|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Shaft |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Shaft World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Dec 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 02:01 - 12 Dec 2011 Post subject: Seat Covers, any stories? |
 |
|
Time for Big Zed to benefit from some winter fettling and high on the list is a seat refurb.
The previous owner sourced and fitted a new base, but put the old foam and cover back on, for some unknown reason, so the cover has a couple of splits and the duct tape isn't doing it anymore.
I can find replacement covers from various sources, ranging in price from £20-£40 and a couple of places can do new foams as well, but don't list prices.
Has anyone got any experience of buying and fitting covers, either testimonials or horror stories?
Any guidance would be much appreciated  ____________________ Things get better with age; I'm close to being magnificent........
20 RE Interceptor, 83 Z1100A3, 83 GS650 Katana
WooHoo, I'm a Man Point Millionaire! https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234035 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 02:06 - 12 Dec 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Old leather jacket from a charity shop. Try for one that doesn't have a seam down the middle of the back.
Remove the lining and push the point of the saddle up towards the collar area. Fix it down to the base with either staples or pop-rivetts and washers. Work round symetrically, pulling it over the seat and fixing it down until you're covered then cut off the excess.
For foam. Get a block of high density, closed cell foam from an upholsterers (closed cell doesn't soak up water like a sponge). Stick it to the base and cut to shape with an electric carving knife.
EDIT: A mate of mine once covered his Z650 saddle using an old tractor inner tube. Shoved the whole saddle in, stapled it to the base and cut off the excess. It was oddly confidence inspiring for riding pillion on because your arse didn't move at all. You could sit there quite happily with your hands on your knees. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Shaft |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Shaft World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Dec 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 02:18 - 12 Dec 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Nice idea, but if you'd ever seen me hacking up a Sunday roast, you'd know that me and electric carving knives don't go together ("One lump of beef or two, Vicar?"); this is also the reason why I buy my bread pre-sliced.
However, I have successfully fitted new foams and covers to car seats, so I'm looking for tales of pattern parts, who to buy from, or who to avoid. ____________________ Things get better with age; I'm close to being magnificent........
20 RE Interceptor, 83 Z1100A3, 83 GS650 Katana
WooHoo, I'm a Man Point Millionaire! https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234035 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Marmalade |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Marmalade World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Apr 2009 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 02:18 - 12 Dec 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
bought a cover for a pan euro via ebay.
Decent quality and fitted great.
Pull it round and staple it under the base.
Saved many pennies ____________________ Nobby the Bastard: How yo tell the difference between the actual japanese and her just screaming because she's had live fish stuck up her arse? [url=https://www.nicks-shop.co.uk/bcf-goodies-15-c.aspGet BCF stickers and things here[/url] Reflective helmet stickers - Legal requirement in france - Clicky |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Shaft |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Shaft World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Dec 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 02:24 - 12 Dec 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
This is more like it, any idea who you bought it from, Marmalade? ____________________ Things get better with age; I'm close to being magnificent........
20 RE Interceptor, 83 Z1100A3, 83 GS650 Katana
WooHoo, I'm a Man Point Millionaire! https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234035 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Marmalade |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Marmalade World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Apr 2009 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| elgard |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 elgard Scooby Slapper

Joined: 20 Sep 2007 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Shaft |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Shaft World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Dec 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 19:54 - 12 Dec 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks for the links chaps.
@Marmalade, unfortunately that chap doesn't do a cover for mine.
@elgard, not quite as straightforward as that, my seat base is steel, so no staples for me. I haven't looked closely, but there must be some kind of tight fitting clip arrangement, which I'm guessing will be mainly rotten by now.
If anyone has any other experiences, feel free to add  ____________________ Things get better with age; I'm close to being magnificent........
20 RE Interceptor, 83 Z1100A3, 83 GS650 Katana
WooHoo, I'm a Man Point Millionaire! https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234035 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Snodvan |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Snodvan Spanner Monkey

Joined: 22 Jul 2010 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:02 - 12 Dec 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
I picked my seat up from the recoverers today. I had a full foam replacement/ reshape (raising the seat height as I wanted as the seat is low on the BMW CS) and a recover in two-tone black with black piping. £150. I could have had any colours but wanted black.
Looks good and a quick "sit on" indicates it seems comfy. No ride yet as I only arrived back home at 5pm - and with the c*** weather predicted I will not ride for a bit yet. I will post up a pic in due course.
https://www.motorcycleseatworks.co.uk/home.html
Snodvan ____________________ 04 (UK Reg) BMW F650cs, but really 02 first Reg in Holland |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Vincent |
This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 Vincent Banned

Joined: 16 Oct 2006 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Vincent |
This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 Vincent Banned

Joined: 16 Oct 2006 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:18 - 12 Dec 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Serendipity |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Serendipity World Chat Champion

Joined: 07 Jun 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 23:29 - 12 Dec 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
When I re-covered the RXS100 seat in 2006 I found that the steel seat pan had little triangular teeth all around the edge. The idea being to stretch the seat fabric into place, hook it over the teeth and bend the teeth down to lock it in place.
I found a decent seat base on Fleabay and sprayed it top and bottom with Hammerite. I re-used the original foam and bought a cheap replacement cover from https://www.patternparts.net/ (was before I discovered Wemoto).
The cover came with a big “YAMAHA” in white across the back that would have been half covered by the seat trim so I removed it with some isopropyl alcohol and elbow grease. ____________________ 2007 CBF1000 & 2016 CBF1000F - Commuter heaven | 1994 CBR600FR - Awaiting defibrillation |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| yambabe |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 yambabe World Chat Champion

