Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


ASUS Transformer Prime

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Rowey
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:55 - 15 Dec 2011    Post subject: ASUS Transformer Prime Reply with quote

I've been looking at getting a portable computer of some sorts for a little while now. My envy 15 is a bit too bulky with the power pack to lug around.

I work as an aircraft mechanic/technician and one of the guys I work with has been using his ipad to store all of his aircraft maintenance manuals, wiring diagrams and such. To me this functionality is brilliant. I have been using my phone to do the same, but the 4" screen just isn't sufficient for things like wiring diagrams.

So I've decided to take the plunge and get a tablet. At first the choice was clear. I was going to get a Samsung galaxy tab (probably the 10). However I read about the transformer and think the added functionality of the detachable keyboard will be perfect. It means I can do assignments in the office then detach the tablet for reference material on the aircraft.

So, anyone got the original transformer, getting the new 'Prime' or just general opinions on tablets?
____________________
ZX6R C6F.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:31 - 15 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry specifically about a detachable keyboard... the majority of tablets connect to a bluetooth keyboard.

Tablet hardware is on the whole unimportant, you don't need to play top trumps with performance specs - you need to actually use it for apps!

Based on that, you need to look at usability of the tablet and the apps and app stores (or other means of getting apps if you prefer) you're going to use. Based purely on ease of use and app quality / numbers then I'd go iPad. If you don't fancy the higher price and don't mind the really minorly less polished UI then just pick whichever android you can get the best deal on.

Personally I've been doing some work on the developer preview of windows 8 and I'm really looking forward to it. Problem is the current lack of apps (and official hardware).
____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:40 - 15 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got the Asus Transformer TF101 and I like it, its not just a keyboard its a docking station with usb ports and a large battery. Asus made this right, it it closes like a netbook so it protects the screen when you travel, a lot of other tablets including Acer iconia they clip into a keyboard that is it, they dont fold into a netbook, sounds minor but i really like netbook/tablet.

My son uses the tablet a lot and when im reading emails or browsing i tend to use it more as a netbook.

Im selling the TF101 and getting the Prime, i need to keep up to do as i use a lot of these as props for photography work. The only thing at present that lets it down is Android, am not an Apple user but like most i use windows everyday for work, Android is not there yet in functionality but its getting better.
____________________
Current: 2019 Yamaha T7 -> 2015 KTM Superduke R | 2000 Yamaha R1 Past -> 2009 KTM 990 SM -> 2005 kawasaki ZX10r -> 2000 Honda CBR 600 FY -> 2002 Honda XLV 125 Varadero
Bike Pics! -> My Photography Website
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mehty
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 25 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:43 - 15 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

After using an ipad 2, and most of the current android tablets - There's not much competition really unless budget's a problem.

If your in no rush for a new toy, the ipad 3 should be around in the first quarter of next year, so you could pick up a bargain...
____________________
2007 YBR 125 (sold), 2011 ER6-N (sold), LHD 1999 GSX750F (sold), ???Sad???
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

herulach
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:44 - 15 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPad is great for 'just works' functionality, but has some big let downs for me personally:
No SD expansion
No USB Host (memstick, camera, etc)
No HDMI

The mrs has an iPad2, and wouldn't have been happy with an android one, but I'll be grabbing a transformer prime as soon as they're available for a reasonable price.
____________________
YBR 125>FZS600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mehty
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 25 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:52 - 15 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are adapters around to have A USB for the ipad, and i would imagine HDMI+USB should be included in the new ipad. By the time the transformer comes down to reasonable, there will be a upgrade - especially with what ARM are doing with some of their chips
____________________
2007 YBR 125 (sold), 2011 ER6-N (sold), LHD 1999 GSX750F (sold), ???Sad???
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

oldpink
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:56 - 15 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the market for one as well
its between the Asus or the Acer atm, not quite made up my mind
as I'll use it mostly for travelling, ( I do 8hr bus runs to London)
the dock will be handy for extra battery life

also I need USB to connect to my other equipment and compatibility
not interested in the Ipad, maybe look at the blackberry playbook
as I already have a company blackberry
____________________
I have become comfortably numb

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mehty
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 25 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:01 - 16 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as it doesn't have ACER on it, You should be good.
Don't know LOADS about the tablet market as im a die hard desktop user, but if you can wait out until late feb/early march - the new kit should be coming out, so you should be able to get this gen cheaper/good deal on the new stuff.
____________________
2007 YBR 125 (sold), 2011 ER6-N (sold), LHD 1999 GSX750F (sold), ???Sad???
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:04 - 16 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldpink wrote:
I'm in the market for one as well
its between the Asus or the Acer atm, not quite made up my mind
as I'll use it mostly for travelling, ( I do 8hr bus runs to London)
the dock will be handy for extra battery life

also I need USB to connect to my other equipment and compatibility
not interested in the Ipad, maybe look at the blackberry playbook
as I already have a company blackberry


I was in chatting to our local pc shop and he has the Acer he said it was good apart from the keyboard as there is no weight to it, the tablet is heavier than the keyboard so its top heavy.

