Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


97 Bandit 600

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

crocodilukdf
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:03 - 03 Nov 2011    Post subject: 97 Bandit 600 Reply with quote

Hi guys, I've just bought the bike.... and being to excited, i didn't see that it has almost no oil in... so my question is, what oil do you use and is among the best and where can I buy it from? And a silly question, but I don;t know that much about engines... what can happen if I ride it like this for 20miles to a service where they will take care of it? Will the engine suffer too much or I should buy the oil first? I need some answers fast, because I have booked a spot on friday for my bike to get checked.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:07 - 03 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

morrisons/tesco own semi synthetic oil will be fine.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:34 - 03 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the bike on perfectly level ground and on the centre stand when you check the levels? I only ask because mine shows empty on the side stand and very low on a slight incline one the centre stand Thumbs Up

As said though 10w/40 tesco oil is fine.
____________________
3 Honda NC50's(Sold)-->'72 Puch Maxi S (Sold, want it back!)--> '90 Yamaha RXS 100 (Stolen)--> '87 Honda Cub 90(Sold) --> '95 Kawasaki Eliminator (Sold) --> '98 Bandit 600 (Sold) -->'07 SV650S (Current)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:51 - 03 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm slightly concerned that the oil level would be that low on a bike you have just bought, and presumably ridden for 200 miles or less. Even the silliest of sellers would make sure that the oil level is correct for a bike they are selling, which would point at the bike leaking or burning oil.

Top it up to the correct level, making sure that the bike is on level ground, then keep an eye on the oil level to make sure that it isn't dropping.

To my knowledge those engines aren't known for burning oil, and are tough, so a more likely cause would be a leak, most likely from the sump plug if someone didn't replace the crush washer.

Good bike to learn a bit of spannering on, seeing as you mentioned taking it to a garage. Simple bike, accessible, cheap parts, and you can get a Haynes manual. Someone that lives nearby will probably be happy to walk you through a service. Far cheaper than going to a garage, and you can find out which bits need particular attention from browsing this forum. From memory, the important bit to check is the welds around the headstock, which have been known to crack following crash damage. Not a nice thing to find, but an even less nice thing to find out about while you're sliding down the road.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

crocodilukdf
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:16 - 03 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already bought a Haynes manual, but .... i'm still taking it to a garage because when I take my hands off the handlebars it pulls slighty to the left. And I want them to check it for the first time just to make sure its safe to ride. And the oil level, when the bike is leveled... I can barely see the oil, I have to lean in opposite to the sidestand just to see the oil. I will take a better look today, but I don't think its leaking oil, because I should see some marks in the driveway where it sits. I know I didn't checked it when I bought it..... i was a sucker and got fooled buying my first bike Sad Now I have to do some work to it.....
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:19 - 03 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

It is an old engine design and the oil original specified would be a very obsolete grade. A basic 4 stroke engine oil of the right viscosity will be fine.

As to the low oil level, how low? The only warning light you have is the oil pressure warning light, and the job of that is pretty much to just tell you that you have already wrecked your engine. Do not even contemplate riding the bike with the oil warning light illuminated.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 339 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.68 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 48.32 Kb