Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


So, I just knocked some Chinese woman down...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi



Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:38 - 24 May 2011    Post subject: So, I just knocked some Chinese woman down... Reply with quote

Left work, riding down through an industrial estate and take this 90 degree corner which has a railway bridge you go under as soon as you turn the corner. As I come under it and out the other side, I immediately spot this woman riding a bike on the pavement on my side of the road. She had shopping bags on both sides of her handle bars and on the back of her bike. Out of nowhere, she just does a sharp right and bumps down off the pavement without even looking where she's going.

Queue me trying to brake hard enough without skidding and she decides to look my way to realise I'm coming straight at her. She totally froze and didn't move, I reckon I hit her at 20mph ish.

Some guys jumped out a van behind me and kept her still whilst they phoned an ambulance. Paramedics checked her over on the floor then helped her to her feet and into the ambulance. Police arrived, took my details and breathalysed me, checked I was insured etc and said that was the end of it.

I had a couple of guys come out from the Peugeot garage and said they didn't see it but told the copper they usually hear bikes winding up down that road and watch them fly past and said they never even heard the bike or hear the accident. Copper said there wasn't any skid marks on the road and said it was just a mistake on her part for not looking. Paramedics gave her the all clear, said she was shaken up and had some brusing on her ribs so they took her to hospital for some tests just to be safe.

Problem was, I was riding my sisters B1H 3rd party, so I won't be able to claim back anything for the fucked nose cone. Nothing is smashed up, just 2 large cracks and 3 small one's around the headlights.

The main thing is though, the woman is alright and not seriously injured and I managed to stay on the bike. She pretty much stopped the bike dead when I hit her mountain bike.

I just can't believe she didn't look before doing that, still can't get over people who have no regard for their own safety like that. I've seen people do it too many times, just step out into roads without double checking.

Suppose I will have to wait now and see if she decides to claim on my insurance for it, no doubt all kinds of things will pop up when she does. She didn't speak much English either so who knows. Copper gave me her name, address and phone number. She's local to me, do you reckon I should phone her up in the next few days and see if she's alright or leave it?

Pictures below...

https://recoilwebdesign.com/ninja/IMAG0179.jpg
https://recoilwebdesign.com/ninja/IMAG0180.jpg
https://recoilwebdesign.com/ninja/IMAG0181.jpg
https://recoilwebdesign.com/ninja/IMAG0182.jpg
https://recoilwebdesign.com/ninja/IMAG0183.jpg
https://recoilwebdesign.com/ninja/IMAG0184.jpg
https://recoilwebdesign.com/ninja/IMAG0185.jpg
https://recoilwebdesign.com/ninja/IMAG0186.jpg
https://recoilwebdesign.com/ninja/IMAG0187.jpg

My sisters boyfriend used to work at a body repair place and said they used to fix bike fairings like this all the time by using like a iron thing to knit the cracks back together, then putting fibre glass over and sanding it all down and repainting it. He thinks maybe he could get it done for about £50 because he knows the guys there.


Last edited by Jayy on 19:44 - 24 May 2011; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TUG
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:42 - 24 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fucking hell Jay you snapped the clock mount too? How heavy was she?! Laughing

Those mounts cost!
____________________
Haz ER-5, innit!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:44 - 24 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's she going to claim off your insurance? She caused the accident.

You'd be quite within your rights to demand she pays for the damage to the bike and take her to the small claims court if she doesn't fork out.

Doubtful you'd actually see any money at the end of the day mind.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi



Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:46 - 24 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

She was about 45 odd, only small! She rolled backwards across the road and her bike pretty much folded in half.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi



Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:51 - 24 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is Stinkwheel, at the scene of an accident, it's one thing when they say something or admit liability (if you're stupid enough to do that) but as soon as they've had a bit of time to think about it, suddenly, it was your fault and they were in the right.

Nobody really saw it actually happen, some woman in the car behind me was half way up the road as I took the 90 degree turn and she arrived 30 seconds after it happened. She said to me whilst we were waiting for the ambulance, "You must of been speeding to hit her". I said there's no skid marks on the road, I wasn't speeding and how the fuck would she know anyway when she didn't even see it.

