Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Insurance and repairing a written off bike q?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

neil.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:19 - 28 May 2011    Post subject: Insurance and repairing a written off bike q? Reply with quote

Stupid question but I can't seem to find any definitive info on this...

I am going to repair my Cat D written off YBR (written off by the other party's insurers, not mine) and want to carry on riding it. I have it at home now so I'm now wondering what I need to do or should be aware of when it comes to my insurers. Would they cancel my policy and start a new one or just ammend the details or what? I have paid my entire premium for the year and am only 3 months into it. Also, can't find any solid info on whether I need to get a new MOT for the bike or update the V5 etc. All the info I can find is stuff written for people who don't actually fix things themselves, which just talks about letting the insurance company keep the vehicle etc. Cheers!


Last edited by neil. on 08:20 - 28 May 2011; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:20 - 28 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

fix it, get an mot, sorted
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

neil.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:23 - 28 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that was quick, thanks! About the MOT - is that a legal requirement or just for my own peace of mind, as I am confident I can do most of those checks myself following the MOT manual. Current MOT expires next January BTW.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:25 - 28 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK its a legal req to prove its roadworthy after being a cat d write off.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:43 - 28 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never got an M.O.T on my Cat D write off scooter, as it was only a year old and didn't need an M.O.T for another two years.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:02 - 28 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

cat c needs MOT.. some bikes get cat d after an indicator snaps and a crack in the panel Rolling Eyes

Wouldnt MOT personally... but you can do for piece of mind Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NickD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:51 - 28 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat D ain't a proper write off, it just means the price of parts nowadays is so daft that a cosmetic repair isn't worth their while, so they just pay out and put their prices up to claw it back.
____________________
I was only doing what it said on my licence officer....
Tear along the dotted line!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

neil.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:11 - 28 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck it, since the mileage was pretty high and there were quite a few niggly problems I've put deposit down for a new bike, but will probably fix this one and sell it to put a bit of money back in the pot. Or keep it as a backup... can't decide at the moment! Cheers for the replies everyone.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:14 - 28 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil. wrote:
Fuck it, since the mileage was pretty high and there were quite a few niggly problems I've put deposit down for a new bike, but will probably fix this one and sell it to put a bit of money back in the pot. Or keep it as a backup... can't decide at the moment! Cheers for the replies everyone.


Backup bike

What bike you looking at?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

neil.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:32 - 28 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBF125. Mr. Green
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

J D
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:31 - 28 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

If You break the Ybr i Could do with a few bits Wink
____________________
m0l0t0v wrote: Chris, just so you know, JD is a nutter Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

neil.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:08 - 28 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually started tinkering with the YBR this afternoon, managed to swap the battered exhaust (Motad Stainless) back to the standard one and fixed the overflowing carb, engine runs like a dream again. Just needs a new rider foot peg rubber, indicator lens and clutch lever to get it back how it was before the crash. I will probably remove the scratched up aftermarket screen and not bother replacing that as they don't come with one as standard.

I have a bunch of parts waiting to be fitted as it would have been due its 40'000 mile service - new chain and sprockets, new rear wheel bearings, new plug and new air filter. As it's been through nearly 40'000 miles and 3 winters with me, it's tatty, cosmetically speaking but mechanicaly sound. Might do the service and sell it, anyone interested? Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:12 - 28 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you just fix it and keep it, rather than waste your money on a CBF125? I can't see you getting very much money for a Cat D 40,000 mile 125.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

neil.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:16 - 28 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. I feel that I just want to start afresh, especially with the miles I rack up, including through winter. I don't feel the YBR could hack too much more of that without soon needing some serious work or having something major go wrong. I just fancied treating myself and like not having to bother with MOT's for 3 years as well as having 2 years of UK breakdown cover thrown in as well - which I found difficult to get cheap on the YBR because of its mileage/age.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

J D
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:29 - 28 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motad exhaust loud ? Sell me it and the screen ? Wink
____________________
m0l0t0v wrote: Chris, just so you know, JD is a nutter Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

neil.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:34 - 28 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really want them? The silencer has a big dent and black scrapes along it and the bracket that mounts it to the bike is bent. The baffle is rattling around in there as well and it isn't really much louder than the stock can. The screen is very scratched along one side and isn't in great condition anyway.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:12 - 28 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil. wrote:
I don't feel the YBR could hack too much more of that without soon needing some serious work...


