Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Have to make a fairing screen

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:09 - 03 Nov 2011    Post subject: Have to make a fairing screen Reply with quote

Due to the bike falling over and cracking the perspex screen I need to source a new one.

This is a winter hack Kawasaki GT550 with a massive aftermarket fairing that's non standard. Will try for pictures if I can.

Anyhow, old screen is shaped and 600m wide, about 460mm high and 4mm thick.

So asking where I can source the perspex. Tried eBay and 600mm perspex is thin on the ground. Any other sources or any other materials?

Also any advice on how to cut/shape the stuff? I understand a hot air gun may be useful to help shape/bend it. Cutting I'm not sure about.

Any help and advice appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation, MAP
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

demon9374
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 01 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:07 - 04 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dremel/Hot knife to cut it?

Boiling hot water might help it soften up abit aswell.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dodgydog
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Sep 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:25 - 04 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wickes sell sheets of perspex. Easy to cut with their trimming knives, dunno about shaping but it's cheap enough to have a go with a hot air gun.



Dog
____________________
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not exactly what I meant
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:36 - 04 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, looks like you might have to go to 1000mm x 500mm x 4mm which gets pricey. Try searching for variant like 100cm and 1m.

Cutting, I use a hacksaw. I tried a jigsaw but it melted the edges of the perspex. You could try a knife, but even 4mm is pretty thick.

Shaping, I use a paint stripping hot air gun. A powerful hair dryer might work - it's worth a try.

When bending, don't try to force it, just keep applying heat evenly over the area of the bend - don't put the heat source too close or keep it in one place or the perspex will bubble. When it becomes malleable, it's quite a distinct transition, and it can then be bent very easily. You'll want to hold it carefully in place until it's cooled down again or it will tend to relax back towards flat.

Just be patient and you'll get it done, I find it quite therapeutic.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:52 - 04 Nov 2011    Post subject: Re: Have to make a fairing screen Reply with quote

I cut my 6mm lexan (apparantly bullet proof and that thickness - perhaps a little more than I needed!) with a jigsaw on a slow settings I think.

I didn't do shaping, but did consider it. I was going to use two strips of metal raised above and a blow torch to heat the line I wanted to bend.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 344 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 1.07 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 44.82 Kb