moments in the first year running onto wrong side of road on tight corners and thankfully nothing coming the other way. Nothing recently.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ryhardcastle
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 20 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:16 - 13 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

22 riding 2 years. Dropped the bike once on ice and got a bit carried away during a stoppie and flipped the bike. No collisions with anything yet touch wood.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RichieZX6R
Nearly there...



Joined: 15 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:22 - 13 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

24, 3 accidents, riding 8 years.

First was on a scooter at 20mph turning into an industrial estate and caught a patch of black ice. Just gravel rash and a bruised ego.

Second was not long after i bought the CBR and i wasn't really used to it. Went over a man hole cover in the wet at around 25mph. Had all my gear on so i didnt get no injuries.

third was the first when a lorry had spilt loose gravel in front of me on a slip road exiting a NSL dual carriageway. Had a few stictches that time as my jacket rolled up and a tore my side (didnt have leather trousers on).
____________________
Current: Kawazaki ZX6R 51
Past: Kawazaki ZX6R 96 - Honda CBR 600F4 05 - Dragstar 125 02 - Honda CB 400 SF 94 - Honda NSR 125 51 - Gilera Runner XV125 04
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

olionel
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:23 - 13 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

been riding 4 1/2 years...

first ever off.. on 125 training.. massive handfull of the front brake at a red light panic stop (shouldve carried on)..off I go...

second off... woman jumps out in front of me.. massive handfull of the front brake... off I go... (only about 20-25mph btw)

strines road... just turned on to it from the snake pass... wall on my right.. for some reason looking at the wall rather than the road.. there is a bit it's an unexpected right turn so I sees the right turn... panics.. massive handfull of the front brake.. off I go...

see the patern emerging?... I think Ive learnt my lesson now Very Happy the were all nearly 3 years + ago so hopefully that's it.
____________________
1989 CG125 - Childhood Sweetheart (she got kidnapped by baddies)
1998 ZXR400 - Teenage Love (lasted three years, then she turned lesbian and left me)
2001 XRV750 - Wife Material (still getting to know her but head over heels in love)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:24 - 13 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 years, no accidents and no plans to have one, ever. It'd scuff my slippers, and you can never really replace a favourite pipe.

The only situation that concerns me is being caught flat-footed at 0mph by an incoming cage. There doesn't seem much that we can do about that except for visibility (and volume).
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

AL-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:29 - 13 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

26 years old, riding on the road for 9 years and have had 2 accidents

First one. 17 years old. Honda CG125

Got distracted by a young, rather attractive girl which took my attention off the road (Embarassed), I turned back round to watch me clip an on coming car. I was young and naive, lucky taught me a valuable lesson

Second one. 21 years old. Yamaha R6

A car pulled out in front of me (Evil or Very Mad) and I ploughed into the side of him. Driver was young and hadn't long passed his test. I got off lightly with a broken wrist in a couple of places, broken finger and a cracked rib. My other half at the time come off worse than me which a shattered thumb, broken pelvis and a broken wrist. Driver admitted 100% liability Thumbs Up


Last edited by AL- on 13:32 - 13 May 2011; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave McCool
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:31 - 13 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

24 and riding a year, or very nearly a year anyway.

2 accidents so far, one was a lowside on a roundabout, blaming over-confidence on tyres that weren't properly scrubbed in for that one, no real damage thanks to crash bungs, all fixed relatively cheaply, took it as a lesson learned.

Number two was being taken from behind by a mate on his bike, he had a bit of a closing speed, and when I started braking for a hazard he panic braked and lost the plot, sending him and his bike sliding towards me. His bike hit me, didn't know anything about it til I hit the deck, both slid to a stop and got up fine, no damage at all to us, which is the important thing. Both bikes written off though, but hey, you live and learn.
____________________
McGee - "When I go to the mall and see all the high school girls, I have to have DO NOT TOUCH THE GIRLS written on my hand. Every time I go to grope I see it and stop."
K7 GSXR750
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:35 - 13 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

54 y.o. riding 38 yrs, 76 offs, 11 road, 65 track.

OGR
____________________
2022 Tiger Sport 660 2019 Street Twin 2003 K3 gixxer 1000 1998 Srad 600 track hack
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:45 - 13 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

36 yrs old and I've had 1. Fallen over a couple of times also but only 1 accident.

