|
|
| Author |
Message |
| SPIKEYMIKEY |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 SPIKEYMIKEY Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 25 Dec 2011 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| WannaBeDude |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 WannaBeDude World Chat Champion
Joined: 05 Jul 2011 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 23:57 - 10 Jan 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Will Outer hebredees be ok for you ?
........................................................................... ____________________ Jogging on, destination living. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| temeluchus |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 temeluchus World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Oct 2008 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| WannaBeDude |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 WannaBeDude World Chat Champion
Joined: 05 Jul 2011 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chegg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chegg Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 29 Nov 2011 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Chris750 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Chris750 Brolly Dolly
Joined: 08 Oct 2009 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:33 - 13 Jan 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
I have a carbed GSXR 750.
I had carb problems a couple of months ago and fixed it myself with no previous mechanical experience.
( I have much more experience now but this was one of the first more involved jobs I did on the bike).
I didn't get it right first time and when I put them back on I had a vacuum leak and it didn't run properly.
I got there in the end and learnt a lot from doing it, although it was frustrating at the time ( I had the carbs off three times in total and it was a pain in the arse).
As the bike I am now using was off the road for nearly two years before I began riding it in november last year, it had the carbs issues initially (which turned out to be blocked idle jets), then quickly developed several more issues.
I muddled through myself and as a results learnt a vast amount about my bike. Armed with the knowledge I gained I now do a lot of preventative maintainance and regular servicing to keep my bike reliable and roadworthy. Saving a fortune long term.
If I would of just taken it to a garage and not bothered to learn, I would of now spent an obscene amount of money sorting all the issues I had.
Also I am now armed with the knowledge to fix most issues that my bike develops and this knowledge will transfer to most bikes I will ever own.
If you use common sense and take care you will be ok as long as your not mechanically inept.
I would only consider using a garage if I owned a new/expensive bike and it was a difficult job.
If you don't have many tools (I didn't even own a socket set at first), some of the money you save in garage labour charges will need to be spent obtaining any tools you require.
But very quickly you will build up a fairly comprehensive tool kit.
Some tips that would of probably saved me some grief if I had read them before my initial attempts:
Download a workshop manual for your bike. Read through the section describing the task your intend doing several times.
Make sure you understand fully what your doing and how the part you are fixing works.
Do not begin until you fully understand every stage of the process in the book (print out pages and make notes if you need to).
If you need further clarification you can often find Youtube videos of people doing what you want to do and often on the same bike.
Do not begin until you are sure you have all required tools and parts.
Only begin the work when you have enough time to spare (it always takes longer than you anticipate).
If you need the bikes for work in the week then begin Friday night, giving you the whole weekend - don't try to do it on a week night and just hope for the best.
Take photos of what things look like before you start and as you remove parts/take things apart.
As you remove nuts/bolts/fixings, devise a system so you know where everything goes (I can't emphasise this enough).
The more you do it, the more it will become second nature but the first time you work on your bike there will be a lot to remember.
You can for example draw each fairing panel on a piece of paper showing all screws and then tape the fixings to the paper as you remove them showing the correct location (this would of saved me hours as before I replaced all fairing screws/fixings, every screw was non standard and different where they should of been the same, it took ages to get each one in the correct place).
When I work on carbs I have a bag/tub labelled for each carb. So I know which part came from which carb, instead of having 4 of everything with no idea what goes with what.
You will have moments where you feel at a loss and lose hope in your ability to resolve the problem. Take a timeout and do some more research.
As long as you have taken sufficient care to document, you know that at the very worst you should be able to get the bike back into the state it was in before you started.
Invest in some screw extractors as you will always have stubborn and awkward screws that take ages to remove (float bowl screws for instance).
If possible replace awkward screws with new ones to help in future (change cross head carbs screws for stainless allen head ones for instance). Never reuse a screw you have slightly rounded during removal.
There are more things I haven't thought of but just be methodical, take care and give it a go.
It is very satisfying when you fix your own bike with your own hands. ____________________ Current Rides: GSXR-750 WS, GSXR-1000 K5, KTM EXC 300 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| SPIKEYMIKEY |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 SPIKEYMIKEY Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 25 Dec 2011 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| lukamon |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 lukamon World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 May 2007 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 04:18 - 15 Jan 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Point: bike mechanics who 'just cant figure out whats wrong' are, by definition, shit bike mechanics  ____________________ killa wrote: Im an ass man myself |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| wilz1234 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 wilz1234 Trackday Trickster

Joined: 14 Jul 2010 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 14 years, 267 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|