Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


So looking to expand my bike collection.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

itsdave
Crazy Courier



Joined: 17 Jan 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:33 - 14 Dec 2011    Post subject: So looking to expand my bike collection. Reply with quote

I currently own a lovely cbr and it is great does everything I wanted it to, however its a year after I got her and dont get me wrong I still want her around I just want a few bits on the side.

So I was looking at getting a dirt bike around 250+ and be able to carry me and luggage or passenger and do motorway speeds.

Now I dont have a massive budget but could you give me some ideas please.

Many thanks in advance.

ITS
____________________
Project cg125 current bike cbr600f sport white+ black watch out for me in central London.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:01 - 14 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a tt250r, (practically the same as a ttr250) and I wouldnt mind taking luggage on it or a pillion, but not both. I wouldnt really like doing motorways on it.

I think you should be thinking 400 or even 600 if you want to do that sort of thing.

If you intend to do more offroad, the 250 would be better. Once you get the knack of offroad, you can take bigger bikes offroad, but initially smaller is definitely better.
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:45 - 14 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

No true dirt bikes are happy on a motorway. Their single cylinder engines are geared for acceleration and they are gutless and vibrate like mad at 80mph. Off road tyres are also horrible at high speeds. Something more like an enduro is more of a multi-purpose bike as they tend to have a large capacity, more cylinders and more road suited tyres.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:15 - 14 Dec 2011    Post subject: Re: So looking to expand my bike collection. Reply with quote

Husky TE610, BMW G650 and KTM 690 - all decent enough dirt bikes and all will sit at 70 fine too. However, all over budget I suspect.

Are you planning to actually use it off road?

Providing you are happy at 70 on the motorway, the DR600 isn't too bad and is still not too heavy for off-road stuff. Heavy kicker, however.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

olionel
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:32 - 14 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

are there many road registered 250 enduros though (I actually don't know)? Maybe a DRZ400 might tidy you up nicely... there are also old honda XR's kicking about... one on biketrader for 1350.. tempting but it's 1989...
____________________
1989 CG125 - Childhood Sweetheart (she got kidnapped by baddies)
1998 ZXR400 - Teenage Love (lasted three years, then she turned lesbian and left me)
2001 XRV750 - Wife Material (still getting to know her but head over heels in love)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:44 - 14 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's plenty of road registered 250 enduros and trail bikes. However, they're going to struggle on motorways with a pillion, etc.

Incidentally, hit 108mph on the GPS with a pillion and luggage on my KTM690!.. But that was with my DIY fairing, which may or may not have made a difference.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

itsdave
Crazy Courier



Joined: 17 Jan 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:50 - 14 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the plan is to ride it off road and I have taken a 250 2up with luggage on motorways.

So I am happy at 70 but 250 was the minimum cc I was looking for.
I have done off roding before but about 10years ago.

So are all these the possible suggestions?
____________________
Project cg125 current bike cbr600f sport white+ black watch out for me in central London.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:55 - 14 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have done a 250 2 up on the motorway? I'm assuming the CB250 in your sig, different kettle of fish with upright off roaders, even when I took an XT660 on the motorway it was fairly uncomfortable at 70.

I'd be looking at a 400 minimum for motorway use, if at all! It's not a fantastic choice for motorways Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

itsdave
Crazy Courier



Joined: 17 Jan 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:59 - 14 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorways are something that will be something of a once in a blue moon sort of thing but I want to be able to do it if I have to.

And the CB250 was the bike and my god how I miss it. It only broke down twice and would not start if warm.
____________________
Project cg125 current bike cbr600f sport white+ black watch out for me in central London.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:05 - 14 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsdave wrote:
Motorways are something that will be something of a once in a blue moon sort of thing but I want to be able to do it if I have to..


I did 1 junction on the motorway and it was fairly painful if I'm honest.

Whats your price range?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

itsdave
Crazy Courier



Joined: 17 Jan 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:16 - 14 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not tooo sure yet as am mid promotion so waiting to see what I end up getting on the otherside of it.

One junction what was that on?
____________________
Project cg125 current bike cbr600f sport white+ black watch out for me in central London.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:40 - 14 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsdave wrote:
Not tooo sure yet as am mid promotion so waiting to see what I end up getting on the otherside of it.

One junction what was that on?


M20, 6a to 5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

...
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:29 - 14 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

After discussions with El-Davo here, he wants less of a dirt bike and more of an off road capable road bike.

KLR650 is what he's been fapping over lately.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

itsdave
Crazy Courier



Joined: 17 Jan 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:39 - 14 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or similar tom
____________________
Project cg125 current bike cbr600f sport white+ black watch out for me in central London.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:08 - 14 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manatee wrote:
After discussions with El-Davo here, he wants less of a dirt bike and more of an off road capable road bike.

KLR650 is what he's been fapping over lately.

If no off-road is concerned, fair enough.

But I wouldn't choose one for off-road personally - something like the DR600 or KLR600 doesn't lose a massive amount in engine flexibility, but does alot of weight, albeit losing the electric boot too.

But for road only stuff, certainly a DR650, KLR650 etc.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

itsdave
Crazy Courier



Joined: 17 Jan 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:54 - 15 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a bike on ebay for 500 might take a look at getting it.thank you for the suggestions.
____________________
Project cg125 current bike cbr600f sport white+ black watch out for me in central London.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 293 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.86 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 88.89 Kb