Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


SLIDSY!!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

shereen
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:47 - 08 Nov 2011    Post subject: SLIDSY!! Reply with quote

Had my first off today. Coming home from work and a lorry pulled out on me Shocked eeeek. I decided there was no way I was going to stop in time so I ditched the bike and we went tarmac surfing Thumbs Up

Could have been a hell of lot worse and I got off lightly with a bashed up knee and some pain in my shoulder.

Required BCF paint picture

https://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae74/Clearancelines/Untitled-3.png

After he pulled back into the industrial centre and after I picked myself up off the deck with help from a car that stopped I went and had a 'chat' with Mr Lorry driver. After I had finished reciting all of the swear words I know, he said to me, 'sorry love I didnt see you' cue some more swear words Laughing


Damage to bike, exhaust, mirror, brake resevoir, clocks all expected damage from sliding, also my renthals are bent Crying or Very sad

My friend rode the bike back for me and he said the steering was all over the place.

I expect it to written off although it just looks fairly cosmetic to look at the bike. Pics tomorrow (of bike, not me being a porn star Wink )
____________________
"The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Conon
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 05 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:51 - 08 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you got his registration number and company details. Even though you didnt hit the truck, you can still claim his insurance. Good to hear you're not hurt.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

andy_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:53 - 08 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you're going to claim from his insurance?
Were the police involved?
Driving without due care and attention for a start I would have thought (him, not you!!!)
Glad you're okay though (apart from the knee & shoulder!)
____________________
Aprilia Classic 125, GS500E, ER5-A1, ER5-C4, ER6 & an XJ6 project frame...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

shereen
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:58 - 08 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy_uk wrote:
Assuming you're going to claim from his insurance?
Were the police involved?
Driving without due care and attention for a start I would have thought (him, not you!!!)
Glad you're okay though (apart from the knee & shoulder!)


Yes I am going to try and claim off him.
I phoned the plod and they attended and we both gave statements. Waitng for the copper to call me with referance number so I can contact my insurers.
____________________
"The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

phonesurgeon
Nova Slayer



Joined: 27 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:20 - 08 Nov 2011    Post subject: Re: SLIDSY!! Reply with quote

shereen wrote:
'sorry love I didnt see you'


2 endorsable offences in this statement... hoping you told plod?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

shereen
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:28 - 08 Nov 2011    Post subject: Re: SLIDSY!! Reply with quote

phonesurgeon wrote:
shereen wrote:
'sorry love I didnt see you'


2 endorsable offences in this statement... hoping you told plod?


Yes, I did. I can see the first offence, but what is the second one??
____________________
"The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

HD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:37 - 08 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought it would be fine as commercial people usually can't say what happened as they weren't there and don't want to get sued.

Also, straighten everything up before an investigator comes. Say that its rideable just needs new mirror, exhaust etc.

And did you get any details from the car, as a witness?
____________________
Rusty '02 Vito Camper + CBR600F3
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nai
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:38 - 08 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooof, what a crap way to have your first off. At least you lived, get well soon!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

shereen
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:42 - 08 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

HD wrote:

Also, straighten everything up before an investigator comes. Say that its rideable just needs new mirror, exhaust etc.


Should I do that? Surely I want it written off?

HD wrote:
And did you get any details from the car, as a witness?


No such luck. The car stopped after the accident when I was rolling around in the middle of the road. He didnt see anything.
____________________
"The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:44 - 08 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch! Poor you, poor bike. Hope you don't have too many aches and pains...GWS. Karma
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:48 - 08 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never understand the 'so I ditched the bike' argument - surely your brakes can stop you quicker than sliding along the tarmac? I can understand ditching it by accident by heavy braking and/or swerving but not on purpose.

Anyway, GWS and I hope the insurance isn't too much of an argument.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

shereen
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:57 - 08 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
I never understand the 'so I ditched the bike' argument - surely your brakes can stop you quicker than sliding along the tarmac? I can understand ditching it by accident by heavy braking and/or swerving but not on purpose.



There was no way I was going to stop in time so I had 2 options, headbutt the rear of the lorry or ditch the bike and hope for the best. Laughing

I think if I had headbutted the lorry I would have ended up worse off.
____________________
"The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

HD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:04 - 08 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can look at it two ways I guess.

