Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Chain and Sprocket

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Weldrick
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 13 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:15 - 23 Aug 2011    Post subject: Chain and Sprocket Reply with quote

Need a new one, never had to do this before so I've been looking around, seen a few new ones on Ebay and one I've singled out is a Gold X Ring Chain and Sprocket Kit for £85, it's for a Honda CB600 Hornet 1998, I just need some help on whether this is a good choice or not?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Weldrick
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 13 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:18 - 23 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, forgot to mention, the make of the chain and sprocket I am looking at is D.I.D
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Casper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:21 - 23 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

DID is one of the top brands.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Chalky.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:22 - 23 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

DID are right up there.

Well reknown for their quality.

If you look after it well, it'll last the time you have the bike, within reason of course.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SuzukiTom
Nova Slayer



Joined: 18 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:22 - 23 Aug 2011    Post subject: Re: Chain and Sprocket Reply with quote

Weldrick wrote:
Need a new one, never had to do this before so I've been looking around, seen a few new ones on Ebay and one I've singled out is a Gold X Ring Chain and Sprocket Kit for £85, it's for a Honda CB600 Hornet 1998, I just need some help on whether this is a good choice or not?


is it the D.I.D one?

i bought mine at the end of the year, ive so far had 18k out of it on my bandit but it need replacing now. not bad, and the gold coating on these ones seem to prevent any rust at all. Well worth the money IMO, i D.I.D chains for everything but i think i know the kit your on about on ebay - im after one to![/b]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Weldrick
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 13 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:35 - 23 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've put the order in for a DID chain and sprocket set, £88.44 off Ebay, next step fitting!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SuzukiTom
Nova Slayer



Joined: 18 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:41 - 23 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weldrick wrote:
Well I've put the order in for a DID chain and sprocket set, £88.44 off Ebay, next step fitting!


have you done one before? its not too much fuss unless you get a really stiff bolt (often front sprock)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Weldrick
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 13 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:44 - 23 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope never, I'm not sure whether it's a split link chain or not? If not I don't have the tool to split the chain, I will end up taking it somewhere much less hassle for my very little mechanically minded mind Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SuzukiTom
Nova Slayer



Joined: 18 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:58 - 23 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weldrick wrote:
Nope never, I'm not sure whether it's a split link chain or not? If not I don't have the tool to split the chain, I will end up taking it somewhere much less hassle for my very little mechanically minded mind Smile


it is a soft link unfortunatly mate, youll need to split it and youll need to rivet the new chains 'soft link'. you dont specifically need any specialist tools to do it but its recomended to use a proper chain tool if its your first go.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:16 - 24 Aug 2011    Post subject: Re: Chain and Sprocket Reply with quote

Weldrick wrote:
Need a new one, never had to do this before so I've been looking around, seen a few new ones on Ebay and one I've singled out is a Gold X Ring Chain and Sprocket Kit for £85, it's for a Honda CB600 Hornet 1998, I just need some help on whether this is a good choice or not?



Can't go wrong with DID tbh.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stonesie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:51 - 24 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

To save you some money and gain experiance I would say to do it yourself but buy a split link to suit your chain so you can fit it yourself then take it to a bike garage for them to replace the split link with the rivet link.

To split the old chain grind the heads of the rivets on one link and tap them out with a hammer and punch.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Casper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:46 - 24 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

stonesie wrote:
To save you some money and gain experiance I would say to do it yourself but buy a split link to suit your chain so you can fit it yourself then take it to a bike garage for them to replace the split link with the rivet link.

To split the old chain grind the heads of the rivets on one link and tap them out with a hammer and punch.


Also before you pull the old chain out hook the new one to the broken link and pull it through. This will save a lot of time and hassel fitting the new chain.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SuzukiTom
Nova Slayer



Joined: 18 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:05 - 24 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you do go for it yourself remember to leave the chain on until you have undone the front sprocket nut! dont de-linkt he chain first!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

philoldsmobil...
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 18 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:17 - 24 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

most chain kets come with a rivet link and a split link, so i'd second doing it yourself and just getting the shop to change the split link for a rivet link. I ran a split link on aCBR 600 for a while, and while the side plate never shifted (they are a tight fit and it needed to be pressed on with a small G clamp and a socket) the spring itself did ping off a couple of times.

as mentioned above, first job before doing anything else is undoing the front sprocket if its a single nut job. easiest way is to sit on the bike in gear and with both brakes hard on, and get someone with a dirty great breaker bar and a decent socket to undo it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Weldrick
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 13 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:34 - 25 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've managed to get a split link tool and riveter, going to have a crack at it myself I think guys! Spoke to several people on how to do it and they all said it was easy going to check a few youtube vids out on how it has been done. Now a bigger problem is lack of the correct size sockets/spanners! I'm thinking a nice fresh stock of tools before I start to remove the chain is in order!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Weldrick
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 13 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:36 - 25 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

philoldsmobile wrote:
most chain kets come with a rivet link and a split link, so i'd second doing it yourself and just getting the shop to change the split link for a rivet link. I ran a split link on aCBR 600 for a while, and while the side plate never shifted (they are a tight fit and it needed to be pressed on with a small G clamp and a socket) the spring itself did ping off a couple of times.

as mentioned above, first job before doing anything else is undoing the front sprocket if its a single nut job. easiest way is to sit on the bike in gear and with both brakes hard on, and get someone with a dirty great breaker bar and a decent socket to undo it.


I didn't even manage to get down to the front sprocket! The 17mm nut holding the casing on was tight enough, put a lot of weight on the wrench, heard a clunk and that was the end of the wrench! Thank god for owning more than one
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 40 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 1.47 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 88.4 Kb