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 01:20 - 13 Dec 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
The twice (so far) I have had to have seats re-covered I decided against trying to DIY as I am totally ham-fisted.
I went to a small local upholsterer. For the first one (seat for my ZL400 Eliminator) the original foam and cover were both shot, so I basically took him the seat base and teh sad remains of the original so he could see what it had looked like. He provided new foam and a new cover that looked fine and charged me £40 for the lot.
The second time was the seat for my Zeph, it was in good order but I needed it cutting down to help lower the bike to assist with my shortarsery. This time he took off the original cover, cut and reshaped the foam then put the original cover back on to fit to the new foam shape, cost me £15.
Both times I had the seats back in under a week.
To give you an idea of the standard of his work, this was the 400 with the original seat:
https://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a229/Yambabe/ZL400002.jpg
and this is what it looked like after restoration:
https://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a229/Yambabe/Jul06075.jpg
similarly this was the seat on the zeph when I first got it:
https://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a229/Yambabe/IMAG0364.jpg
and this was after it was cut down:
https://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a229/Yambabe/10062007103.jpg
So basically my advice would be to have a look around locally and see if you can find an upholsterer with a few spare hours! ____________________ Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Snodvan |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Snodvan Spanner Monkey

Joined: 22 Jul 2010 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Shaft |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Shaft World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Dec 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:17 - 13 Dec 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
^^^ That's a nice looking job, but, at the risk of sounding a tightarse, the price tag caused me to have a sharp intake of breath.
I think what I'm going to do is risk 30 quid on a cover and have a go myself, if I fail, it's look out for a local upholsterer who is prepared to clear up the mess.
Look out for a show n tell thread soon and thanks for everyone's input  ____________________ Things get better with age; I'm close to being magnificent........
20 RE Interceptor, 83 Z1100A3, 83 GS650 Katana
WooHoo, I'm a Man Point Millionaire! https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234035 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Snodvan |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Snodvan Spanner Monkey

Joined: 22 Jul 2010 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Shaft |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Shaft World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Dec 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:43 - 13 Dec 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Ah, the old Xmas pressy ploy, anything is easy to justify when someone else is doing the coughing up
Fortunately, I don't have a comfort problem with mine, just a tatty cover, so I'm hoping the foam will go again, maybe with a new plastic membrane.
In other news, my painter at work has decided he wants to play with some custom paint, so guess who gets the free paint job
Poor bike won't know whats hit it! ____________________ Things get better with age; I'm close to being magnificent........
20 RE Interceptor, 83 Z1100A3, 83 GS650 Katana
WooHoo, I'm a Man Point Millionaire! https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234035 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Vincent |
This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 Vincent Banned

Joined: 16 Oct 2006 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:32 - 13 Dec 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Is that front wheel 17"?
Thanks, V. ____________________ Space Is Deep |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| yambabe |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 yambabe World Chat Champion

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:57 - 13 Dec 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hiya, no it was an 18". ____________________ Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Vincent |
This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 Vincent Banned

Joined: 16 Oct 2006 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ariel Badger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ariel Badger Super Spammer

Joined: 02 Dec 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Walloper |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Walloper Super Spammer

Joined: 24 Feb 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ichy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ichy World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Jul 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 11:30 - 14 Dec 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
If you do it yourself then a key point is to get the cover nice and warm beffore you start tugging it around, helps it stretch when fitting and stops it going baggy afterwards. It's easy if you just take your time. ____________________ https://www.metacafe.com/watch/1972097/how_to_behave_on_a_forum/ |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ichy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ichy World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Jul 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 11:43 - 14 Dec 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Sorry I had to copy one of my old posts, I have no idea how to link to an actual post, anyone?
| Marki wrote: | Seat next.
Go back a few post and you'll see that the original cover was cracked, ripped and generally unusable. Same posts will show that I found a cover that looked like a pretty good fit and me a couple of parts from my scrap pile.
https://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l41/marki_03/GS125/oldseat.jpg
For starters leave the replacement cover in a nice warm room for a as long as possible. Warm vinyl will stretch quite nicely making things easier for you. While the vinyl is warming strip the old cover off. The new cover will only look as good as what is underneath it so any tidying of the seat base or foam should be done now. There is nothing wrong with adding bits of foam, just use double sided tape or similar to hold it in place while you work on it.
Fortunately this wasn't too bad. Some water damage and a bit of cracking.
https://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l41/marki_03/GS125/eatstrip.jpg
Assemble the seat and put the cover on loosely. Ignore the sides for now and try matching up the beaded edge at the front with the seat edge.
When its where you want it to be bang your first staple in.
https://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l41/marki_03/GS125/firststaple.jpg
https://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l41/marki_03/GS125/seattop.jpg
Now flip the seat over and line up any design so that it runs symmetrically down the seat. Spend a bit of time doing this and the rest is easy.
https://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l41/marki_03/GS125/straightcheck.jpg
When your happy with the result stick a few more staples in the front to help take the load for the next bit.
Now the big secret to trimming a seat is to give it a good tug. Your, hopefully, working with heavy duty material so it can take it. If its warm enough it will give a little, helping you stretch it around the awkward bits. Work on a few inches at a time, pulling upwards (assuming the base is facing you), and slightly backwards at the same time. Keep switching from left to right to ensure any bagginess is taken out. Turn it over regularly to see how it looks. If it doesn't look like its forming around the foam then your not pulling hard enough. Keep the tension on when putting the staples in. If you get a particularly awkward piece then try warming it up with an hair dryer, it will help it stretch.
Eventually it should look something like this.
https://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l41/marki_03/GS125/fin3.jpg
Turning it over and you can see how many staples I've used. Don't skimp on them, they cost next to nothing and keep everything in place.
https://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l41/marki_03/GS125/fin2.jpg |
____________________ https://www.metacafe.com/watch/1972097/how_to_behave_on_a_forum/ |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 14 years, 295 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|