Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Newbie Helmet Camera Questions

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Chriss
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:34 - 25 May 2011    Post subject: Newbie Helmet Camera Questions Reply with quote

Hi all,

Does anyone use the VIO POV camera? Just looking to see if anyone has any issues with it. Is it very water proof? Most things motorcycle seem to claim water proof, but this doesn't include the heavy British rain we get occasionally. I'm looking to record my commute to cover myself.

Thanks for any thoughts and experiences.
____________________
TheShaggyDA: I've got 3 or 4 pairs that predate my wife, so at least 11.5 years old.


Last edited by Chriss on 14:13 - 25 May 2011; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

imanupstart
Traffic Copper



Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:38 - 25 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the non HD 1.5 but its pretty much the same unit. Dropped it several times, it can really take a bashing. It is waterproof, you can drop it in a puddle no worries Wink Biggest weak point are the pins that attach the camera to the unit, they can break really easily if your constantly disconnecting the camera. A lot of money for just recording your commute though!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:49 - 25 May 2011    Post subject: Re: VIO POV HD Helmet Camera Reply with quote

Sven has one and did a video review of it.

I've got the non-HD one and generally happy with it.
Biggest gripe is that ideally I'd want a 2 way remote that shows you if it's recording.

As above, expensive to record your commute. The go pro's wider angle of view might be better for that sort of thing, not sure if you can wire it in to the bike's power however.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Chriss
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:24 - 25 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go-pro is a cracking piece of kit, really like it, one downside for me is if I smash my helmet on the floor and it comes pinging off it could potentially be easily destroyed/lost. What I really like about this is the fact you could rip the camera out and the recording unit is still there. I realise this is the least of my worries in the event of an accident, but my excess for my bike is £500, this could very quickly and easily pay for itself.

Recently had an accident on a bicycle, white van just drove off from the scene, I saw the plate, but was in shock so remembered it wrong. Embarassed Again, this could be easily moved from helmet to bicycle lid.

Know of other devices that do the same thing cheaper? Must be waterproof, with a recording brick and separate camera? Smile
____________________
TheShaggyDA: I've got 3 or 4 pairs that predate my wife, so at least 11.5 years old.


Last edited by Chriss on 10:25 - 25 May 2011; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Chriss
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:25 - 25 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, what is Sven's user name?
____________________
TheShaggyDA: I've got 3 or 4 pairs that predate my wife, so at least 11.5 years old.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

truslack
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:29 - 25 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Svengalie

[edit]

Actually it doesn't seem to be that on this forum, not sure if he's still around.
____________________
Current: Suzuki RG 125 Gamma, Honda H100, Triumph Tiger 800XC, Suzuki SV650 (minitwin)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

imanupstart
Traffic Copper



Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:46 - 25 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriss wrote:

Know of other devices that do the same thing cheaper? Must be waterproof, with a recording brick and separate camera? Smile


The only other one I know of is the MiniDvr https://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/minidvr3-bullet-camera.html can't tell you if its any good or not.

Personally for just recording commutes something like a drift would be perfect, cheap(er) and no wires like the pov that will eventually p*ss you off so much Laughing https://www.actioncameras.co.uk/X170
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

truslack
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:49 - 25 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the one I'm thinking of going with, looks perfect!

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=221384
____________________
Current: Suzuki RG 125 Gamma, Honda H100, Triumph Tiger 800XC, Suzuki SV650 (minitwin)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Chriss
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:54 - 25 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

truslack wrote:
This is the one I'm thinking of going with, looks perfect!

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=221384


Funny you should say that, was just looking at this which is identical to the one you found, even down to the numbers in the price. Laughing
____________________
TheShaggyDA: I've got 3 or 4 pairs that predate my wife, so at least 11.5 years old.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:57 - 25 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sven's name on here is 'S'.

For recording a commute, personally I wouldn't want it helmet mounted with a seperate recording unit - seems far too much hassle (having used a helmet mounted VIO before - remember your helmet is now attached to your jacket, basically.)
I'd be going for a bike mounted solution. Ok, you can't look around with the camera, but the price you could get several cheaper recorders.

