Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Motocross Gloves for normal riding ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:36 - 27 Sep 2011    Post subject: Motocross Gloves for normal riding ? Reply with quote

Was thinking about putting into motocross however want to wear it for general use, so placed here...

I'm thinking of getting some motocross gloves for general use however.. is it actually safe to do this. I have seen an extremely gorgeous pair.

So safe for general use Question

https://www.mxsouth.com/oneal/oneal-racing-gloves-reactor-gloves-2011_3.jpg
The Details;

* Silicone fingertips
* Clarino palm
* Superior comfort
* Laser cut

Also this might sound stupid with these being motocross gloves do they have to be the same size as normal gloves or smaller I'm normally large in gloves Question
____________________
CB125>CG125>GN125>ER5>K100RS>R1100RS>K100RS
A2 completed 23/07/15 Ready for the Golden Crisp Packet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:38 - 27 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't use them exclusively for road use.

You'll shred your palms if you bin it at a meaningful speed. Your hands of course, but I've only ever used mine for going too and from green lanes or on the MTB.
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Moo.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:41 - 27 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its totally your choice, they will in no way offer as much protection as say leathers gloves with hard knuckles.. They're meant for motocross on mud and grass, probably wont handle being scrapped down the road.

However, i have a pair for summer, there's lots of feel in them because they are so light and thin.

Its all personal choice Wink All about compromises and risks.
____________________
A2 Passed 18/6/10
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:01 - 27 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies expected them replies to be honest although was hoping for the opposite. I have tried some motocross gloves before riding and felt more in touch with the bike, better reactions and that.

Shame that some company can't just make some actually decent looking gloves with more of an appeal whilst being safe that would entise more young riders to actually wear gloves. Remember back in june when I brought a bike magazine the top rated gloves (also best seller and most expensive) in there looked like they had been burnt.
____________________
CB125>CG125>GN125>ER5>K100RS>R1100RS>K100RS
A2 completed 23/07/15 Ready for the Golden Crisp Packet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

EXC-Rider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:07 - 27 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use my motocross gloves when im out for a run ride as they look good and feel much better , but they are designed for people to fall of the the dirt not concrete. i can say now they just by feeling my motocross gloves they it wont give me any protection.

but like i said they are great for just a joy ride not so much in commuting back to from work

oh and they dont keep your hands warm
____________________
owned bikes: DR50, Thumpsta 110 , Honda CR85, Speedfight 100, Yamaha XT125X, Honda CRF450, Honda Hornet '07
current bikes: KTM EXC525 AKA the wheelie machine
A friend in need is a friend indeed but a friend with weed is better!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sam_Y_93
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:07 - 27 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in need of a new pair of summer gloves, I can't stand anything remotely thick. I have a pair of A* SPX's at the moment but have started to wear through the palms.

I have seen the Furygan AFS 6's which I really like just can't find any where local to buy them

https://www.automotoracing.com/media/catalog/product/cache/3/image/3241f60ee9d54a75c71f2ee515b75707/g/a/gant-furygan-afs6-noir-blanc.jpg
____________________
Bikes Past: Yamaha Aerox (sold) Yamaha R125 (written off)
Bikes Current: Honda VFR 400 (awaiting restoration) Honda CB600f F-4
Theory passed July 21st Mod1 passed August 3rd Mod 2 passed 26th August
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fifteen15
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:10 - 27 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Really like those.
____________________
"Pain is weakness leaving the body, and blood makes the grass grow faster...but I'll wear my gear anyway"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:18 - 27 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam_Y_93 wrote:
I am in need of a new pair of summer gloves, I can't stand anything remotely thick. I have a pair of A* SPX's at the moment but have started to wear through the palms.

I have seen the Furygan AFS 6's which I really like just can't find any where local to buy them

https://www.automotoracing.com/media/catalog/product/cache/3/image/3241f60ee9d54a75c71f2ee515b75707/g/a/gant-furygan-afs6-noir-blanc.jpg


To be honest they are the typical biker gloves imo to me they look so dull I know its not all about the apperance but safety. However once safety has been met appearance needs to be worked on and that is where most companies have slipped off the mark.