Bike written off, get money for it but without a bike for a while and if you like your bike (as in sentimental or you're just attached) its a bit of a loss.

Or if they let you keep it, you get money to replace what's wrong, probably a bit extra as they expect you to buy genuine parts, and keep your beloved bike Razz
____________________
Rusty '02 Vito Camper + CBR600F3
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

shereen
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:10 - 08 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

HD wrote:
You can look at it two ways I guess.

Bike written off, get money for it but without a bike for a while and if you like your bike (as in sentimental or you're just attached) its a bit of a loss.

Or if they let you keep it, you get money to replace what's wrong, probably a bit extra as they expect you to buy genuine parts, and keep your beloved bike Razz


Ahh I should of pointed out that I wasnt on the NC30, just the work donkey ER500 that I aquired for £420.
____________________
"The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

HD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:19 - 08 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, definitely written off then Laughing
____________________
Rusty '02 Vito Camper + CBR600F3
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ajbsmirnoff
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Dec 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:36 - 08 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you're ok. Surely you'll be wanting some new trousers / gloves, or are they ok ?

If it was me, I'd at least be wanting the whiff of panic wee removing.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Manuel
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 27 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:41 - 08 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
I never understand the 'so I ditched the bike' argument - surely your brakes can stop you quicker than sliding along the tarmac? I can understand ditching it by accident by heavy braking and/or swerving but not on purpose.


This. my instructor told me if you are going to hit something use the brake to get rid of as much speed as possible then ditch, at least on a bike you know where you are going where as sliding down the tarmac you don't.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Vin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:05 - 08 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
'so I ditched the bike'
Is code for
Quote:
ditching it by accident by heavy braking and/or swerving

Wink
Quote:
Anyway, GWS and I hope the insurance isn't too much of an argument.

Agreed Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:09 - 08 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Vin"]
Joe wrote:
'so I ditched the bike'
Is code for
Quote:
ditching it by accident by heavy braking and/or swerving


This man speaks the truth.

Unless you're barrelling through a gravel trap at high speed towards a tyre wall the whole I laid it down arguement holds no water.
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:11 - 08 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ended up in the back of a car when I didn't ditch the GS500.
Used full braking, wet road...it stayed up Shocked but still visited the rear window Laughing

Given the choice of smashing into a car and breaking wrist or ditching and getting off lightly.. I know what one I would choose right now.

GWS Shereen, good job it wasn't the NC30
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

anthony_r6
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:03 - 08 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the insurance companies don't claim any issues for you. Not really a huge issue if it was a work horse, and as long as you're still standing, that's all that matters. As said, thankfully it wasn't the VFR! I hope your wounds hell soon and it doesn't mess with your confidence on the road!
____________________
Ted : "Maybe he's agoraphobic."
Dougal : "Jack scared of fighting? I don't think so, Ted."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

WULFSTAN
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:54 - 08 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

do people on here know whats its like to drive a lorry? u really cart see shit he really might not have seen you
____________________
Your backside is better enough for you to run again, if need be – bristle up the courage of the cornered rat, put on a bold front, and to hell with them. Bluff my boy – bluff, shift and lie for the sake of your neck and the honour of Old England
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

shereen
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:06 - 09 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
Ended up in the back of a car when I didn't ditch the GS500.
Used full braking, wet road...it stayed up Shocked but still visited the rear window Laughing

Given the choice of smashing into a car and breaking wrist or ditching and getting off lightly.. I know what one I would choose right now.


This.

I was braking hard but it didnt lock up, although I suspect I didnt have enough braking time to lock the wheels as the lorry literally pull right in front of me. I knew pretty much straight away I was heading into the back/side of him if I didnt chuck the bike.

I suppose everyone reacts and thinks different but I am fairly certain I would still be in a + e if I hadnt chosen to part company with the bike.

dannyp929 wrote:
u really cart see shit he really might not have seen you


Righto! Rolling Eyes

Would you care to explain?
____________________
"The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WannaBeDude
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:45 - 09 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannyp929 wrote:
do people on here know whats its like to drive a lorry? u really cart see shit he really might not have seen you



Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 333 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 1.34 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 131.49 Kb