Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Does anyone buy new 1000cc sportsbike new anymore ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

hornetmike
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:43 - 19 Jan 2012    Post subject: Does anyone buy new 1000cc sportsbike new anymore ? Reply with quote

The market seem to have changed to mostly adventure bikes and commuters.

We had the new s1000rr 2012 in today and it looks really good in the flesh, but sports bikes aren't what people are after at the moment.
____________________
87 Honda CG 125 - 97 ER5 - SR 50 -81 Z250- 96 CBR 600 F- 94 GPX600R 88- GPX 400R- 87 GS 125 - 2006 Honda CB600F- 2003 ER5 - Honda CBF 1000 2009 - Honda CBR 600 RR 2011
Current BMW R1200GS 2010
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord



Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:49 - 19 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do, were they not so prohibitively expensive.
____________________
'10 SV650SF, '83 GS650GT (it lives!), Questionable DIY dash project, 3D Printer project, Lasercutter project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

andys675
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:52 - 19 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 2p worth:-

no-one has £14k to spend

for a long time the average sports bike buyer has gone back to the dealer every 2-3 years to replace their bike, they would have to part with 2.5 to 3k to replace their bike and gone away happy

now they go back and the bikes have shot up in price due to the poor pound and strong yen, and the dealer says 5-6k to get the latest model and they can't afford it
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hornetmike
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:03 - 20 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think George Whites is proof of that
____________________
87 Honda CG 125 - 97 ER5 - SR 50 -81 Z250- 96 CBR 600 F- 94 GPX600R 88- GPX 400R- 87 GS 125 - 2006 Honda CB600F- 2003 ER5 - Honda CBF 1000 2009 - Honda CBR 600 RR 2011
Current BMW R1200GS 2010
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:07 - 20 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sports Bikes are not (though some will say different) every-day bikes or live-with bikes.
I think people want a bike to do more than a just Sunday Blast so will look at more versatile machines.
Sports Tourers or 'Adventure' bikes (Adventure is a shit name for bikes that probably do the same thing as most Un Adventure bikes).

I bought an new S1000RR new coz I wanted it. But I am very lucky to have more than one bike. One for Touring and one for Hooring.

I would not buy a Sportsbike as my only bike no matter what the PTW ratio is. I use a bike more than most so need my comfort. Smile

I'm well impressed with the performance of my sportsbike but it has many limitations for what I do on bikes.

Softie Shitty Weather Biker.
____________________
W-ireless A-rtificial L-ifeform L-imited to O-bservation P-eacekeeping and E-fficient R-epair
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheBikerStig
Crazy Courier



Joined: 15 Dec 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:58 - 21 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
I would do, were they not so prohibitively expensive.


Tourers are more so. Lets take the more extreme examples: Hayabusa vs Goldwing? Also the FJR1300 is something like £15000 these days vs an hayabusas £11000.

I do see more sporty bikes at bike stops than other kinds.
____________________
I am usually naked when posting to this forum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pits
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:50 - 21 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the 600-750cc sports bike market, I don't really see the point in needing a 1000cc bike, I took an 2000 R6 out the other day, and it was more than enough for the road, couple that in with the price of a 1000cc bike they seem kinda pointless.
A new R1 is £13k OTR
A new R6 is £9.5k OTR
The 2000 R6 I took out was fast enough for the road, and the new R6 is what, old R1 power? Just no need for it imho, and from what I am led to believe a decent rider on both bikes the R1 will struggle to lose the 6, just seems pointless when there are so many other cheaper alternatives which would deliver similar performance
R6
GSXR600/750
Triumph 675
MV Agusta 675 (same price as R6 pretty much)
ZX7r
Ducati 848 EVO

All capable bikes, which would easily play and keep up with their 1000cc equivalents, excluding straight line speed.
What's the point in spending more money than you have to?

Just my opinion really
____________________
Stinkwheel: You have no right to free speech
00:32:08 Blau Zedong: yes, i am a massive CB400 fan and collector
00:33:00 Blau Zedong: the CB400 is my favourite road bike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Babba This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

hmmmnz
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:18 - 21 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

id never buy a new bike, even if i had the money to throw away,
id never buy a sports bike unless it had been crashed already and i was going to fighter it,
i see no point at all in buying a 1000cc sports bike,
fairings are gay and sports bikes are uncomfortable,
i'll stick to my muscle/nakeds thank you
____________________
the humans are dead
I kick arse for the lord
Wiring Diagrams BIDNIP it bitches
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 31 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:09 - 21 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the price ONE of those tart bikes goes for i could build 5 brilliant rats Very Happy
a road bike
a crosser
an enduro
a full on survival bike
and .........i could finish my ratfighter Very Happy

