Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Rocket Science.....?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:09 - 23 Nov 2011    Post subject: Rocket Science.....? Reply with quote

Well sorta

Kerbal Space Program

https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/

Build your own staged rockets, try to get into orbit, the moon, land etc etc

Been pissing about with it, and it is quite funky.

Actually, mostly this.

https://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/320234_295131577172740_240760572609841_1151395_2008742967_n.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:33 - 24 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as a few people have checked this thread out, but i have no way of knowing if anybody has become an armchair astronaut.....

I have uploaded my full on, 5stage rocket.
Unrar the file, plonk the .craft in the kps/ships/ folder.

Do not hit the next stage until the SRBs have burnt out, use the SAS system from launch (hit T on ur keyboard)
As soon as you have used all the SRBs throttle up.
Speed will drop until you hit about 16,000 meters then it will start to increase.

If you want to change direction, needed to get into orbit, you will need to turn off the SAS, choose your direction using the W,A,S,D keys, then turn on SAS again.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:30 - 24 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a quick go.

An interesting little program.

Do you know if it works with a joystick?

Mark
____________________
Current bikes: Honda ST1100 Pan European. Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:32 - 24 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea mate. Its still in development, hence it being v0.12.

The forums have some decent crafts uploaded, and there is a shed load of extra parts to download too.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

L4Isoside
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:18 - 24 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downloading now, will try at some point Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:53 - 17 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI peeps....

KSP v0.13.0 Officially Released!! This update was focused on improving performance and fixing some long-standing issues, and as we've already announced earlier, it marks the end of the free demo period.

https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/download.php

Runs much better on my laptop now.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

L4Isoside
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:39 - 17 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks, will redownload!

Got to the moon orbit but kept fucking it up... lol
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:47 - 18 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, thanks for wasting my Sunday afternoon.

Second, am I missing something obvious? I can only get to 25000m before running out of fuel.

That is with 2x SRB's and 2x fuel tanks and 1 of each of the normal engines.

I tried to load yours but it won't let me. Do I have to do something, is there a level I need to pass to get more stuff?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

anthony_r6
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:32 - 18 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't get the damn thing to open. I get the zip but it says it's not recognised of corrupt. Tried downloading twice.
____________________
Ted : "Maybe he's agoraphobic."
Dougal : "Jack scared of fighting? I don't think so, Ted."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:38 - 18 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG. I have just discovered the mods section on the website. I am not going outside ever again now.

This is AWESOME
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:46 - 18 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, thanks for wasting my Sunday afternoon.

You're welcome. Very Happy

Second, am I missing something obvious? I can only get to 25000m before running out of fuel.

That is with 2x SRB's and 2x fuel tanks and 1 of each of the normal engines.

Stages lad, stages.
Launch with the SRBs, a couple of stages, then just use a Liquid thruster and throttle up (ctrl/left shift control thrust)



I tried to load yours but it won't let me. Do I have to do something, is there a level I need to pass to get more stuff?

Since the update, my beasty rocket wont work. Sad
When my new ram arrives, and ive upgraded my rig ill rebuild it and post the it here.


@AnPhonEh

You must be doing it wrong. Ive just downloaded it, and extracted using winrar with no probs.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

anthony_r6
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:04 - 18 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
@AnPhonEh

You must be doing it wrong. Ive just downloaded it, and extracted using winrar with no probs.


That's all I'm doing too, gives me this stupid message.

https://cdn.bikechatforums.com/files/winrar.jpg[/url]
____________________
Ted : "Maybe he's agoraphobic."
Dougal : "Jack scared of fighting? I don't think so, Ted."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:06 - 18 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have kind of got it now. I can get really far into space. I am crap at controlling it.

So long as I use the SAS and the other thing, the R and T keys, I can go in a straight line but still not got to the mun or anything.

I got a mod which has huge fuel tanks which is pimp, it is just so unstable.

I need to master control of it first then work out how to get to the mun.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:23 - 18 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use "t"
fuk the "r" thing off, ive never used it.

Once you get to about 15k high, throttle off, take "t" off, change direction, hit "t" then throttle up.

Very Happy

@AnPhonEh
I downloaded it using firefox + downthemall.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:01 - 18 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

my rockets are so unstable. Once I get out of atmosphere it spins unless I throttle back the bottom 20%.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:16 - 18 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the fins dude, not the small ones that no-one knows what will happen but the other ones that can tilt.

that + the "t" thing will see you right
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:16 - 18 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have successfully gone into space, dropped a stage (3 engines on that) and landed in the sea safely.

This was all using the standard stuff though.

Using mods is epicly difficult. Let alone land on the moon.

I have one engine which is huge, called the BFE. Uses a standard tank of fuel in half a second. Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

anthony_r6
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:38 - 18 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got it downloaded and running - stupidly difficult to get anything done. I've been quite high up a few times, but not into space I don't think. On top of that - Everytime I try to make something big enough to get me up there it just goes mental. I'm getting the hang of it though - love it!
____________________
Ted : "Maybe he's agoraphobic."
Dougal : "Jack scared of fighting? I don't think so, Ted."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:11 - 19 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnPhonEh wrote:
stupidly difficult to get anything done.


n00b
Bet you skipped the tut didnt ya!

Wink

Have a gander on youtube for some funny, and some informative vids.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

L4Isoside
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:00 - 19 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it hard initially, used the tutorial at beginning to get going and vid online to get me to orbit, after that just messed around.

Stages are good but I find going OTT can be a little counter productive (but fun).

Certainly a great game, especially for free, why are all free games the best ?!!?!?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:18 - 19 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the last alpha release that will be free.
Get your pre-order in fast before the price bumps up from $7
https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/kspstore/index.php?c=18&p=22

I put mine in last month.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

anthony_r6
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:15 - 19 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't go wrong for under a £5 - I'm enjoying it anyway. Managed to get into orbit. Is there a point you can get to where the gravity from earth doesn't drag you back down and you can float through space? Every time I get up high, my momentum dies and I get dragged back down.

And now I have to go to work too... sucks!

P.S. I watched the tutorial, but that was a chore.
____________________
Ted : "Maybe he's agoraphobic."
Dougal : "Jack scared of fighting? I don't think so, Ted."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:24 - 19 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnPhonEh wrote:
Can't go wrong for under a £5 - I'm enjoying it anyway. Managed to get into orbit. Is there a point you can get to where the gravity from earth doesn't drag you back down and you can float through space? Every time I get up high, my momentum dies and I get dragged back down.

And now I have to go to work too... sucks!

P.S. I watched the tutorial, but that was a chore.


Yes I was orbiting the sun at one point at warp speed x1000. Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 293 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.66 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 115.42 Kb