Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Tax Question

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Bod
Traffic Copper



Joined: 18 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:54 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Tax Question Reply with quote

Hi all, I am having my bike MOT'd tomorrow, now the only thing I don't have is the V5, I have a copy of it though. Can I still get tax at the post office by filling out a form?
Cheers
Bod
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant



Joined: 09 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:56 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

u might get lucky, but i would imagine you would need the orriginals as they do look at the forms before they stamp your disc
____________________
Bikes owned :- 2001 nsr125, 1999 zx6r, 2006 yzf-r1, 2009 xmax 250, 2012 yzf-r1, 2015 MT-07
Current bike : - 2016 MT-10
Crying or Very sad BCF member pops. sadly missed Crying or Very sad 1945-2003
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robin
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:57 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, I'm in the same boat here so would like to know.

I do know that there is a £19 charge for a replacement V5, even if you have never had one from a previous owner (like me). Something to do with making it harder for the crooks to get duplicate V5s and use them for cloning/ringing stolen bikes I think.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sv_cath
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:57 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got the reminder letter from the DVLA?
You only need the V5 if you don't have that letter.

Does that help?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bod
Traffic Copper



Joined: 18 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:58 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you not fill in a form of some sort when you do not have a V5, I did this when I was transfering my reg plate from one car to another and did not have the V5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NickD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:02 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Bod is right, I'm not sure of the form code but on a number of occasions, when I've recently aquired the bike and not had the V5, they have given me a different form, taxed the bike, and had the V5 sent to me.
____________________
I was only doing what it said on my licence officer....
Tear along the dotted line!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sadie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:14 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The form you need is a V62 and it will cost you £19.
____________________
With experience comes age.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:16 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if there is a form to fill in at the post office there and then, but a V62 is the form to request a new V5 if it's been lost or stolen. Send your V62 and a cheque/postal order for around £19 to the DVLA and if the admin fairy likes you they'll send you a V5 back Wink
____________________
I'm immortal. Well, so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bod
Traffic Copper



Joined: 18 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:28 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The V5 is still with the former owner, but me being and impatient tw*t want to tax it tomorrow. So its not stolen or lost?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sadie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:33 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the V62 if the V5 was not given to you by the previous owner.
____________________
With experience comes age.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bod
Traffic Copper



Joined: 18 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:53 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will it still cost me £19 though?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sadie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:59 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, unfortunately.

It only won't cost you if you have the new keeper's supplement from the last V5, or if the last Registration Certificate was destroyed by an insurance company because the vehicle is categorised as "C" salvage.
____________________
With experience comes age.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bod
Traffic Copper



Joined: 18 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:29 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a new keepers bit for a different bike so I may just flash them that and may get through that way Very Happy if not it will probably be the blasted weekend before I can go on it (legally that is) Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

carvell
Scuttler



Joined: 05 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:27 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you have the new keepers bit for the new bike - that part is yours.

You won't get away with flashing any other V5/2 - as they take all the forms in and check them one by one.
____________________
Yamaha TDM 850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bod
Traffic Copper



Joined: 18 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:32 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was supposed to collect everything from the guy on saturday morning before he went away. He forgot about the meeting and left. So I do not have the V5, I'll try my best tomorrow, may get lucky, if not balls to it I'll pay the 19 pounds.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!



Joined: 05 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:22 - 01 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

bod wrote:
I was supposed to collect everything from the guy on saturday morning before he went away. He forgot about the meeting and left. So I do not have the V5, I'll try my best tomorrow, may get lucky, if not balls to it I'll pay the 19 pounds.


My dad's just had to do that, it meant that he couldn't tax his bike for six weeks. You would be better off waiting for the current registered owner to give you the V5 form, you should have taken the new keepers supplement with the bike, you can tax it off one of them.

Also be careful about trying to use another bikes V5/2 as the local post office takes the registration and make details of that.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tatters
Exxon Valdez



Joined: 05 Jan 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:27 - 01 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

l,ve accidently handed my old out of date insurnace papers over at the post office for a new tax disc with MOT/sorn paper, and they did,nt even check it Rolling Eyes
____________________
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:45 - 01 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not hard to make a document in Word which looks enough like insurance paperwork to get tax. Only did this when was waiting for insurance company to send through paperwork with the registration plate right and needed to get tax. Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bod
Traffic Copper



Joined: 18 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:27 - 01 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my MOT now so Ill print out a copy of the bikes V5 and take that in with me, and fill in the v62, hopefully they won't charge me, if they want to charge me then stuff it. I will wait till tomorrow for the V5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 40 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.56 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 97.84 Kb