i just dont understand people spending that much on a bike the S1000RR when 99.9% of bikers will never have the skills to use most of what that bike has to offer

so the only reason that i can think of is poseing :L

sorry would rather ride something where i know the ins and outs of the machine mostly due to it being mostly built/ rebuilt by me Smile
____________________
2014 Aprillia dorsoduro 750 factory.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rowey
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:18 - 21 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had the money I could quite happily fill a garage with bikes. All tailored to different conditions or moods. However In my opinion, my ninja 636 is more than enough for the rode. It can commute, albeit not as good as a tourer, and hoon as well as any 1000 sports. I've found that with 1000's, I'm never using the engine nearly as much as the 600's, where I can bounce along the limiter occasional and really use the gear box.

I find it just a lot easier to have my 600 sports bike and a cheap, small car (the tax and insurance is less than my bike and it has better MPG Confused ) for the times when riding is neither practical or safe.
____________________
ZX6R C6F.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c-m
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:25 - 21 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Babba wrote:
The actual sales figures if anyone's interested :

https://www.mcia.co.uk/Press-and-Statistics/NewReg_Statistics.aspx


Well around 7,000 a month in summer are buying scooters/bikes, and 2-3000 in winter, so there's still plenty of market.

The manufacturers make too many models, that are too similar.

I think smaller product portfolios with as much parts convergence as possible is the way to go for the mass market.

This is what we'll be seeing with Honda in the near future with their new 700cc bike.
____________________
Motorcycle headlight bulbs and HIDs
Blogging about my bike and trips
https://ridershandbook.com/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:35 - 21 Jan 2012    Post subject: Re: Does anyone buy new 1000cc sportsbike new anymore ? Reply with quote

If I had the cash to splash (and the desire), a new S1000RR would definitely be on the books as it offers something previous bikes don't.

Ok, it's been out a few years now, but I believe the electronics are a bit better this year.
It was another fireblade/r1 leap forward, rather than the usual iterative development.

If I did have the cash, certainly wouldn't be going near the R1 and probably not the GSXR either.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:37 - 21 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Babba wrote:
The actual sales figures if anyone's interested :

https://www.mcia.co.uk/Press-and-Statistics/NewReg_Statistics.aspx


Karma for that. It's a shame that MCIA only publish the headline figures for each category, we have to infer quite a bit.

But it basically goes scooters -> naked -> adventure sport -> supersport.

On the other hand, there were more litre+ bikes sold than 600s, and more than twice as many 651cc+ than 125-650cc, so the top end of the market isn't doing as badly as the entry level.

The S1000RR was actually the top selling 651-1000 bike in December. Unfortunately it only sold 38.

Now...

Notice anything significant about the top 10 manufacturers?

For most of the year, Suzuki were languishing in 6th or 7th place, fighting it out with the likes of Piaggo, SYM and Lexmoto. OK, the 125 class is the biggest seller by numbers and the Van Van has never done as well as the YBR and CBF. But Kawsaki don't even have a L friendly 125, and they were still whipping Suzuki. Shocked

When they ran their "£1 off per cc" offer in September, Suzuki shot up to #2. But since it expired in October, they haven't even appeared in the top 10. Pale

They're running a slightly watered down version of the offer again on some bikes until the end of April. It'll be very interesting to see what that does, and whether they can afford to either keep prices down, or put them back up afterwards, given how much they'll have de-valued their brand by then.

If they can't shift bikes at knock down prices, £1 down and up to 5 year's finance, then they might as well learn from the George White lesson and pack it in.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:04 - 21 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bread and butter for these Big Dealers are the exotica. The manufacturers are not helping either buy forcing these outfits to sell massive quotas, possibly into a saturated market or lose the franchise.
Too many dealers and too many manufacturers to be sustainable in recession (Let's not kid ourselves, we've been in recession since Margaret Thatcher became PM.)
Obviously George White over estimated the purchasing power of British Bikers. (or some cnut wiz at the Fiddle.)
I hope to Christ we don't end up like Africa, South America and Asia and only have the choice of cheeep shite instead of the state-of-art tech. we are accustomed to.

Even if the big Manufacturers Cow-Tow to market forces they can only do so by shaving massive chunks/chinks off the quality and ability of the stuff we will be buying.

If the Eurobrats don't stop biking then the Manufacturers will.