P.s Them gloves remind me of my ordinary Weise Fusion
https://images.esellerpro.com/2189/I/354/78/lrgscaleWeise-Fusion-Motorcycle-Gloves-Blue-1.jpg
____________________
CB125>CG125>GN125>ER5>K100RS>R1100RS>K100RS
A2 completed 23/07/15 Ready for the Golden Crisp Packet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Moo.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:01 - 28 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like 3/4 gloves (like those above) Triumph do a few pairs for around £40, i have some and they are the comfiest gloves i own, hard knuckles, full leather and good for summer.

I have these ones

https://www.worldoftriumph.com/product.php/39680/mens_triumph_edmonton_motorcycle_gloves

even have waterproof ones

https://www.worldoftriumph.com/product.php/39679/mens_triumph_adventure_motorcycle_gloves

Or these Laughing pretty cheap

https://www.worldoftriumph.com/product.php/39594/mens_triumph_camo_motorcycle_gloves

https://www.worldoftriumph.com/product.php/39595/mens_triumph_newington_motorcycle_gloves

Sorry for the whoring of stuff.. Just thought it might help Very Happy
____________________
A2 Passed 18/6/10
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:55 - 28 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do go this way, you could consider adding a pair of knitted kevlar gloves as a liner.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:49 - 29 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
If you do go this way, you could consider adding a pair of knitted kevlar gloves as a liner.


Thanks for the idea roger, Would it be best buying a pair of knitted kevlar in my hand size then the motocross gloves in a size above so they fit. Or see if the motocross stretch over the kevlar Question
____________________
CB125>CG125>GN125>ER5>K100RS>R1100RS>K100RS
A2 completed 23/07/15 Ready for the Golden Crisp Packet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:58 - 29 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy your normal size, a knitted kevlar liner wont be designed to replace your glove, so your MX ones should slide over the top.

But its getting to that time of year now where you would want warmer buggers on.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:07 - 29 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
Just buy your normal size, a knitted kevlar liner wont be designed to replace your glove, so your MX ones should slide over the top.

But its getting to that time of year now where you would want warmer buggers on.


Thanks paddy I will put them on order, also the cold doesn't affect me that much. I don't really notice it but yeah i'm thinking for the summer anyway Thumbs Up
____________________
CB125>CG125>GN125>ER5>K100RS>R1100RS>K100RS
A2 completed 23/07/15 Ready for the Golden Crisp Packet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:23 - 29 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
Thanks paddy I will put them on order, also the cold doesn't affect me that much. I don't really notice it but yeah i'm thinking for the summer anyway Thumbs Up


Laughing Exactly what I said when I started riding.

Come December, my balls were frozen and it was like pissing ice cubes when I got home. I sweat in winter usually...a bike at 30/50/70mph is totally different, you will feel it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:32 - 29 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:

To be honest they are the typical biker gloves imo to me they look so dull I know its not all about the apperance but safety. However once safety has been met appearance needs to be worked on and that is where most companies have slipped off the mark.

There is a better solution to your problems.

https://www.fatbuddhastore.com/includes/resize.asp?fn=/files/images/hot_pink_angelus_paint_4oz.JPG&Wide=250

And yes, while I'd happily use motocross gloves to protect my hands and push bike speeds from most road abrasions, I suspect they'll do very little at motorbike speeds.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:57 - 29 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
TheSmiler wrote:
Thanks paddy I will put them on order, also the cold doesn't affect me that much. I don't really notice it but yeah i'm thinking for the summer anyway Thumbs Up


Laughing Exactly what I said when I started riding.

Come December, my balls were frozen and it was like pissing ice cubes when I got home. I sweat in winter usually...a bike at 30/50/70mph is totally different, you will feel it.


Hmm I will have to see as normally with secondary Raynaud's, I don't feel the heat in the summer and get amazing burns don't feel the cold in winter just turn blue.. My skin feels it but I don't guess just going have to see Razz

G wrote:
TheSmiler wrote:

To be honest they are the typical biker gloves imo to me they look so dull I know its not all about the apperance but safety. However once safety has been met appearance needs to be worked on and that is where most companies have slipped off the mark.

There is a better solution to your problems.

https://www.fatbuddhastore.com/includes/resize.asp?fn=/files/images/hot_pink_angelus_paint_4oz.JPG&Wide=250

And yes, while I'd happily use motocross gloves to protect my hands and push bike speeds from most road abrasions, I suspect they'll do very little at motorbike speeds.