The playbook is really small, imo too small but it all depends on what you want to use it for.
____________________
Current: 2019 Yamaha T7 -> 2015 KTM Superduke R | 2000 Yamaha R1 Past -> 2009 KTM 990 SM -> 2005 kawasaki ZX10r -> 2000 Honda CBR 600 FY -> 2002 Honda XLV 125 Varadero
Bike Pics! -> My Photography Website
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

oldpink
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:40 - 16 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

pl3ppp wrote:
As long as it doesn't have ACER on it, You should be good.
Don't know LOADS about the tablet market as im a die hard desktop user, but if you can wait out until late feb/early march - the new kit should be coming out, so you should be able to get this gen cheaper/good deal on the new stuff.


I have 3 acer laptops ( well me, my wife & daughter) with zero problems
my travel mate is 2 years old and never an issue or problem with it
and its used every day
as well as travelling up & down to London every other week and constant use
and the battery is as good as new and still lasts at least 5 hrs playing movies from an external drive that draws power

I've no qualm's about buying another acer


dell on the other hand fall to bits after a while under moderate use
both my son's and daughters dells lasted under a year before having to be returned
my daughters lasted 3 months before it died

I've been buying hardware for company's for years and the most reliable laptop brands
have been Acer & toshiba's by far

Stevie GooGs wrote:


The playbook is really small, imo too small but it all depends on what you want to use it for.


its mostly for watching movies (hence the Asus) but also E mail's and other business related uses
and it will tie into my blackberry phone
____________________
I have become comfortably numb

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:47 - 16 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the lowdown on the TF101, inc the dock.

It won tablet of the year, cos its awesome.

The TF will do everything the IPad does and more.

ASUS are really good at releasing updates, fixing bugs and are currently getting Android 4 (ics) out the door.

The Dev Scene is huge, many custom Android roms.
Im currently running on my tab, and contributing towards, Prime Rom Clicky
We are hoping to push out the ICS version very soon.


As for the usefulness of it...
It is very handy to carry around. Not that heavy at all.
No need to shut it down/turn it off before you put it in your bag.
More than enough storage (i have the 16gb version)
Incredibly easy to set up and use
The dock adds, for me, atleast an extra 14hrs battery life.
Dock contains 2x USB ports and a slot for adding an extra sdcard.
Screen is awesome, very clear and very sharp.
Speakers.... bit on the tinny side but they are tiny.
Mini-HDMI out, supposed to be great but i have never used it

I take mine to work and use it either wifi or tether it to my phone.

TL:DR

Get one with the dock for cheap
OR
If you can find one and you can afford it grab a TF Prime with a dock.

The Dock is not just a gimmicky peripheral, well worth the extra expense.

hth
CaNsA




Addition:-

As for the acer iconia....
i wouldnt touch it with a barge pole.
Operating benchmarks, running stock roms, the TF101 whips its ass.

@oldpink
I have an Acer laptop, it is good. Never had any problems with it.
But it isnt a tablet. Not really a good comparison IMO.

As for the blackberry playbook,
Dont be so fucking stupid Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rowey
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:37 - 18 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the replys chaps. I was a little bit already decided on the Prime. I have been looking at the Samsung tablets and getting a keyboard for it. However as someone said the Prime is almost like an netbook, which was my first idea. The only problem with a net book (and I use them at work) is reading huge PDF books is a pain as you only get about a 1/3 of a page on the screen at one time. Hence the reason for a tablet that you can rotate to portrait view.
Also the prime has a very good screen on it which will make reading easier. So with the prime I get the best of both worlds, tablet and netbook.

I've got a HTC Incredible S and have used the Quick Office app on it. It's not nearly as functional as MS Office but that was always going to be the trade off with Android (and iOS for that matter). But the plan was to tap out what I need to at work, then transfer it to my laptop when I get home and do the formatting on Word.

TLDR: The Prime is perfect for me as it can be a netbook to tap out basic word documents and then detach to become a tablet, for reading books/manuals.

So the next question, and I have looked, when is the Prime out? All I can find is a vague "January".
____________________
ZX6R C6F.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:09 - 18 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rowey wrote:
However as someone said the Prime is almost like an netbook


As is the Asus Transformer TF101.

I wouldnt be forking out for the Asus Prime, i dont think the cost is justified.

HTH

CaNsA
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

oldpink
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:51 - 26 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rowey wrote:


So the next question, and I have looked, when is the Prime out? All I can find is a vague "January".


looks like its delayed till Q2 now from what I've read for the 64gb version
____________________
I have become comfortably numb

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rowey
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:46 - 27 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Asus' official page with links to Transformer Prime dealers

https://apps.asus.com/fb/WTB/UK/index.html

I read that the 64gb version isn't coming to the UK. The 32gb one is out on the 12th of January at most places. I may however wait until I can get it at the airport, minus tax or best case scenario put the feelers out for a fly along with work to America and pick one up out there for cheap.

I was a little annoyed when the 64gb wasn't coming to the UK. But now I'm thinking, will I need 64gb? The transformer will hold a lot of books, a few pictures and videos. My music will be on my phone. If I need more space, I can just get a 32gb micro sd card for £25 and double my storage.
____________________
ZX6R C6F.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 285 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.73 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 94.74 Kb