What about the countour HD? I really like the idea of the GPS version - but I'd worry slightly that it could be 'used in evidence' for on road stuff. However, could also work both ways if it shows you WERE doing under the speed limit when they claimed you were doing twice - pointing to their even worse observations, etc.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

olionel
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:14 - 25 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj26JjSiazQ&feature=player_embedded
____________________
1989 CG125 - Childhood Sweetheart (she got kidnapped by baddies)
1998 ZXR400 - Teenage Love (lasted three years, then she turned lesbian and left me)
2001 XRV750 - Wife Material (still getting to know her but head over heels in love)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Chriss
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:41 - 25 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
What about the countour HD? I really like the idea of the GPS version - but I'd worry slightly that it could be 'used in evidence' for on road stuff. However, could also work both ways if it shows you WERE doing under the speed limit when they claimed you were doing twice - pointing to their even worse observations, etc.

Some interesting ideas G, thanks! I'll certainly have a look into those.

Also, I know what you both mean by by the wires being a pain in the back side, but I'd rather not lose the camera in the event of an accident. I lost a Wiz knee slider once in a low slide, never did find it. Must have ended up in the ditch somewhere. Chance of this sort of thing happening are rare, but I can guarantee the next time something flies off, it'll be my evidence against a "Sorry mate" when he suddenly changes his story.

Also, due to the very fact helmet mounted ones have to be small, they are often lower quality video. I notice there is a drift HD out now, but it's much more expensive than the SD one. Though still a lot cheaper than the VIO POV HD. Thinking

Currently looking at this one, but waiting for Eggs Benedict to return to ask him some questions.

olionel wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj26JjSiazQ&feature=player_embedded


No good for my hour commute but interesting. Thumbs Up
____________________
TheShaggyDA: I've got 3 or 4 pairs that predate my wife, so at least 11.5 years old.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Chriss
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:54 - 25 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
What about the countour HD? I really like the idea of the GPS version - but I'd worry slightly that it could be 'used in evidence' for on road stuff. However, could also work both ways if it shows you WERE doing under the speed limit when they claimed you were doing twice - pointing to their even worse observations, etc.


Thinking about it, all you need is to be doing 33mph in a 30 and suddenly there's an argument in an accident "Well, you were speeding". More often than not I am probably over the speed limit by one or two mph than under it, which is true for a majority of drivers.
____________________
TheShaggyDA: I've got 3 or 4 pairs that predate my wife, so at least 11.5 years old.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:57 - 25 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriss wrote:

Currently looking at this one, but waiting for Eggs Benedict to return to ask him some questions.

That one's not really 'HD' - not even 720p, never mind 1080.
Ah, I see the title specifies 720p, but the image correctly says 576p.

Archos are also worth considering for that sort of thing, though I don't know what they currently offer.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Marmalade
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:02 - 25 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eggs B is happy with his, I'm still trying to coax the MB per hour info out of him.

It does video continuously but one thing is, if i had a major prang and was carted off to hospital, the recorder would just keep going and record over the incident.
____________________
Nobby the Bastard: How yo tell the difference between the actual japanese and her just screaming because she's had live fish stuck up her arse? [url=https://www.nicks-shop.co.uk/bcf-goodies-15-c.aspGet BCF stickers and things here[/url] Reflective helmet stickers - Legal requirement in france - Clicky
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Chriss
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:38 - 25 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marmalade wrote:
It does video continuously but one thing is, if i had a major prang and was carted off to hospital, the recorder would just keep going and record over the incident.


Have a sticker saying: In case of emergency, press 'stop'. Laughing

Valid point but even the £600 POV camera has a button you hit to start the recording (from my understanding from Sven's video). Car pulls out you're sparked out no chance to hit the tag button.
____________________
TheShaggyDA: I've got 3 or 4 pairs that predate my wife, so at least 11.5 years old.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Marmalade
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:58 - 25 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eggs says it is 260mb for a 30 min clip.

Seems a bit low to me.

