Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Finally been let loose on the roads - a few questions

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Fifteen15
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:10 - 08 Sep 2011    Post subject: Finally been let loose on the roads - a few questions Reply with quote

After passing my tests a few weeks ago, I bought myself an SV650 K6. Anyway I have a few questions, basically I want to know what to do in the unfortunate event of a bike crash.

1. What do you do after a crash? I've heard some people like to play injured, even if they aren't, and get an ambulance down there, which will then be followed by the police. I'm guessing you want to get the contact details of any witnesses, and the contact details and insurance details of all involved?

2. I am covered with TPFT, if someone doesn't see me and drives into the back of me while I am stationary, I can't claim for any damage on my bike, but if they injure me, can I claim?

3. Obviously it's not advised to brake while going round corners, but is engine braking alright? The SV has some heavy engine braking, say I was going round a tight corner in the wet and I let go of the throttle to slow down a bit, could I lose traction?
____________________
"Pain is weakness leaving the body, and blood makes the grass grow faster...but I'll wear my gear anyway"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alex_B
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 15 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:01 - 08 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.
I personally wouldn't play it up if I had an accident but for sure get the details of all involved and any witnesses. Of course, if you are hurt then that is going to be difficult.
Trouble is, if (god forbid) someone pulls out on you at a junction and you avoid them but come off anyway, odds are you are paying for any damage to your bike.

2.
If you get rear ended you claim on their Insurance, not your own. TPFT is fine for this.

3.
If you gotta slow down on a wet bend then you gotta slow down, we all know it's better to get the braking done before you enter the corner but if you have overcooked it and rolling off the throttle is not enough then I would think mild engine braking is probably better than braking.
Fact is, if you're definitely going into that wall/hedge/vehicle and can't slow enough, can't lean that extra lil bit (confidence thing?)
Then your gonna be using your rear brake (as easy as poss) anyway... and praying Laughing but that can bring the bike in more anyway.

Don't forget, if you're in a really low gear that engine braking can be pretty vicious

I'm sure someone with vastly more knowledge than I is coming along soon Very Happy but check up and have a read about the 'vanishing point' on bends.
____________________
My Lane Position is always AWESOME!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:08 - 08 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ambulance and police should turn up... Im pretty sure an ambulance needs to attend a bike accident.
Get all witnesses details, the driver that hit you/you hit get his name, car reg, insurance company. The police will probably do this as well...but dont rely on them.

If someone hits you up the rear... you are fully covered, its a clear cut claim against their insurers, you'll get money for bike, gear and injuries.

Try to keep on the throttle lightly round corners...was always taught slow down BEFORE you turn. Im aware of the SV's immense engine braking Laughing So keep a bit of throttle to maintain the same speed round the corner Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:54 - 08 Sep 2011    Post subject: Re: Finally been let loose on the roads - a few questions Reply with quote

1. After a crash, you'll likely be in shock. You may be injured and not realise it. Unless it's very minor and you're absolutely sure that you're not injured, get checked out, get plod involved, try to secure the scene and you must, must get friendly witness details if at all possible.

2. If someone causes you any loss or injury, you can sue them. Them, not their insurers, although obviously you'll want to go after the deep pockets. You can do this yourself, or any firm of specialist motoring solicitors will be happy to handle your case, on a no-win-no-fee basis if you're clearly not at fault.

3. I'd lean further.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:40 - 08 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Priorities! PRIORITIES!

DONT CRASH!...... no problems!

Its the FIRST RULE!

"What Should I do in a Crash?"........ DONT!!!!!! It's NOT nice!

If you DO.... well shit happens. And doesn't matter what we suggest; IF you crash, even if its just a minor 'spill' at 5mph, you WILL be in SHOCK!

You cannot train for such an eventuality, INSTINCT takes over......

There's no prescriptions for every thing in biking; JUST suggestions, and using your wits..... apply common sense; and assess the situation; but FIRST THING.... is YOU.

"AM I HURT...."
And do NOT take 'No' for an answer from yourself.... you WILL lie!

I came off, in 1991, I think.... beutiful sunny day where I started down in Plymouth, riding back to Stafford, a good couple of hundred miles by A-Roads on 125 with L's! Came off just after dark, near Glaucester, where earlier in the day, summer showere had lifted road slime.... roads were fine and grippy all the way up, until I tipped into a corner, that exited under tunnel of trees, where shade and shelter had left the road damp..... one minute nice steady 60mph and next BANG and sliding on my arse towards a sign post!

