Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda Varadero 125, restricted and fragile?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

truslack
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 11 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonnyBrago wrote:

About double what the official mpg is. Achieved by a noob, including some pillion work and whilst doing max speed tests....
No.

I get 100mpg ish out of my dad's Varadero 125, with mainly A road work.

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 11 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Yeah they get good MPG but not that good (in fact the mpg isn't too great for a 4T 125 at 70-80ish).

They are good bikes for what they are I loved mine, compared to the YBR I had before it just felt like a bike I could go places on you know; take it touring in comfort , plenty of storage with topbox and underseat plus the fuel economy.

Only downside with mine was a Wire from the alt to the reg/rec melted and shorted out just a week before I sold it left me stranded in a town not far away luckily also began using a little oil and kicking blue smoke on start up (piston rings I reckon) this was at about 26k. (also previous owner had replaced the reg/rec a typical Honda fault apparently Rolling Eyes )

Personally the engine didn't ever feel 'great' not saying it wasn't mechanically fine by all means it was perfect I just never got the feeling of longevity from the engine always felt like it was getting thrashed to the limits with those two 62cc pistons flying up and down at 12,000 rpm to get 65 (depending on the incline ofc) as evoboy mentioned about the cam bearings it does seem like the little engines take a lot of hammer shifting 160ish kg of bike + rider around.

Still saying that if Alex B got 60,000 out of one then maybe with good maintenance and gentle throttle use they can last longer plus they do have good resale value only lost £100 on mine after a year of use.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:57 - 11 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, I've heard they do well on fuel, just not well enough that ragging it 2up can still make 120mpg.

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:39 - 11 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the day we bought it was the only day we were two up, we tested speeds that day too, i rode at 50-55mph to achieve that because there is no need to go any faster, in fact some trips out were at 30-35mph because my mates are on mopeds, although recently i have began just riding on my own there is an insane difference in fuel economy once you get away from 8,500 rpm. When i got 75 it was at about 11,500 on the long straight near deppers bridge, if anyone lives in the warwickshire area, you might know it. And fuel in warwickshire is really cheap compared to other places, still mostly about 1.28, was about 1.15 though last year on my moped.
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
Past:2003 Aprilia RS125, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550(FREE BIKE!)
I'm having more fun than a well-oiled midget.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 11 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

on an unrelated note, even since we bought it, i have noticed that when you twist the throttle there is about a 2 second lag between that and the engine doing something no matter what the temperature is. I have looked on the internets and no one else seems to have this i was just wondering what causes it and whether i should worry.
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:13 - 11 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fladdem wrote:
on an unrelated note, even since we bought it, i have noticed that when you twist the throttle there is about a 2 second lag between that and the engine doing something no matter what the temperature is. I have looked on the internets and no one else seems to have this i was just wondering what causes it and whether i should worry.

Even at high revs?

If it is low revs, could just be a flat spot in the rev range that means it makes bugger all power and takes a second or two to get into the lower end of the power band.

evoboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 11 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

evoboy wrote:

If the engine takes an age to rev up in neutral, dont worry, they are all like that. Laughing

...as said. Smile

APT Motorcycles

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 11 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex_B wrote:
Really, you never bought this yet?

If I saw one going for a song I'd snap it up.

The one I had, had 60,000K and I still made a small profit when I sold it.

In your position I would buy this, get it 'smart' and sell it on and spend the profit wisely.

A good one will fetch £1500+

It's not quite that simple.

The problem I have is, I've never been that excited about this bike, it's not really what I wanted; I'm also buying it from the business next door to mine and he's no mug, he knows there's a substantial profit in it, but my tactic is to tell him I'm not buying it for that, I actually want to use it, so I'd be stuck with it for at least 6 months, just to prove I wasn't trying to make some easy money.

However, since starting this thread we have decided to relocate, so, if everything goes to plan, we won't be next door in a couple of months, so I can flog it and get what I want, he'll be none the wiser.

Taught2BCauti...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:57 - 12 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Varadero 125 is 'Restricted' in at least 5 ways:

1. There is a rubber bung in the airbox to restrict the flow of air.
2. The air filter itself is too small - but can be DIY replaced with a larger K&N.
3. Carb models are jetted differently for the front and rear cylinder - Fuel Injection models have different pulse widths for the front and rear injector.
4. The exhaust downpipes have restricter sections fitted internally to reduce the exhaust flow.
5. Fuel Injection models have a catalytic converter that further restricts airflow.

