|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Doadman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Doadman Derestricted Danger
Joined: 01 Aug 2011 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| rtho782 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 rtho782 Nitrous Nuisance
Joined: 08 Jun 2011 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| c-m |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 c-m World Chat Champion
Joined: 12 May 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| jjdugen |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 jjdugen World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Jun 2011 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 09:04 - 29 Sep 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
VfR's are not as good as the hype, especially if you have to do even basic servicing.
CBR 600's good, but command a higher price than they actaully deserve.
Everyone wants an SV, then just as quickly want to sell them..... Flacid performance, budget suspension, easy to work on, expensive for what they are.
ZZR 600's.... what can I say. Get one in good condition and you have an unsung hero, very tough, very fast, very cheap, very well appointed. The money you save on purchase will go a very long way towards running costs. perfect for shorter, lighter riders.
Big thumbs up on the Triumphs, but you will need one that has been programmed properly. (Most dealers do more harm than good). Heavy and long, smooth as butter, sound like they are falling apart at tickover, very cheap to buy, run and insure. More suited to the bigger rider. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Doadman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Doadman Derestricted Danger
Joined: 01 Aug 2011 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 18:28 - 29 Sep 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Many thanks indeed for the replies so far. Classing by insurance group, here's what my research suggests so far:
CBR600; VFR800; Sprint ST955i
These all seem to be group 14 insurance, which REALLY is at the top of where I want to go. My old ZX-6R was group 14 and I loved it so I can't help thinking that if I seriously considered the CBR, I might as well just get another one of those but I won't because at my age (47) I want something aimed a bit more at the real world. The Sprint ST really interests me. It's at the top of the insurance I want but it seems well built, fast, comfortable and cheap to buy. Of this group, the Sprint is the only one I am still considering.
ZZR600
This is group 13 and at this moment, I can't help thinking that I'd be better off with the Sprint for all the difference it would cost.
GSXR650f
Group 12 so not at all bad but I'm struggling to get over the fact that it's just 'wrong' with the handle bars so high up. I think it would be better for me if it edged a bit closer to 'sport' and was a touch less 'allrounder'.
SV650S
I just can't ignore this bike. With a full fairing it looks fantastic, it's cheap to buy, dirt cheap to insure at just group 9 and cheap to run with a nice sporty feel to it. It's not got a lot of power but then it is light and nimble and I like the fact that it has low down torque. In the reral world I can imagine it would keep up with more powerful machines surprisingly well. It may be 'budget' but the reviews are fantastic and there's no escaping the fact that it's a lot of bike for the money.
For value I'd move towards the SV650 and it remains in contention but I do also like the ZZR. I was left thinking that I wished they did a fully faired SV1000 so that I could have the SV650 with the punch of the ZZR and a bit more sophistication to the suspension. The riding position may be a touch less sporty but in many ways that seems to describe the Sprint ST955i so despite the fact that I don't really like the looks of the Sprint (not aggressive enough - it reminds me of an early SV650), it is the Sprint that currently interests me most, followed by the SV650.
I've also thought more about what I really want out of a bike if that helps.
1) To do 100mph but not much bothered beyond that.
2) Good accelleration and overtaking speed.
3) A flexible engine so it's not constant gear changes.
4) Track day ability doesn't interest me at all.
5) Excellent and confidence inspiring handling with loads of grip.
6) Good ground clearance.
7) Economical in fuel and insurance.
8) Fairly cheap to buy.
9) Not bothered about carrying a passenger.
10) Unlikely to do very long runs or touring. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 15 years, 5 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|