I remember, probably five cars stopped, and at least two 'yuppies' with mobice phones had called for an ambulance....

Ambulance arrived on scene, as I was trying to pull the bike out of the hedge... "You Allright?"

"Yeah-Yeah! Worried about my bike!" Tugging at handlebars and back wheel...... "Ouch!"

"You hurt?!

"No, bludy brambles!" Tug Tug Yank.... stumble's backwards.....

"Let me have a look at you"

"No, No! I'm allright!"

"OK, then...... so can you just tell me..... WHO'S BLOOD is that trickling out the bottom of your trouser leg?"

And I have seen the same reaction, time, and time, and time again. Competition, even worse; blokes come off on the track, and are trying to jump back on thier bikes with broken legs or dislocated shoulders, and all manner of injuries.

You will NOT be thinking rationally, the adrenaline over ride will kick in, and instinct will take over.

BEST advice for crash situation.... DON'T DO ANYTHING..... unless its absolutely 'safe' and essential to do so.

Worry about YOU first, and don't believe the answers you give yourself.....

Give yourself time to calm down; assess the situation, and THEN deal with it, applying common sense.

YOU come first; so IF you are injured; call ambulance; if you dont THINK you are injured; "I'll see a Doctor Later"....... never presume you are OK, and DO NOT tell any-one you are!

It's not 'playing possum', to err on side of caution, and dont give any-one the line "Well he was perfectly FINE at the scene! Saying he was 'Fine' and running around picking up the broken bits of his motorbike, and trying to yank it out from under the truck! Did't look like he had a broken pelvis THEN!"

LEGALITIES:

1/ you need to swap insurance details with other involved parties.
2./ you are obliged to inform the police of 'incident'
3/ it's an offence to 'obstruct the queens highway'; you have responsibility 'within reason' to 'ensure' (does not mean YOU have to do it) any obstruction you have caused or are party to is cleared, to allow unimpeded progress of other traffic.
4/ You have duty of care to other road users to ensure other road users are warned any 'obstruction' or hazard; again YOU dont have to do it, but if able to check it is done.

Everything is scenario dependent; but taking arse ending; we presume reasonably built up area, as its a junction.

In all liklihood you'll be shoved forward, into another car. So we have three vehicle collision; with you as the filling in the middle.

In that situation, depending how hard you are hit, and its usually NOT that hard, you will go one of two ways, possibly three. You can be pitched out of the saddle, and over the front of the bike; or you will stay in the saddle, and the bike will, as it is lifted at the back, and shoved into lead vehicle,twist and go under lead vehicle at the front, and be lifted up onto bonnet of shunting vehicle.

You would, be unlikely to be pitched clear, and onto boot or roof of car infront, and most likely be twisted onto your side, in tangle of legs.

You get clear; and people rushing around; IF you can walk, find safe spot and JUST sit down, and take stock of the situation, let the world come to you.....

They will......

"Are you alright!"... just sluff them off..... "Give me a moment."
Assess injuries, and ask questions; DELIGATE where you can.

People go into shock just SEEING an accident; and giving them SOMETHING to do, is as often good for them as it is for you!

Ask Questions...

Who Are You?
Has any-one called police/ambulance?
Has any-one got a piece of paper and a pen?
Who was driving teh car that hit me?
Who was in the car I was shoved into?
Did you see what happened?

Get FACTS....

SOME ONE will have pen and paper.... or phone or something, write it down.

IF you are in state to do so...... cover your legal obligations; after taking care of any medical emergency... deal with PEOPLE third... and if you have enough WIT, get as MUCH info on the spot as you can; DONT give any-one anything they can use against you... THEN deal with the aftermath, in priority.

Clearing scene; sorting your bike from wreckage; getting you 'home', getting yourself checked over; THEN clear calm and with it frewsh in your mind, a few hours later, WRITE IT ALL DOWN, exactly as it happened...... and work from there.

BUT; priotity is to NOT get in accident in the first place; and like target fixation, 'fretting' about accidents is a self fullfilling prophesy... you WILL be more likely to have one..... no reason you should,m if you cover your own backside and look out for yourself to begin with.....

Shit happens; YOU come first; and dont believe you are OK, but same time, dont believe you HAVE to be badly hurt! But give yourself TIME to get that adrenaline and Shock out your system, and get your wits about you as best you can.