As for the low res, he's got it set at a lower than maximum to conserve memory.
____________________
Nobby the Bastard: How yo tell the difference between the actual japanese and her just screaming because she's had live fish stuck up her arse? [url=https://www.nicks-shop.co.uk/bcf-goodies-15-c.aspGet BCF stickers and things here[/url] Reflective helmet stickers - Legal requirement in france - Clicky
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Chriss
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:12 - 25 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marmalade wrote:
Eggs says it is 260mb for a 30 min clip.

Seems a bit low to me.

As for the low res, he's got it set at a lower than maximum to conserve memory.


Any idea what it's like on a high resolution? I'm not sure to be honest if I really need HD, nor what the advantage is, other than better quality.

Can anyone tell me what I'd really be looking for? Do I need 60fps or would 30fps be more than enough. What about video resolution? How many by how many do I need?

Will change my title to reflect the subject better.
____________________
TheShaggyDA: I've got 3 or 4 pairs that predate my wife, so at least 11.5 years old.


Last edited by Chriss on 14:22 - 25 May 2011; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:22 - 25 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resolution and frame rate aren't massively important.

Presuming you'll be riding at night at some points, I'd look for a camera that can handle that ok first.

A 320*240 15fps video taken with excellent kit will still be better than a 1920*1080 60fps video taken with terrible kit.

Similarly, I wouldn't get overly worried on bit rate personally, unless it's too high to fit enough on to a big card usefully.
While a very low bit rate will limit quality, often a high bit rate just records your poor quality image in excellent detail. Also, different codecs have different quality per mb values; so two with the same number may give vastly different outputs with the same source.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Chriss
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:37 - 25 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Presuming you'll be riding at night at some points, I'd look for a camera that can handle that ok first.


Excellent point, I'll ask Eggs Benedict if he's tried it!

G wrote:
A 320*240 15fps video taken with excellent kit will still be better than a 1920*1080 60fps video taken with terrible kit.

Similarly, I wouldn't get overly worried on bit rate personally, unless it's too high to fit enough on to a big card usefully.
While a very low bit rate will limit quality, often a high bit rate just records your poor quality image in excellent detail. Also, different codecs have different quality per mb values; so two with the same number may give vastly different outputs with the same source.


From the looks of the video from Eggs Benedict I'd be fairly happy with that, especially if it's on a low quality setting. That one's not too painful on the old wallet either. Ultimately I just want it to act as a reliable witness statement and I have to bare this in mind. I think I'm getting a bit bogged down with numbers and letters, HD included.

I'd welcome additional thoughts from other members on their recording equipment.
____________________
TheShaggyDA: I've got 3 or 4 pairs that predate my wife, so at least 11.5 years old.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:08 - 25 May 2011    Post subject: Re: Newbie Helmet Camera Questions Reply with quote

Have a look through some of the options on here for a start: https://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/products.htm - though of course remember they are going to choose videos that make their cameras look good.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:10 - 25 May 2011    Post subject: Re: VIO POV HD Helmet Camera Reply with quote

G wrote:
...not sure if you can wire it in to the bike's power however.


You can, but you'd have to buy the skeleton case which is about £20 and that's not waterproof.

For a commute, you wouldn't need to plug it into the bike. The battery lasts over 2 hours.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:28 - 25 May 2011    Post subject: Re: VIO POV HD Helmet Camera Reply with quote

Power just saves some hassle and means it's easier to just leave it on the bike.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:02 - 25 May 2011    Post subject: Re: VIO POV HD Helmet Camera Reply with quote

G wrote:
Power just saves some hassle and means it's easier to just leave it on the bike.


Why on earth would someone want to leave a £200+ camera on the bike? Are you crazy man? Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:19 - 25 May 2011    Post subject: Re: VIO POV HD Helmet Camera Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:
G wrote:
Power just saves some hassle and means it's easier to just leave it on the bike.


Why on earth would someone want to leave a £200+ camera on the bike? Are you crazy man? Laughing


Personally I like the idea of camera mounted on the bike out of sight all the time and a seperate recording unit, you can remove.

You can get systems that will auto save when there is a sudden bump etc.

Also try searching for 4kam systems. They do some older models at cheaper prices. Again they are 2 part systems.
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 136 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.38 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 136.16 Kb