Hmm never thought of that thanks G, I'll have a look for some information on how to use it, might go for a different color though if it turns out good I'll let everyone know.
____________________
CB125>CG125>GN125>ER5>K100RS>R1100RS>K100RS
A2 completed 23/07/15 Ready for the Golden Crisp Packet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:00 - 29 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:

Shame that some company can't just make some actually decent looking gloves with more of an appeal


Are the ones you posted supposed to be an example of this?

Some of us remember the 80s. I wasn't aware that they were 'cool' yet. Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:03 - 29 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klause did it some years ago to a jacket: https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=679046 .
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:10 - 29 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
TheSmiler wrote:

Shame that some company can't just make some actually decent looking gloves with more of an appeal


Are the ones you posted supposed to be an example of this?

Some of us remember the 80s. I wasn't aware that they were 'cool' yet. Laughing


Laughing Yes they are bendy I know it may sound strange considering the decade they come from, but neon colors as well as detailed patterns such a motocross clothing is extremely popular in normal clothes.

Just look at edhardy for example which are extremely popular... most companies are out of touch with the younger biker.

How many times have you heard youngsters say they aren't going to wear leathers or gloves because they want to look cool and not like power rangers or old men Wink
____________________
CB125>CG125>GN125>ER5>K100RS>R1100RS>K100RS
A2 completed 23/07/15 Ready for the Golden Crisp Packet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:13 - 29 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Klause did it some years ago to a jacket: https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=679046 .


Thanks G that will save me a lot of time with searching for information.
____________________
CB125>CG125>GN125>ER5>K100RS>R1100RS>K100RS
A2 completed 23/07/15 Ready for the Golden Crisp Packet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:14 - 29 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
Just look at edhardy for example which are extremely EXPENSIVE and look shit... most companies are out of touch with the younger biker.

How many times have you heard youngsters say they aren't going to wear leathers or gloves because they want to look cool and not like power rangers or old men Wink


Many times, because they are young naive pikey scum on 50's blatting down the bypass at a whopping 31mph. Wink

Black gloves will be fine... I dont mind wearing matching gear for the bike but the chances of me finding bright orange, blue, white, green and red in 1 jacket are slim to none. Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:29 - 29 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
TheSmiler wrote:
Just look at edhardy for example which are extremely EXPENSIVE and look shit... most companies are out of touch with the younger biker.

How many times have you heard youngsters say they aren't going to wear leathers or gloves because they want to look cool and not like power rangers or old men Wink


Many times, because they are young naive pikey scum on 50's blatting down the bypass at a whopping 31mph. Wink

Black gloves will be fine... I dont mind wearing matching gear for the bike but the chances of me finding bright orange, blue, white, green and red in 1 jacket are slim to none. Laughing


Maybe but that is what allot young people are more keen towards now and at the moment. Would you rather see a teen on a moped wearing t shirt, jeans and trainers.

Or wearing the punk looking version of leathers may be a bit out there color wise but with the protection.

I don't really mind about the gloves that much but would be nice to ride around in something that I actually loved instead of liked especially for when I do long rides.
____________________
CB125>CG125>GN125>ER5>K100RS>R1100RS>K100RS
A2 completed 23/07/15 Ready for the Golden Crisp Packet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:34 - 29 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

What young people like:
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-glC8KkcmTw0/TlvcCmI_0II/AAAAAAAAA38/H5RGmNxDsrg/s1600/Justin-Bieber-Love-Me1%255B1%255D.jpg

Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:36 - 29 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://files.sharenator.com/kill_it_with_fire_demotivational_poster_1235695993_RE_Mysterious_Creatures_Found_on_Earth-s580x419-232628.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:40 - 29 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

G nob cat on his day off has this reaction
https://s3-ak.buzzfed.com/static/imagebuzz/web02/2010/3/14/14/noooo-20752-1268591419-2.jpg

...

https://s3-ak.buzzfed.com/static/imagebuzz/web03/2010/4/23/18/noooo-6736-1272061751-4.jpg
____________________
CB125>CG125>GN125>ER5>K100RS>R1100RS>K100RS
A2 completed 23/07/15 Ready for the Golden Crisp Packet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 9 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.3 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 139.18 Kb