On a side note, does anyone know if any of the dealers, manufacturers or the 'biking industry' have any say on this European anti bike legislation?
It seems it's only the punters who are jumping app an dahn about it. I would like to see BMW, Ducati, Honda et al take part in a demo one day... Smile
____________________
W-ireless A-rtificial L-ifeform L-imited to O-bservation P-eacekeeping and E-fficient R-epair
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Villers
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:27 - 21 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the usual "cant use a 1000 on the road", "1000ccs are pointless" blah blah blah.

Perhaps a different view would be that people slog their guts out at work, day in day out, living a miserable existance whilst getting kicked in the bollocks at every point and therefore choose to spend what they want on whatever THEY want?

The views so far expressed (and Im just illustrating here, these arent my actual views) are seemingly a little short sighted when faced with the reality that we all like different things.

One gent stated he could build 5 ratbikes for the cost of a sportsbike. Fantastic, but whilst the guy loves ratbikes there are plenty of others who wouldnt be seen dead on something that looked like it had been in a shed.

Another stated his love of muscle bikes and went as far to say (perhaps tongue in cheek albeit) that fairngs were 'gay'. Again a very valid opinion, but one that would not be shared by others whom again would not like to ride a bike that had been previously crashed and then been rebuilt to someone elses taste.

As to the R6 vs R1, I would personally take the R1 all day long. Same goes for the GSXR6 v 1000, ZX6 vs Zx10R. The sole reason being because thats what I wan't, not what someone else thinks I want. I dont buy a bike hoping to be the fastest thing on two wheels, I buy bikes I like and excite me.

Anyway, at the moment Id have an RSV4 over pretty much anything else on the road, but I don't have that kind of cash laying about. I Certainly couldnt be spending £16k on a brand new bike, even if it was beatiful and amazing. On the other hand I wouldnt be paying £9k for the 600cc version either, absolutely stupid money.

In case anyone takes any offence at my above devils advocate, Id just like to say I share the same ideals as Rowey above. I would have a garage filled with every kind of bike, I love bikes, big ones, little ones, plastic ones or naked ones. I can only afford one and I have to make sure that the one I buy makes me happy!! Besides which the RSVR I have now is 1000cc but very little difference in power and performance to the 600ccs Ive previously had anyway.
____________________
RS125 > CBR6 > SV650S > ZX636R > GSX1300RZ Hayabusa > 06 RSVR Mille > SV1000S > Street Triple 765 RS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c-m
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:27 - 21 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:

I hope to Christ we don't end up like Africa, South America and Asia and only have the choice of cheeep shite instead of the state-of-art tech. we are accustomed to.


That won't happen as Piaggio (Apriia, Moto Guzzi), BMW, KTM, Triumph, Ducati are all European, so at least we'd have a choice of some great bikes still.
____________________
Motorcycle headlight bulbs and HIDs
Blogging about my bike and trips
https://ridershandbook.com/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:56 - 21 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
The manufacturers are not helping either buy forcing these outfits to sell massive quotas, possibly into a saturated market or lose the franchise.

I don't understand why dealers put up with that in the current climate. Suzuki are going to take your franchise away? Fine, let them, you make all your money (such as it is) from trading used bikes anyway. Who are they going to give it to? The Kwak dealer up the road? Do they dare take it, in case it loses them their Kwak franchise - you've already shown there's no local market for Suzukis. Either way, Suzuki makes even fewer sales in that area.


Walloper wrote:
Even if the big Manufacturers Cow-Tow to market forces they can only do so by shaving massive chunks/chinks off the quality and ability of the stuff we will be buying.

I think it's already happening. I was quite into the idea of an ER6, until I read about so many problems with them.

So now I'm thinking, sod it, why gamble on a bike that's clearly not worked through its issues yet. Just get an SV650, maybe it's not as modern, but it's in the same ballpark, they worked the problems out on it years ago, and the difference in purchase price buys a lot of tanks of Fun Juice.

And then I think, hang on, the SV650 effectively hasn't changed since 2003. The only difference between a 2012 bike and a 2003 one is age and miles. Is it really worth paying a big premium just so I can be the first bloke to rub my crotch on it? I'm thinking no.

So finally, I think, do I pay a dealer premium for a bike just to get a 3 month "warranty" (supplied for novelty purposes only), or find dozens of local examples on eBay or Gumtree? Since I've already decided to go for a bike that can be bought for a handfull of notes, why not just fill my pockets and go and look the owner in the eye?

I suspect I'm not alone in thinking that. With the exception of aforementioned "exotics", bikes don't seem to have got significantly better in the past decade. I'm just not seeing a compelling reason to buy new, especially at the budget end of the market.


