BCF: Bike Chat Forums

250cc

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

trick stroker
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:21 - 24 Aug 2004    Post subject: 250cc Reply with quote

I'm soon to be going for my big bike test and am looking to be buying a bigger bike as i am getting bored with my current bike.

Which is a 1980 MZ ETZ125. After i gave it a complete nuts and bolts rebuild replacing bearings and seals all over, it can now bearly push the national speed limit, which is good considering it couldnt break 55mph when i got it, i was thinking japanese piston/conrod and some removal of heavy parts and i could be able to make go faster but its only a 125 and its not really worth it.

I'm thinking of getting a 250cc bike of less than or near to 33bhp as insurance premiums will be lower than if i get a big bike restricted.
I'm not really into plastic projectiles (or race reps as some people call them) and was wondering if anybody had any ideas of cheap reliable preferably 2 stroke bikes, as i dont like rebuilding things with cams and valves, too many things to go wrong. I was thinking of a late 70's suzuki gs250. Any other ideas?

madcyril
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:00 - 25 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki EL 250 , my cousin had one and she really liked it . Its not the fastest machine ever but it did well and looked quite cool for a chop .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trick stroker
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:27 - 25 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes kawasaki el250 nice looking for a small cruiser, but a bit out of my price range though.
Hadn't thought of looking at cruisers before, thanks for the help.

If anything else springs to mind, please let me know.

NickD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:51 - 25 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it's true that there is more to go wrong with 4 strokes, it's much less likely that anything will go wrong when compared to a 2 stroke. But if you're looking at late 70's 2 strokes, the RD 250 is well worth a look (it will have been thrashed, but find an old 2 stroke that hasn't been). Loads of fun, and a hell of a powerband particularly for it's age. Look for the 'E' model (1978 onwards) 'cos they had electronic ignition, and go for as close to standard as possible 'cos lots of them were tuned and raced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NickD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:05 - 25 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, it may be worth trying to find out what the official power figure was for the RD 400 E. It's a long time since I had mine, but I seem to remember it being around the 32/33 bhp mark. It's pretty much the same bike as the 250, and about the same top speed but the extra capacity gives it more grunt, and it will take more abuse.

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 17:12 - 25 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could always go for an ETZ251, since you already know the 125.

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

badlydamaged
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:32 - 25 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nkd666 wrote:
Also, it may be worth trying to find out what the official power figure was for the RD 400 E. It's a long time since I had mine, but I seem to remember it being around the 32/33 bhp mark. It's pretty much the same bike as the 250, and about the same top speed but the extra capacity gives it more grunt, and it will take more abuse.

Apparantly the RD400 produces 40hp (tiny bit less than the later RD350LC) and is good for 106mph Thumbs Up They also had fair fuel economy at 47mpg (350LC is 35mpg) for a two stroke.

And if I were you I'd be looking at 70s Jap two strokes, they may not always be cheep to run or 100% reliable (but then what bike is) but they sure are loads of fun Very Happy .

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 25 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EL250 is a 4-stroke!

Nice bike though, specially if you're short like me.

Claimed bhp is 27, I have had mine to (indicated) 90 without running out of puff so far.......

And price depends where you are looking for them. Mine is an L-reg, and I paid about half of what I have since seen them averaging for it.

trick stroker
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:31 - 26 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Shaggy DA" i had thought of just getting the 251etz like you suggested but i hear they have a very common problem, for them anyway, of 3rd gear choosing to stop working.

"NKd666" i have looked at 400's before and i'm afraid that with my puny student income, insurance would leave me in poverty.

Thanks for the input. Very Happy

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 26 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider the Honda Rebel 250 too, I owned one for just under a year and it was a great bike.
Lovely and reliable, easy to ride and only 22BHP. Was getting 90MPG with it too.

I also have owned an MZ ETZ251 Saxon, it broke down more than I care, but it got 70MPG and handled amazingly well for what it was!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 275 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1