Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Why Do.......

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Muscle Bike Rider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:31 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Why Do....... Reply with quote

Some car drivers get rattled when theres a bike behind them?...coming home and the car in front of me was all over the gaff, constantly looking through his mirrors, moving left then right? I was keeping a good distance, wasn't trying to overtake as we are in the city centre and I'll filter past at the lights anyway, he seemed really nervous and unsure, do they expect all bikers to rocket past at every given opportunity and none of us to ride sedately?...loll
____________________
Previously Known As A5tra_G
Old Bikes :2010 Kawasaki ER6 F & 2000 Honda VTR Firestorm
Current Bike : XJR1300
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:43 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Re: Why Do....... Reply with quote

A5tra_G wrote:
Some car drivers get rattled when theres a bike behind them?...coming home and the car in front of me was all over the gaff, constantly looking through his mirrors, moving left then right? I was keeping a good distance, wasn't trying to overtake as we are in the city centre and I'll filter past at the lights anyway, he seemed really nervous and unsure, do they expect all bikers to rocket past at every given opportunity and none of us to ride sedately?...loll


Are you sure you weren't riding too close?
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

0l0dom0l0
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:46 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get this problem a lot. Some people don't seem to do anything while others nearly kill themselves moving over. I've had people clip the kerb before now they've been so far over.

I don't ride aggressively, leave at least a 3 second gap between me and the car in front. My position is slightly to the right of the centre.

What makes me laugh though is when they move over in a blind bend expecting me to go past?

On the other hand though, I've had some right wankers of bikers whilst I've been driving my car. I had one guy on a ZX12 probably about 2 feet from my rear bumper. The guy was practically on the centre line he was so far right in the lane. All this in a residential area where there was nowhere for him to overtake!! Also when I moved over as he seemed so keen to pass me he didn't even bother!

That did make me check my mirrors all the time because the guy was a total nightmare. It was so dangerous.
____________________
CBT Passed: 30/08/2009, Theory Passed: 31/08/2010, Mod 1 Passed: 6/9/2010, Mod 2 Passed: 13/09/2010. Restriction ended 13/09/2012.

Bikes: 2007 Derbi GPR 50, 1998 Yamaha Fazer 600 (written off), 2002 Yamaha Fazer 600, 1994 CBR 600F, 2003 Triumph Daytona 600, Kawasaki ZX6R J1.....Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 1998 Suzuki TL1000R and a Honda VFR 400 NC30.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Muscle Bike Rider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:46 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup I was well back as he was being so erratic
____________________
Previously Known As A5tra_G
Old Bikes :2010 Kawasaki ER6 F & 2000 Honda VTR Firestorm
Current Bike : XJR1300
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sidewinder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:48 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Re: Why Do....... Reply with quote

A5tra_G wrote:
Some car drivers get rattled when theres a bike behind them?...coming home and the car in front of me was all over the gaff, constantly looking through his mirrors, moving left then right? I was keeping a good distance, wasn't trying to overtake as we are in the city centre and I'll filter past at the lights anyway, he seemed really nervous and unsure, do they expect all bikers to rocket past at every given opportunity and none of us to ride sedately?...loll


At least he saw you Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:29 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worse are the idiots who cannot cope with being behind a learner (me), and try absolutely anything to get in front, even when there's no point.

Had a hilarious one two days ago, kept trying to over/undertake without success Rolling Eyes , then we come to a junction with a right turn filter lane, lights go green he floors it to try and cut in front of me via the filter lane, there's this loud clattering from his engine and a HUGE cloud of white smoke pours out the back, RIP engine. Twisted Evil Pity no-one can see you laugh in a full face lid. Laughing

Was a new-ish BMW as well, bet it'll be expensive to fix. Wink
____________________
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa, hey-hey,
the men in white coats are coming to take me away.
Yamaha Vity -> YBR125 -> FZS600 Fazer -> FZ1-S Fazer
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ericck
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 21 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:35 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find car drivers make me go faster.
I am often happy to sit behind a car, not too close but find that they are always moving over to let me pass.

So I accelerate and go past them when I was happy to sit at their
speed and just cruise along.

I think it may have something to do with our light being on and also their are a few lunatics who always want to pass so this may get in the drivers mind Thinking
____________________
Current Bike: 2004 Suzuki Bandit 600S
Previous Bikes: Yamaha FS1E, Mobylette Moped Thingy, Suzuki GS125, Kawasaki Zephyr 550, Kawasaki Zephyr 750, Kawasaki ER500, Suzuki Bandit 600, Honda CBR600F, Triumph Street Triple 675, Suzuki V Strom 650, Suzuki Bandit 1200, Suzuki SV650N, Honda CB500F.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

HD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:35 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know exactly what you mean.

