Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Another newbie

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Shall78
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 04 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:47 - 04 Sep 2011    Post subject: Another newbie Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm a bit late to biking, 32, passed my cbt yesterday, woke up a few weeks ago and just felt like doing it, my mate has been into bikes for years and I never saw the appeal. I went with no experience of being on a bike before and was not expecting to pass but thanks to a fantastic instructor I managed (think having a full driving licence helped on the roads with perception)

Bought a second hand CBF 125 and I have to say I am hooked, in the last 24 hours I keep popping around the country lanes, I have been up to 50mph once (felt like 100)

I am still getting used to the gear changes, people driving up my backside and stopping/starting. I intend to keep nipping out after work ( work in London and don't feel I can commute just yet) I want to go out for a long ride in Kent next weekend to try and perfect my skills and get my confidence up, any tips from the pro's and other newbies.

Thanks
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

FerretFing
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:51 - 04 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

andy_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:28 - 04 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome along!
A bit late to biking? Not as late as me Wink (44!)
Obviously I'm not in a position to hand out hints'n'tips yet as I'm still learning...apart from get out on it as much as you can! Smile
____________________
Aprilia Classic 125, GS500E, ER5-A1, ER5-C4, ER6 & an XJ6 project frame...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Muscle Bike Rider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:36 - 04 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 47 when I started riding again, age should be no barrier, just get out and practise, dont be scared of the London commute, just ride your own ride, keep your eyes peeled and you'll be fine. Maybe have a ride out with some of the members here to pick some pointers up, theres quite a few of us in London / Essex / Kent.

Enjoy.
____________________
Previously Known As A5tra_G
Old Bikes :2010 Kawasaki ER6 F & 2000 Honda VTR Firestorm
Current Bike : XJR1300
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sherwood Bambi
Nova Slayer



Joined: 22 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:37 - 04 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit late to biking ? I have got back into it this year after 30 year gap - I'm now 50 !

Best of luck !
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trikeschick
Traffic Copper



Joined: 14 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:42 - 04 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

32! Just a youngster lol. Welcome and here's to many miles of fun
____________________
"Light travels faster than the speed of sound, which is why some people appear bright until they speak"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:54 - 04 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, lots of us come to it late. Great to hear you're enjoying it.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:08 - 04 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

A272 is one of the good biking roads around the south east, gives you lots of twisties, changing road surfaces, spectacular scenery, excellent over taking opportunities... go and have a play and get that all important experience and stay rubber side down. Thumbs Up
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:48 - 04 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing more exciting than London commuting on a bike, I love it.
Go for it and make going to work a pleasurable experience.
____________________
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa, hey-hey,
the men in white coats are coming to take me away.
Yamaha Vity -> YBR125 -> FZS600 Fazer -> FZ1-S Fazer
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alex_B
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 15 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:50 - 05 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the Kent thing on Friday morning, really enjoyed it. I'll be looking for a bit of fun on the A272 clanger Thumbs Up

Shall78,
I'm in my forties mate Rolling Eyes but I just got a bike as well. CBT was week before last.

I think if the weather is none to shabby next weekend I'd do a rideout with you if you like?
I'm in SE London and love the Kent thing so I'd be up for it. I'm just as new to this as you so it's all good practice. Plus I'm a sad git and have no biker friends at all Laughing
____________________
My Lane Position is always AWESOME!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Shall78
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 04 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:16 - 06 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcomes, you all have made me feel young
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:25 - 06 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shall78 wrote:
Thanks for the welcomes, you all have made me feel young


You are young, I started biking in April and I'll be 46 on Friday Neutral
____________________
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa, hey-hey,
the men in white coats are coming to take me away.
Yamaha Vity -> YBR125 -> FZS600 Fazer -> FZ1-S Fazer
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

banditjohn
Nova Slayer



Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:36 - 08 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your never to old as long as you still get the grin when you get off Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SweenyT
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:43 - 08 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

32 is definitely not too old! I was still dithering about doing my test etc at 32 and didn't do mine till I hit 40.

As said before there's a few of us in London and the surrounding areas who'd be happy to ride out with you, weather (old bones Laughing ) and time permitting. If you're that nervous commuting in London then the best time is when the schools are off as the roads are much quieter so if you haven't done it by October Shocked try it in the half-term.

Clanger I don't think I've tried the A272 yet so I may just check that out soon.

Have fun and safe riding Thumbs Up
____________________
Current ride - 2005 Suzuki GSX-R600 K4 - 2x 2014 Honda NC750s long term courtesy bikes - 2003 Fazer FZ6 written off as idiot reversed into me - 2009 YBR125 - still have from new
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Angel Girl
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 12 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:26 - 08 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having only had my licence a week the only advice I'm in a position to give you is this:

Do what I'm doing, do lots of short journeys as often as possible. It's helping me to get used to the bike, the handling, and getting my hands and arse and back used to the riding position. I'll be doing this for a while before I attempt a longer trip, and hopefully it won't be too uncomfortable Smile
____________________
Rides Honda CB500S aka "The Orange Peril"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 33 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.9 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 85.44 Kb