If you are in the back of a meat waggon; a lot of your obligations are taken away from you; BUT you have to rely on our generouse, un-pressed un-biased [irony!] police force to deal with getting details; and dealing with the scene on your behalf.... benefit is that its all THEIR responsibility from that point; downside is they might not do a great job....

That Glaucester trees incident; they noted that the AA had been called to recover the bike, and THAT was all they were bothered about; they left it there and it was NICKED before the AA got there!

And they aren't concerned with witnesses, or getting witness statements and stuff YOU might be concerned about for when the lawyers get involved over the insurance claims; they merely get the names and details of involved DRIVERS, and look for any CRIMINAL offences they might 'persue'.... were YOU drunk, were YOU speeding, did YOUR bike have bald tyres etc......

So it CAN be better if you are able to STAY on the scene and deal with the important stuff yourself..... BUT your health still comes first.

And its that initial Adrenaline-Shock-Panic you have to deal with.... once THAT is dealt with, you have rational state of mind to deal with the rest, even though you might be holding a torniquet against your groin!

But, mind set.... yes plan for worst, hope for the best..... but also, DO NOT dwell on desaster, or as sure as eggs you'll find it!
____________________
My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:48 - 08 Sep 2011    Post subject: Re: Finally been let loose on the roads - a few questions Reply with quote

ImNoSuperman wrote:
1. What do you do after a crash? I've heard some people like to play injured, even if they aren't, and get an ambulance down there, which will then be followed by the police. I'm guessing you want to get the contact details of any witnesses, and the contact details and insurance details of all involved?


Some advise it as at least then there is some kind of police record of what happened and some chance of an official record of witnesses. Which might be held against you if it was your fault.

ImNoSuperman wrote:
2. I am covered with TPFT, if someone doesn't see me and drives into the back of me while I am stationary, I can't claim for any damage on my bike, but if they injure me, can I claim?


If you have an accident with tpft then your insurance is irrelevant to any claim you make. It purely covers you for injury and damage to 3rd parties (plus the fire and theft bit), so any injuries to you or damage to your property are not covered by the policy. You will have to claim for your losses from the other party (whose liability will be covered by their insurer) if they are at fault.

ImNoSuperman wrote:
3. Obviously it's not advised to brake while going round corners, but is engine braking alright? The SV has some heavy engine braking, say I was going round a tight corner in the wet and I let go of the throttle to slow down a bit, could I lose traction?


You transfer weight onto the front wheel. Unless you really have to do otherwise you want to be accelerating around a corner (even if only very lightly to keep the transmission under a little load and just keep weight off the front wheel). Same really applies to a car.

If you lose the back wheel then you have a problem but have some chance of catching it. Lose the front wheel and you have pretty much no chance of catching it.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SweenyT
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:21 - 08 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

All what they said ^^ Smile

As Tef said no matter what you WILL be in shock no matter how minor the incident. I was hit in the rear whilst stationary at lights in the pouring rain. Luckily no one was in front of me and the bike was fine even though me and the bike toppled over. Damage to bike: number plate screw popped off and a slightly bent clutch lever - still rideable. Damage to me: initially none at scene however slight whiplash discovered the next day and bruising and aching from when I went down BUT after getting the bike home 20mins later SHOCK set in - uncontrollable shaking and feeling freezing cold. I didn't think I had been affected but I had been. I was lucky that I made it home before the shock hit. I went to the docs two days later and had injuries noted in records. No ambulance or police had been called as it was a minor 'incident' but details exchanged, witness details taken - was all worthless though as on checking with insurers van was not insured despite details given - UK company van - EU National driver and passenger..... Evil or Very Mad On reflection, the police should have been called as an absolute minimum. I would have called for an ambulance if my head had in any way touched the ground, I couldn't stand or at any sign of blood. Now I know better. I'd rather pay a fine for wasting time.

If that is the only 'incident' I ever have then I'll be happy.

Keep your wits about you and hopefully you will never need to find out what you need to do in the event of an 'incident' (I don't think I'll ever get used to that word Confused ).

Safe riding.
____________________
Current ride - 2005 Suzuki GSX-R600 K4 - 2x 2014 Honda NC750s long term courtesy bikes - 2003 Fazer FZ6 written off as idiot reversed into me - 2009 YBR125 - still have from new
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 31 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.53 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 68.3 Kb