Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Maxxis?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

R6 Wilson
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 31 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:33 - 01 Sep 2011    Post subject: Maxxis? Reply with quote

https://www.bitzforbikes.co.uk/Maxxis_180--55_ZR17_Supermaxx_M6029_%28rear_Radial%29.-ref-15886-9402-427.html

I know absolutely nothing about tyres

Should I buy these? And why?

Help is much appreciated Karma Karma Karma

If it helps I ride somewhat hard, rarely in the wet and rarely use motorways
____________________
♥ YZF-R6 '05 ♥
Time is money so I stay late
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Daimo
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 14 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:37 - 01 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience, and those I've known to use them.

Cheap, good in the dry, quite sticky.

Awful in the wet.

Good budget tyre though that offer lots of grip in the right conditions.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:38 - 01 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got them on my Hornet 600 now, did a 2700 mile tour round Europe, no issues, didn't square off at all. On the flip side of that, I have done 4 trackdays on them, and a go round Nurburgring, no issues.

Never had a slip out of them, front or rear in wet or dry. They last about 8000 miles I guess, but I'm not nice to my tyres. Wink

I really, really rate them!
____________________
Current bike - GSX-R1000 k8
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

R6 Wilson
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 31 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:41 - 01 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would there be any disadvantage compared to a £200 michelin for example?

Thanks for input Karma
____________________
♥ YZF-R6 '05 ♥
Time is money so I stay late
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:43 - 01 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't have thought so, I had £360 pair of Metzler Racetecs on my R1, round Brands Indy I cracked a 57 second lap.

With these on my Hornet I cracked a 59 second lap.

You choose! Thumbs Up
____________________
Current bike - GSX-R1000 k8
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:51 - 01 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used maxxis tyres for quite some time and have no complaints about them.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

R6 Wilson
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 31 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:03 - 01 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going off what I said, sport?

https://www.maxxis.co.uk/tyre-search-results/category/9/diameter/180/radius/55/rim/17
____________________
♥ YZF-R6 '05 ♥
Time is money so I stay late
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:46 - 01 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I have noticed with the maxxis touring is the really really flat profile.

Guy at work has them on his CBR and it is one of the flattest profiles I have seen, they look like they would go off the edge well before the bike is at a proper lean angle. On the other hand if you are normally cursed with enormous chicken strips it might boost your ego.

Also £93 for a maxxis touring tyre seems a bit steep. They used to be about £130 for a pair.


£95 is pirelli angel ST territory, a brilliant tyre.


In fact, looking around they go for £145 a pair - at that price I'd just stump up the extra £50 and get a set of pirelli angel STs (I'm using them atm and love them). £50 is not enough of a saving to warrant using the maxxis IMO.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIRELLI-ANGEL-ST-TYRE-PAIR-120-70-17-180-55-17-/260841242260?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3cbb597e94#ht_1261wt_905


Last edited by DrDonnyBrago on 17:51 - 01 Sep 2011; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

EXC-Rider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:50 - 01 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have these on my CRF (dirt tires) i think they are made well one of the nobberlys have ripped off yet unlike the other tires ive used
____________________
owned bikes: DR50, Thumpsta 110 , Honda CR85, Speedfight 100, Yamaha XT125X, Honda CRF450, Honda Hornet '07
current bikes: KTM EXC525 AKA the wheelie machine
A friend in need is a friend indeed but a friend with weed is better!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:55 - 01 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Maxxis tyres on the Bandit right now - been riding (and commuting) on them in all weathers all spring and summer, and I've not had any slippage.
"Sportmaxx" tyre on the back, and "Touring" on the front.

TBF the rear is squaring off down the middle, and is quite worn on the sides, so I'll be replacing the rear soon. I'd happily have another Maxxis, although I'm also looking at alternatives in the same price range
____________________
1st bike (Sept'06 - May'10) : 1991 GPZ500S / Current bike (since Nov 2009) : 2003 Suzuki Bandit 600N
Word of the day : DILLIGAF
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:03 - 01 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used the sports version for a short time. horrible feel, dull steering and tipping in understeer, pathetic in the wet/damp, dry grip acceptable.
In my opinion you get what you pay for and in the case of Maxxis its a cheapo compromised product. Just my thoughts.

OGR
____________________
2022 Tiger Sport 660 2019 Street Twin 2003 K3 gixxer 1000 1998 Srad 600 track hack
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:14 - 01 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bishbash II wrote:
I wouldn't have thought so, I had £360 pair of Metzler Racetecs on my R1, round Brands Indy I cracked a 57 second lap.


The guy that sold you those must be laughing all the way to the bank. Unless they've gone up £100 in a year.
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

0l0dom0l0
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:23 - 01 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

pay the extra £10 and get this instead Thumbs Up

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180-55-17-bridgestone-bt023-gsxr-r6-bandit-ect-/220724565747?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item33643596f3#ht_890wt_905
____________________
CBT Passed: 30/08/2009, Theory Passed: 31/08/2010, Mod 1 Passed: 6/9/2010, Mod 2 Passed: 13/09/2010. Restriction ended 13/09/2012.

Bikes: 2007 Derbi GPR 50, 1998 Yamaha Fazer 600 (written off), 2002 Yamaha Fazer 600, 1994 CBR 600F, 2003 Triumph Daytona 600, Kawasaki ZX6R J1.....Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 1998 Suzuki TL1000R and a Honda VFR 400 NC30.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:58 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big_Ham wrote:
Bishbash II wrote:
I wouldn't have thought so, I had £360 pair of Metzler Racetecs on my R1, round Brands Indy I cracked a 57 second lap.


The guy that sold you those must be laughing all the way to the bank. Unless they've gone up £100 in a year.


Yeah typo Embarassed I bought them for £80, but they retail higher when new.
____________________
Current bike - GSX-R1000 k8
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

R6 Wilson
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 31 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:31 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

0l0dom0l0 wrote:


Thanks alot, probably going to get these Thumbs Up Karma
____________________
♥ YZF-R6 '05 ♥
Time is money so I stay late
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:52 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got one on the rear of my Bandit. Sooperb in the dry, not bad in the wet but hit a white line in even the slightest damp and it just spins away.
Due for a new rear and it won't be one of these, not for winter.
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 31 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.86 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 92.33 Kb