Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Does a quiet budget helmet exist?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Fifteen15
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:33 - 22 Sep 2011    Post subject: Does a quiet budget helmet exist? Reply with quote

I'm looking at buying a new helmet. I have a budget of about £150 which rules out the top end Shoei's and Arai's. The main thing I'm bothered about is how quiet it is. I have a cheap £60 helmet atm, and although it's alright, it is extremely loud even with ear plugs.

From what I can gather, Shark do some cheapish, quiet helmets.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks.
____________________
"Pain is weakness leaving the body, and blood makes the grass grow faster...but I'll wear my gear anyway"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:38 - 22 Sep 2011    Post subject: Re: Does a quiet budget helmet exist? Reply with quote

ImNoSuperman wrote:
I'm looking at buying a new helmet. I have a budget of about £150 which rules out the top end Shoei's and Arai's. The main thing I'm bothered about is how quiet it is. I have a cheap £60 helmet atm, and although it's alright, it is extremely loud even with ear plugs.

From what I can gather, Shark do some cheapish, quiet helmets.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks.


Wait for the bike show. My Shoei was £160.
____________________
Triumph Daytona 675 track bike + girlfriend's Honda Hornet 600
Selling a hack/winter bike for less than a grand? PM me.
Banger rallies are ace
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fifteen15
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:39 - 22 Sep 2011    Post subject: Re: Does a quiet budget helmet exist? Reply with quote

Slacker24seven wrote:
ImNoSuperman wrote:
I'm looking at buying a new helmet. I have a budget of about £150 which rules out the top end Shoei's and Arai's. The main thing I'm bothered about is how quiet it is. I have a cheap £60 helmet atm, and although it's alright, it is extremely loud even with ear plugs.

From what I can gather, Shark do some cheapish, quiet helmets.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks.


Wait for the bike show. My Shoei was £160.


What is this bike show you speak of? (Sorry I'm a newbie to biking)
____________________
"Pain is weakness leaving the body, and blood makes the grass grow faster...but I'll wear my gear anyway"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:45 - 22 Sep 2011    Post subject: Re: Does a quiet budget helmet exist? Reply with quote

ImNoSuperman wrote:


What is this bike show you speak of? (Sorry I'm a newbie to biking)


https://www.motorcyclelive.co.uk/

Quite a good day out, especially if like me you can get trade tickets for free Twisted Evil
____________________
Triumph Daytona 675 track bike + girlfriend's Honda Hornet 600
Selling a hack/winter bike for less than a grand? PM me.
Banger rallies are ace
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:45 - 22 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven' found a quiet non-budget helmet. Ear plugs seem the most effective.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:36 - 22 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a google for "helmet skirt". I've tried the standard one (like shoving your head into a rubber kludge) and the "deluxe" one which is more like a curtain. They both do a reasonable job of cutting down on both wind noise and chill, and postpone the autumn ceremony of finding the neck roll.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:47 - 22 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigs23 wrote:
I haven' found a quiet non-budget helmet. Ear plugs seem the most effective.


This.

All helmets are rather loud, ear plugs are the best way to safe guard your hearing.

Schuberth helmets are meant to be the quietest.
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:53 - 22 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get a Caberg V2R unless you have earplugs. A fine helmet in all other respects.
My next helmet will be a Shuberth..if it feels right that is...not tried one on.
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mivster
Crazy Courier



Joined: 10 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:41 - 23 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

got a airoh rs triple nice and quiet and less than your budget and got a good sharp rating aswell
____________________
"I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:22 - 23 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you might find is its not the helmet, but more how the bike is affecting the air flow.
My helmet Nolan 103 has a fair bit of noise when sat in std position.
Stand up on the pegs, or crouch down under the screen and its wisper quiet.
So the problem is the screen creating turblence and it just being at the helmet gets caught in this.
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

banditjohn
Nova Slayer



Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:40 - 23 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Shark and I would'nt say it was that quiet, I went for a cheapy Nitro which I find to be better for the noise, But I think your find that each make has there own template so to speak and you just have to keep hunting until you get the right shape for your head.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:47 - 23 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
What you might find is its not the helmet, but more how the bike is affecting the air flow.
My helmet Nolan 103 has a fair bit of noise when sat in std position.
Stand up on the pegs, or crouch down under the screen and its wisper quiet.
So the problem is the screen creating turblence and it just being at the helmet gets caught in this.


This...

Same on my Bandit - get your head down near the tank and the noise just disappears.
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

c-m
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:39 - 23 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no such thing as a "quiet" helmet budget or otherwise - Every helmet out there will put you at risk of permanent hearing damage. You need to invest in some good ear protection.
____________________
Motorcycle headlight bulbs and HIDs
Blogging about my bike and trips
https://ridershandbook.com/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ruck bodgers
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 31 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:01 - 23 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

ear muffs and a hard hat WOOOOOOOOOOOOO
i dont know man my lids from a car boot sale SEVEN POUND hooray
on a lighter note i rode to asda last night to get some of that deer steak.
it was to exspensive bada bum bum ting
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:35 - 24 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Another vote for not yet having found a quiet lid. Last few lids I have had are Shoeis and while not as loud as they could be they are still noisy. Certainly loud enough to leave your ears ringing if you go for a decent ride at speed.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:45 - 29 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

stupidgit wrote:
ear muffs and a hard hat WOOOOOOOOOOOOO
i dont know man my lids from a car boot sale SEVEN POUND hooray
on a lighter note i rode to asda last night to get some of that deer steak.
it was to exspensive bada bum bum ting



I don't get it.




OP - get earplugs,


That is all.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 7 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 1.93 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 93.46 Kb