Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


24 Toasters from Scunthorpe

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

mistergixer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:26 - 26 May 2011    Post subject: 24 Toasters from Scunthorpe Reply with quote

Help required from the BCF interwebs massive:

I'm trying to find an old advert that i remember from when i was a kid (circa late 70s early 80s).

The advert was for Mobil's premier card loyalty scheme, and used the classic Gene Pitney '24 hours from Tulsa' tune, with the (adapted) lyrics sung by a bloke in a suit dancing around a petrol station.

I've tried the usual Google/You Tube route, but it's not turned up a result.

I've had the song going round my head all morning for some reason, but i can't remember all the lyrics. It goes along the lines of:

I've been driving, travelling
Clock up the miles and rack up the points
On my Premier card

......

And i am only
24 toasters from Scunthorpe
Only 6 double beds from Torquay
And i can't decide if i will
Choose a diamond ring or a drill


I know there's a lot of layabouts on BCF who have nothing better to do all day than troll the interwebs, so i'm throwing myself on your mercy.

Karma given to whoever finds it.

Thumbs Up
____________________
Space Monkey #7
Don Eladio is dead. His capos are dead. You have no one left to fight for. Fill your pockets and leave in peace. Or fight me and die!
Mistergixer's videos on YouTube
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Poseidon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:30 - 26 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQqUCd9zfS0

Should've typed 24 toasters from scunthorpe into youtube
____________________
1977 Honda CG125
2002 Ducati Monster S4 (currently restoring)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

GhostRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:33 - 26 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before poseidon got in there, I was going to correct you by saying it was an advert for Argos, cuz I remember it always being played around christmas time, so figured it would make your search easier...... but then you could have just typed the thread title into youtube and found your answer evidently.....


GhostRider
____________________
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mistergixer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:38 - 26 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQqUCd9zfS0

Should've typed 24 toasters from scunthorpe into youtube


I thought i had. The evidence seems to suggest otherwise.

I think i put some extra stuff in there like 'Mobil advert 24 toasters....etc'

Confused

Anyway, you're a star. Karma given.
____________________
Space Monkey #7
Don Eladio is dead. His capos are dead. You have no one left to fight for. Fill your pockets and leave in peace. Or fight me and die!
Mistergixer's videos on YouTube


Last edited by mistergixer on 11:40 - 26 May 2011; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

angryjonny
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:40 - 26 May 2011    Post subject: Re: 24 Toasters from Scunthorpe Reply with quote

mistergixer wrote:
I'm trying to find an old advert that i remember from when i was a kid (circa late 70s early 80s).


Incidendally, his car is a mk3 L-reg Cavalier, which puts this ad at 1993 at the earliest. Funny how time runs away with you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mistergixer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:50 - 26 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey, i was 18 in '93.

I recall it being much earlier than that, seems the senility is creeping in faster than i expected.

Now, next question: can anyone tell me what my name is and where i live?
____________________
Space Monkey #7
Don Eladio is dead. His capos are dead. You have no one left to fight for. Fill your pockets and leave in peace. Or fight me and die!
Mistergixer's videos on YouTube
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:18 - 26 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your name is Leroy Brown III. You play sax in an Acid Jazz band.
You live on the Tour Bus.

...You missed the bus.
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mistergixer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:23 - 26 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad, bad Leroy Brown?
Baddest dude in the whole damn town?
Badder than ole King Kong?
Meaner than a junkyard dawg?
____________________
Space Monkey #7
Don Eladio is dead. His capos are dead. You have no one left to fight for. Fill your pockets and leave in peace. Or fight me and die!
Mistergixer's videos on YouTube
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:28 - 26 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the other one.
____________________
Greetings from Shitsville!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:31 - 26 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazy Crazy Leroy Brown.
Bin sellin' herb all over town.
Should've left his stash in an ole shoe box.
Instead of down his pants..Got caught by the cops.
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mistergixer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:47 - 26 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus Icon wrote:
No, the other one.


The one Queen wanted to bring back? Daddy cool with a ninety dollar smile?

Or, the one Dirt McGirt referenced:

Bad, bad, Leroy Brown
Baddest man in the whole damn town
Badder than the deep blue seaaaaa
Badder than you and meeeeee
......

The style I'm ampin the... fuck my name, who I be?
Fuck the game, it's all about the moneyyyy!
Owahhaerahh, sometimes I get high with the Meth
Then I turn to the Killah Priest
When it comes TWELVE O'CLOCK!!
I turn into the demon beast, yo


That one?
____________________
Space Monkey #7
Don Eladio is dead. His capos are dead. You have no one left to fight for. Fill your pockets and leave in peace. Or fight me and die!
Mistergixer's videos on YouTube
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:04 - 26 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a sec, I thought you said Mother Brown. My bad.
____________________
Greetings from Shitsville!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:07 - 26 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistergixer wrote:
Bad, bad Leroy Brown?
Baddest dude in the whole damn town?
Badder than ole King Kong?
Meaner than a junkyard dawg?


For the longest time I thought that was "Badder than whooping cough". It was only a year or so ago I got corrected Embarassed
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:17 - 26 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit mistergixer that usually I find you to be quite an affable chap. Posting worthwhile prose and in general an interesting forum member. That all changed upon wasting 60 seconds staring in horror at the abomination linked in this thread at your request.

In the words of Kelis (and the hatred deepens as I am reminded of another song I loath) - I hate you so much right now Neutral

Puke
____________________
I'm immortal. Well, so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Poseidon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:41 - 26 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
mistergixer wrote:
Bad, bad Leroy Brown?
Baddest dude in the whole damn town?
Badder than ole King Kong?
Meaner than a junkyard dawg?


For the longest time I thought that was "Badder than whooping cough". It was only a year or so ago I got corrected Embarassed

That's nothing, I had an uncle that thought the chorus to Queens "Hammer to Fall" was "Harrison Ford!" We caught him singing it in the pub and have never let him forget it!
____________________
1977 Honda CG125
2002 Ducati Monster S4 (currently restoring)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mistergixer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:25 - 26 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Effortlessly bridging the subjects of misheard lyrics and old adverts, i bring you this 1989 Maxell cassette advert parodying Desmond Dekker's 'Israelites':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEe0qqPAC6E

To this day, whenever i hear the song, those are the lyrics i sing:

Darling cheesehead,
I was yards too greasy
Oh oh
Me ears are alight.


Maxell also did a Skids parody (into the valley) which is linked on the same page, but i never rated it as much.
____________________
Space Monkey #7
Don Eladio is dead. His capos are dead. You have no one left to fight for. Fill your pockets and leave in peace. Or fight me and die!
Mistergixer's videos on YouTube
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Poseidon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:32 - 26 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistergixer wrote:

Darling cheesehead,
I was yards too greasy
Oh oh
Me ears are alight.


Having only been born in 1984, I remembered the mobil advert, but the maxell advert is new to me... That is some quality advert! Have some reciprocal Karma for brightening up my night!
____________________
1977 Honda CG125
2002 Ducati Monster S4 (currently restoring)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter



Joined: 01 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:36 - 26 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't remember that advert but it does remind me of this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1mSDvQlrWo&feature=related
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Beelzebob
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 08 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:50 - 15 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this 'The Amazing Mr Smith'?

I only say this because my mum had a tape album of his a while back. It was called 'In the mood for sheep'.
____________________
'09 YBR 125 -> '92 XJ600 S Diversion -> '99 Hornet 600

"Stronger than your average female lifeguard"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 122 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 1.44 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 108.26 Kb