1 & 2 can easily be sorted without taking the bike too far over the bhp limit for learner riders - if all 5 items are sorted, you will possibly get between 22 and 25 bhp. anything more than that would require some serious machining of the cylinder heads, new valves, camshaft, etc.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 12 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taught2BCautious wrote:
you will possibly get between 22 and 25 bhp

Lol.

No.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:39 - 12 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Informative and bullshit, that's an usual combination. Very Happy

Taught2BCauti...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 13 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

22 - 25 bhp can be achieved, but only on carb versions, once the jetting and airflow has been sorted. The factory setup has the rear cylinder running at about 75% full power.

18 - 20 bhp is probably more realistic for Injection models, as the injector pulse-width is controlled electronically, and there is no easy way of re-mapping the ecu. It is possible to tweak the signal from the Lambda Sensor, but this doesn't make much difference because the rear cylinder is still proportionally under-fuelled compared to the front.

Sounds crazy, I know - but just removing the intake bung in the airbox and modding the air filter makes a noticeable difference.

The front and rear exhaust headers are reduced to 22mm internally - apparently, Honda had to do these mods to reduce the output to 14.6 bhp for the learner market - it's not rocket science to remove them!

Jefr0
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 13 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these prefered over the Honda XR125 and Honda City Fly?

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:13 - 22 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't imagine anyone is remotely interested but, just in case, I thought I'd update.

The need for a hack has become slightly more urgent, so I accepted I wasn't going to find something that really interested me and approached the guy about the Dero with a firm offer; he buggered me about a bit, then decided he didn't want to sell, so it was back to the drawing board.

The same night he decided to blow me out, I found pretty much exactly what I'd been after, on a well known auction site and, a couple of phone calls later, it's mine; still a Honda, still a twin, but nothing like a Varadero and it should be with me next week.

Fingers crossed it's all I'm expecting and a show n tell will be forthcoming, in due course Very Happy

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 23 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

honda shadow? is it still a 125? if not it could be anything.n I don't suppose it's an old cb125t is it?

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 23 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll keep you in suspenders for a while, but not long, as it should be with me by the end of the week.

By way of a clue, having waved goodbye to my RD250, a bike I'd owned for 30 years, to help with jjdugen's project (see other thread in this section) I felt the need to relive my youth a little bit...........................

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:30 - 24 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, i don't know. Give us another clue, 2 stroke? 4 stroke?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:00 - 24 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taught2BCautious wrote:
22 - 25 bhp can be achieved, but only on carb versions, once the jetting and airflow has been sorted. The factory setup has the rear cylinder running at about 75% full power.

18 - 20 bhp is probably more realistic for Injection models, as the injector pulse-width is controlled electronically, and there is no easy way of re-mapping the ecu. It is possible to tweak the signal from the Lambda Sensor, but this doesn't make much difference because the rear cylinder is still proportionally under-fuelled compared to the front.

Another forum faggot.

25bhp is what...near the derestricted power of an RS125 Laughing

Good chuffing luck. Its got about 14-15hp at absolute maximum.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:52 - 25 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fladdem wrote:
Ahh, i don't know. Give us another clue, 2 stroke? 4 stroke?

You can take your suspenders off now..........

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=237774

dgo1212
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:58 - 25 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:

Another forum faggot.

25bhp is what...near the derestricted power of an RS125 Laughing

Good chuffing luck. Its got about 14-15hp at absolute maximum.

Although I agree with you on his power predictions In his defence he is actually quite handy with Varadero info, he has a very detailed HID lighting conversion guide on another forum with links to kits and adapter rings etc, used it for the links recently and shall probably use his wiring guide if I can't figure it out when I fit mine tomorrow (although I'll probably manage without the wiring guide).

Fuel consumptions are a little bit ott here, supposedly they do 65 per gallon, mine gets about 60mpg on a B road commute with no stopping.

As for restrictions in the exhaust, the rear one is actually the header and don't think anyone would be desperate enough to try and have it machined out, and removing the rubber "restrictor" from the airbox made no difference what so ever other than making it a little louder.

They're a cracking work hack and clean up really well but I certainly wouldn't waste my time trying to make it faster, it does it's job perfectly well the way it is

dcmilne
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:29 - 17 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgo1212 wrote:

Fuel consumptions are a little bit ott here, supposedly they do 65 per gallon, mine gets about 60mpg on a B road commute with no stopping.

I run mine on super unleaded, and get around 78-80. That said, the last trip I did I got 83 - mixture of A roads and B roads. Out of mechanical sympathy, I restrict myself to 9K rpm which is around 55mph.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:38 - 17 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but can you get 60% more power out of it by fitting a K&N filter. Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 286 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2