She hung around and I did see her speaking to the copper but then she drove off. After I was finished talking with the copper, he said was she a witness or something? So I assume he never took any details from her. The copper was proper sound for once, wasn't being a jobsworth and talking to me in the same tone as I was talking to him. Was actually quire refreshing to not have some cock of a copper giving you the 3rd degree, especially as it genuinely wasn't my fault and I wasn't speeding.

The guy at the Peugeot garage told me to ring him if I need anything from him for the police.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:03 - 24 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
How's she going to claim off your insurance? She caused the accident.

You'd be quite within your rights to demand she pays for the damage to the bike and take her to the small claims court if she doesn't fork out.

Doubtful you'd actually see any money at the end of the day mind.


I was going to say something like this but stinkwheel said it so much better than I could have done!

Also the speed at which you travel does not affect another person's ability to look both ways before crossing the road. So whether you were under the limit, over the limit or doing the limit SHE caused the accident by swerving into the road without checking that it was clear first.
____________________
Theory test - 19/8/09, CBT - 11/10/09, MOD 1 - 16/8/10, MOD 2 - 27/10/10
Past rides Yamaha XT125X, Triumph TT600, Honda XR250
Current rides Suzuki GSXR 600, Honda MSX125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi



Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:07 - 24 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

So she can't actually claim anything from my insurance anyway?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:07 - 24 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recoil Jay wrote:
Thing is Stinkwheel, at the scene of an accident, it's one thing when they say something or admit liability (if you're stupid enough to do that) but as soon as they've had a bit of time to think about it, suddenly, it was your fault and they were in the right.


Get it all written down. Exactly what happened, where, who was there etc. for future reference.

If someone tried it on with me under those circumstances, I'd immediately hit her back with a counter-claim for the full price of every bit of damage to the bike. Which believe me will come to a pretty large number.

I'd also take it all the way to court. Worst case they find against you... but you're insured so the most you lose is the excess. Even a 60:40 finding in her favour will see her paying for 40% of a new nose fairing and clock mounts and you are the winner.

It might be an idea to report the incident to your insurance company in any case. Get your version of events down first.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:08 - 24 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
You'd be quite within your rights to demand she pays for the damage to the bike and take her to the small claims court if she doesn't fork out.


This, get a couple of quotes for the costs, and post to her and perhaps put a letter in urging her to read the highway code and before she launches herself into the road another time to 'look'.

You might be surprised. She might want to settle out of court (if you suggest it might come to that), and she might pay you some money for the damages. Thumbs Up
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:16 - 24 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame you can't claim for your injuries - the ones your sister is going to do you when she sees her bike Very Happy

Do you know if she told the cops she was riding on the pavement? For you to have hit her she must have ridden off it onto the road which should be enough to prove blame I should think, despite what stories she might come up with in retrospect.

I once worked with a guy who hit an old lady after she walked right out from between cars. His ZXR750 was damaged much worse than that bike and he did manage to successfully sue her for the repairs.
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ajbsmirnoff
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Dec 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:16 - 24 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lifesavers - not just for chaps on motorbikes and bikers on foot. Also good for pushbikes too.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:34 - 24 May 2011    Post subject: Re: So, I just knocked some Chinese woman down... Reply with quote

Recoil Jay wrote:
Some guys jumped out a van behind me and kept her still whilst they phoned an ambulance. Paramedics checked her over on the floor then helped her to her feet and into the ambulance. Police arrived, took my details and breathalysed me, checked I was insured etc and said that was the end of it.


Hope you got the officers name and get a copy of her statement, if he has said no further action. As she must have admitted she did not look...

Quote:
Nobody really saw it actually happen, some woman in the car behind me was half way up the road as I took the 90 degree turn and she arrived 30 seconds after it happened. She said to me whilst we were waiting for the ambulance, "You must of been speeding to hit her". I said there's no skid marks on the road, I wasn't speeding and how the fuck would she know anyway when she didn't even see it.


Story changing already Laughing
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MattJ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:53 - 24 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I clicked on this thread I thought it was the start of a joke.