But it doesn't need serious work now, so when it does need serious work, buy the CBF Wink

And if you really want to treat yourself, why not get a bigger bike?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

J D
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:12 - 28 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Its cheap enough , Ill sort the exhaust and i dont care What screen looks like Its only a runaround. Pm me a price
____________________
m0l0t0v wrote: Chris, just so you know, JD is a nutter Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

neil.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:44 - 28 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:
And if you really want to treat yourself, why not get a bigger bike?


I really like 125's - they do everything I want and the YBR must have paid for itself many times over in what I'd be spending on train fares to get to work. The CBF also really appeals to me for some reason. I fancy taking a break from all the maintenance etc to spend more time with my wife and kids at weekends - the YBR has been gradually eating more time out of me as it's been needing more and more bits and pieces doing. Have also seen similar condition YBRs going for 500-650 quid, which beats the salvage value of £240 that the insurers gave it!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:15 - 28 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil. wrote:
ms51ves3 wrote:
And if you really want to treat yourself, why not get a bigger bike?


I really like 125's - they do everything I want and the YBR must have paid for itself many times over in what I'd be spending on train fares to get to work. The CBF also really appeals to me for some reason. I fancy taking a break from all the maintenance etc to spend more time with my wife and kids at weekends - the YBR has been gradually eating more time out of me as it's been needing more and more bits and pieces doing. Have also seen similar condition YBRs going for 500-650 quid, which beats the salvage value of £240 that the insurers gave it!


CB500, give you more smiles AND maintenance is minimal.. you know you want to.
I mean, by all means keep the YBR, but why did you get your licence and not use it? Surely you could have just done the light motorcycle test if you wanna be a pussy Laughing Wink

By the way I am kidding, its your choice... but once you go up a size.. you'll be surprised how shit your 125 really is.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:21 - 28 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fairness I'd love the option to ride a 125 to work eevry day, I'm just so used to the 600 that I couldn't face the drop on power.

If I was you I'd stick with a 125 Thumbs Up
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:28 - 28 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
In fairness I'd love the option to ride a 125 to work eevry day, I'm just so used to the 600 that I couldn't face the drop on power.

If I was you I'd stick with a 125 Thumbs Up


Or have both Dance!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

neil.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:46 - 28 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's the 120mpg I'll be getting out of it that steals the show for me to be honest, as well as the stupidly cheap road tax. Not sure how much my insurance premiums would change on a bigger bike but they have been quite low for the YBR. Even did some quotes assuming the worst happens in my current insurance claim, with me losing my no claims and having a 50/50 accident behind me - only a 50 quid hike! I went for the full license to basically improve my own riding, more than anything else, as well as having do do CBT every 2 years feels like a cop-out.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:37 - 28 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil. wrote:
I think it's the 120mpg I'll be getting out of it that steals the show for me to be honest, as well as the stupidly cheap road tax. Not sure how much my insurance premiums would change on a bigger bike but they have been quite low for the YBR. Even did some quotes assuming the worst happens in my current insurance claim, with me losing my no claims and having a 50/50 accident behind me - only a 50 quid hike! I went for the full license to basically improve my own riding, more than anything else, as well as having do do CBT every 2 years feels like a cop-out.


Quote some odd bikes, like a street triple or hornets..
I find my 125 insurance to be silly with a full licence and claims, but bigger bikes seem more "respectable" in regards to pricing/power output. Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 130 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.17 Sec - Server Load: 0.69 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 127.87 Kb