Even funnier/more embarrasing is when I'm going along in say a 40 and someone moves over for me to overtake. Now it'd be rude not to go past but cos I'm already sat at 40 and my bike only does like 55 the overtake isn't exactly jet speed to say the least Laughing

So embarrasing as they probs think its a 125 then when I trickle past them feel like a right twat haha!
____________________
Rusty '02 Vito Camper + CBR600F3
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Muscle Bike Rider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:44 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
Worse are the idiots who cannot cope with being behind a learner (me), and try absolutely anything to get in front, even when there's no point.

Had a hilarious one two days ago, kept trying to over/undertake without success Rolling Eyes , then we come to a junction with a right turn filter lane, lights go green he floors it to try and cut in front of me via the filter lane, there's this loud clattering from his engine and a HUGE cloud of white smoke pours out the back, RIP engine. Twisted Evil Pity no-one can see you laugh in a full face lid. Laughing

Was a new-ish BMW as well, bet it'll be expensive to fix. Wink


Would loved to have seen that, know what you mean about the L plates though, I remember when I was on them the amount of cars sitting on your rear end, attempted bully tactics and drivers getting the hump with you if you dared to overtake them or filtered passed them to the front of a queue, I do get more respect now I'm on a big bike and on the whole most drivers move over sensibly to let me past when filtering which I always thank, end of the day I just want to get to my destination as safely as possible the same as them, if they want to keep moving like we do they should learn to ride and join us. Rolling Eyes
____________________
Previously Known As A5tra_G
Old Bikes :2010 Kawasaki ER6 F & 2000 Honda VTR Firestorm
Current Bike : XJR1300
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

anthony_r6
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:38 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had that issue with the L Plates and cars trying to bully me on the road. It's probably happened more since I've passed. That being said, I have trouble pulling up along side cars in multi-lane traffic. I swear to god, If I check my blind spots while waiting at traffic lights, people seem to think I'm wanting to race. It's stupid, I always see cars shooting off the line. I don't even bother trying to get off fast, since I'm not filtering, or trying to race.
____________________
Ted : "Maybe he's agoraphobic."
Dougal : "Jack scared of fighting? I don't think so, Ted."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:58 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had any real problems when on the bike, tbh, but have been blinded in the car by bikes sat a second behind me with their headlamp directly in my rearview mirror.

Yeah, when on the bike, some people do move over when it's inappropriate to overtake but at least they've noticed I'm there!

I think, sometimes, that people who only ride bikes don't realise that some car drivers are all too aware how fragile bikes are and will attempt to avoid a coming together at all costs.
____________________
Greetings from Shitsville!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:16 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be that you lights were causing the driver problems.....

Bikes have quite high lights and given that most of us ride just outside the off side line of a car, that puts your headlight right into the mirror....

Even worse with the prats who seem to think main beam helps... Twisted Evil
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paulington
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:28 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing they can do that bugs me (and have often encountered) is as you approach the rear of the car, of course maintaining a two second gap they then dart over to the kerb and ride in the gutter and HALVE their speed to help you overtake!

I can't even fathom what is going on in their heads at this point and I'd sure love to know.

Sometimes I don't want to overtake but when you've got an idiot doing 15mph in a 30mph limit riding in the gutter because you are following on a bike it's a pain not to!

Very odd.
____________________
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."
Current Vehicles: '89 Kawasaki KDX200, '99 Yamaha XV535, '00 Honda ST1100 Pan-European, '08 Suzuki GSX-R1000, '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GS4 2.0 TDCi, '15 BMW 1 Series 116d Sport Turbo.
CBT: 27/08/08. Theory: 04/09/09. Module 1: 16/09/09. Module 2: 01/10/09.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:39 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulington wrote:
The only thing they can do that bugs me (and have often encountered) is as you approach the rear of the car, of course maintaining a two second gap they then dart over to the kerb and ride in the gutter and HALVE their speed to help you overtake!

I can't even fathom what is going on in their heads at this point and I'd sure love to know.

Sometimes I don't want to overtake but when you've got an idiot doing 15mph in a 30mph limit riding in the gutter because you are following on a bike it's a pain not to!

Very odd.


Probably a biker trying to let you know It's safe to pass, I do the same in my Landrover.
____________________
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa, hey-hey,
the men in white coats are coming to take me away.
Yamaha Vity -> YBR125 -> FZS600 Fazer -> FZ1-S Fazer
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sload
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:26 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Us cagers cant win either way can we Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 31 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.6 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 90.76 Kb