The woman in the car behind you is in serious need of a pimp slap.

Glad you're okay, and I hope the woman you hit is okay. Although, I hope you hit her hard enough to knock some sense into her.

However, most importantly, THE BIKE! OH MY GOD IS IT OKAY? Such a nice bike, sad to see it hurt.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Acemastr
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:58 - 24 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh the ol'e exploding ZXR front ends!

Glad you kept it up
____________________
2017 KTM 350 XC-F - 2014 Yamaha R6 - 2005 Yamaha YZ125
2016 Toyota Tacoma Limited
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dragstaar
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:14 - 24 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon it'd brin our fucking premiums down if they made cyclists take out some form of fucking insurance. I hate the way they seem to think that can just bop into the middle of the friggin' road and we're the one's who have to swerve around them because we're the one's with the motors.

Once, in London I saw a cyclist scratch up two vans and a car as he cycled past.

It aggravates. Mobility scooters have insurance. Why the hell don't bicycles. I understand there will be complications as to children and regulation etc. but they should make it like the mobility scooters. Insurance optional. But if you fuck up and mess someone else's shit up they fuck you in arse HARD.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paivi
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:23 - 24 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you took photos of her pushbike with the shopping bags on each handlebars, as that could have affected the balance of the bike, so maybe she didn't mean to ride off the pavement onto the road but had to, to avoid falling into it, as the bags on that side were heavier.
____________________
My other bike's a Monster... Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi



Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:27 - 24 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will write it all down... I have this vague memory that there's a camera pointing down that road, not sure but I'm going to go and have a look tomorrow, maybe it belongs to one of the car dealerships there and I could get a copy of the tape if it was on.

Spoke to my sisters boyfriend and from looking at the pictures, he reckons it can all be repaired relatively cheaply using his old work place who can do it as a favour for him. See what he says tomorrow.

My sister was surprisingly calm about it, said as long as nobody died and everyone is alright the bike can always be fixed. Will also go back to the Peugeot dealer and see what he's prepared to say if I need to use him.

Aside from the fact I nearly killed some little Chinese old lady, I'm quite impressed that I didn't slide it down the street and it's only done them cracks and nothing more costly.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi



Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:29 - 24 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paivi wrote:
Hope you took photos of her pushbike with the shopping bags on each handlebars, as that could have affected the balance of the bike, so maybe she didn't mean to ride off the pavement onto the road but had to, to avoid falling into it, as the bags on that side were heavier.


Totally forgot to take any photos, I was more concerned the woman was alright. The bike is actually in the Peugeot dealers, I could go take some photos tomorrow and the guy there can confirm the shopping bags as well as the copper.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Minty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:32 - 24 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you told her to open her eyes? Wink
____________________
My fingers smell of your mum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jay12329
Dr. Evil



Joined: 02 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:33 - 24 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call a bike solicitor. If you are lucky she will have public liability insurance in her house insurance. I know I have!
I doubt she would have specialist pushbike insurance but that comes with a 3rd part element as well.

HTH
J
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi



Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:41 - 24 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never trust someone you can blindfold with a shoe lace.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

swampy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:45 - 24 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragstaar wrote:
It aggravates. Mobility scooters have insurance. Why the hell don't bicycles. I understand there will be complications as to children and regulation etc. but they should make it like the mobility scooters. Insurance optional. But if you fuck up and mess someone else's shit up they fuck you in arse HARD.



If insurance is optional, they're not making them do anything. I'm sure you could insure yourself on a pushbike if you wanted..
____________________
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson
"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death..." Hunter S Thompson
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:46 - 24 May 2011    Post subject: Re: So, I just knocked some Chinese woman down... Reply with quote

I'll say it before Cansa does:

Recoil Jay wrote:
my sisters ,


Pics? Laughing
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Chalky.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:55 - 24 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll never hear from her again.

+ sis pics Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:06 - 24 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know his sister in real life, I do. She's bang tidy and I smashed her back doors in and everything.
____________________
My mum smells your fingers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 138 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.58 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 132.15 Kb