Not long had the 125 and riding through Belfast City center in the wet during rush hour when the car in front slammed on his brakes. I hit mine and lost the front end of the bike. Was only going about 10mph or so and the bike slid into the car in front before dropping. No damage at all and the bloke made sure I was ok and got into his car again.

Other times I just dropped the bike with no one around.
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RichieZX6R
Nearly there...



Joined: 15 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:51 - 13 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Git Racing wrote:
54 y.o. riding 38 yrs, 76 offs, 11 road, 65 track.

OGR


I was going to say thats quite impressive but i didn't realise till the end about the track.

Cheers
____________________
Current: Kawazaki ZX6R 51
Past: Kawazaki ZX6R 96 - Honda CBR 600F4 05 - Dragstar 125 02 - Honda CB 400 SF 94 - Honda NSR 125 51 - Gilera Runner XV125 04
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:51 - 13 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

29 yrs old, 3 crashes, been riding for 7 yrs

2 x crahes filtering, both deemed non fault of mine

Other was front slid out on my GS500 on ice, had no chance!
____________________
Current bike - GSX-R1000 k8
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

angryjonny
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:51 - 13 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

33. Riding 5 years. 1 minor prang when a Volvo changed lanes on me without looking. Minor cosmetic damage to both vehicles and a slightly iffy knee for a day or two.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jimbothe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:24 - 13 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

33 years old
riding 17 years (inc. moped at 16)
1 accident.

Serious one. Hit a deer at 80, over the bars, slid a VERY long way. Would have came out a lot better if I didn't hit a tree mid roll.

3 weeks intensive, 5 weeks ward, 8 month rehab.
____________________
Check out our tackle shop on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/JklTackle
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kris
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:27 - 13 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 in 10 years, 1 non-fault.
____________________
NSR125RR - ZXR750H1 - ZX9R E1 - GSF600S - GSF600SK3 - VFR400-NC30 - SV1000N - ST1100-R - CBR900RR-R - GSF1200SK5 - GSF600SK1 - VFR1200FA - GSXR1000K2 - ZZR1400 D8F
www.prisonplanet.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mistergixer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:36 - 13 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Age: 36 (in 8 days time)
Not riding currently, but around 10 years experience.

Crash tally:
On road - 0
Off road - more than i care to remember, all my own fault, apart from the ones on my '82 RM125 - that thing tried to kill me, repeatedly. Loved it dearly though.

Twisted Evil
____________________
Space Monkey #7
Don Eladio is dead. His capos are dead. You have no one left to fight for. Fill your pockets and leave in peace. Or fight me and die!
Mistergixer's videos on YouTube
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Tot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:43 - 13 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

24, been riding 7 years.

3 "non-clumsy accidents" (by which I mean <5mph slips and trips)

1) Lowside on a roundabout trying too hard to get my knee down on the ZXR250 - fairing damage, broken levers and scuffed leathers. Lesson learnt - when trying for a knee down on a roundabout, recce it first to see if there there are some obvious hazards, such as an exit from a quarry with loads of dust and gravel 1/2 way through!

Age, 18

2) Lowside on a roundabout in the wet. Too much gas at too much lean angle and down I went. Traffic cops saw oil on exit so i guess lesson learnt is to SLOW down in the wet. Totalled my ZX6R - all fairings damaged and exhaust needed replacement ( would have been easier if it was a slip on system)

Age, 20

3) Blatant N00b mistake, down to poor observation and focusing too much on trying to look cool because I had my camera mounted to the pillion. Apexed a corner early which tightened on itself. Too high a gear, too fast a speed. Target fixated on the "assumed" exit of the S bend and totally ballsed it up. Bike went off roading at 30 mph into a farmers furrowed field. NOTHING damaged, but caught on camera.

Age 23

So, based on a rule of averages, I usually have an accident every 2-3 years as a result of cockiness and overconfidence. Need to get onto track and learn properly in a controlled environment.
____________________
The Tot 2019 Z1000SX - 2007 R1
Never argue with autism
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

t121anf
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:48 - 13 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

we counting drops?

if not

2

1. july 2006, came off about about 60mph, low side slide along the road, bike went flying.
2. dec sometime ago, tried to turn on a manhole cover, back end slipped form under me.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 145 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 0.6 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 133.11 Kb