Walloper wrote:
On a side note, does anyone know if any of the dealers, manufacturers or the 'biking industry' have any say on this European anti bike legislation?

There are several trade groups, e.g. MCIA and FEMA, who do occasionally make noises after the fact. I personally suspect they've suffered an "inverse regulatory capture", where they've chummed up so closely with El Federales that they're no longer effective at lobbying them.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:15 - 21 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had the most rudimentary look through that sales stats and I have to say I'm stunned at how WELL the sales of motorbikes have stood up during this year compared to last.

While it's obvious scooter sales are going to be good as they are cheap and easy to use as commuters, the big bikes have stood up remarkably well considering most are really used as toys and not everyday transport.

So unless I'm reading this totally wrong, things don't look quite so bleak as I thought they would


Then again, tell that to GW's
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:28 - 22 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I've just had the most rudimentary look through that sales stats and I have to say I'm stunned at how WELL the sales of motorbikes have stood up during this year compared to last.


They're still down though, and last year was an awful year, so 2011 will be awful with a turd cherry on top. The rate of decline is declining, but sales remain in the toilet.

The salient issue is that when your local bike shop goes cap in hand to their Corporate Banking twunt for another fifty grand to tide them over until business picks up, all he's going to know about bikes is that: 1) his mistress rides a Vespa and 2) George White, a 50 year old business, went under while shifting bikes at fire sale prices, so what chance does Honest John's Bikes have?
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike


Last edited by Rogerborg on 18:01 - 22 Jan 2012; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:04 - 22 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no profit in selling bikes. A £10K bike can give you all the after sales hassle a £20K car can give you and the mechanics who work on bikes need to eat too.
BMW charge £100/hr for car work so I don't think bikes can capture revenue like that.
We will still have main dealers but only in BIG Shittys like Lahndahn Manfester etc. Scotland???? We'll need to sook Snr. Salmond's Giblets for help with the bike industry or we'll end up having the best bloody bike roads in Britain but only the English, Dutch and Jermains riding around our bends...
We could negotiate that we'll leave Embra out of the Bikes in Bus Lanes debate in exchange for incentives for Bike Dealers.

See me... See if I was President???

Laughing
____________________
W-ireless A-rtificial L-ifeform L-imited to O-bservation P-eacekeeping and E-fficient R-epair
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:00 - 22 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sports bikes are generally toys for peoples entertainment rather than a day to day transport solution. The sales of more practical or versatile bikes have gone up in line with the increased cost of owning a car. Sports bike sales on the other hand will have dropped as people have less recreational money.
Though there is some argument for having a litre bike n the road, the truth is that no one is going to go any quicker or have any more fun on this years litre bike than they would have done on a 3 year old one, so why blow the extra cash? It's not like there is any shortage of low mileage dry weather only running bikes out there.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jjdugen
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jun 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:48 - 22 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Manchester. Its a desert when it comes to motorcycle dealers. Pre 1998 we had a healthy dealership presence, all main brands catered for, lots of stuff to browse on a Saturday afternoon. Then, along came City Motorcycles. They basically bought up all the local dealers, closed them and we were left with their chrome palace in Stretford. They lasted roughly four years, went broke and left us with little or no dealer chain.
But, then came fast internet and E-Bay, you can get ANYTHING you want from there. You want to check out a certain model, you go to a show, sit and prod, then go on-line. Its the only sensible business model thats left.
Servicing and repair seems to be devolving to people like me, a little backyard workshop, no overheads, reasonable costs and I am entirely accountable, not some faceless YTS trainee hiding behind a workshop manager.
By the Bye, no-one has factored in the 'classic' market. That thrives, very nicely thank you.
The whole market place in in flux, the old business models are not relevant anymore, we live in interesting times.
____________________
The CBR900RR has been sold. Aprilia Falco worms its way into my heart.
Try Soi 23 on Amazon for a good read.... Self promotion? Moi?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c-m
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:54 - 22 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norwich is tiny compared to Manchester, yet for our 100k population we have, Yamaha, Triumph, Kawasaki/Ducati, KTM/MV, Honda/Suzuki, BMW, Harely Davidson, Piaggio, plus 3 Honda dealers all within half an hour.

That doesn't include a large number of 2nd hand bike dealers too - Weatherleys, Value Bike, Superbikes etc..

It's not looking too bad here.
____________________
Motorcycle headlight bulbs and HIDs
Blogging about my bike and trips
https://ridershandbook.com/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 254 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.20 Sec - Server Load: 0.35 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 143.1 Kb