Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


DVLA - preventing montardery

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:03 - 24 Jan 2012    Post subject: DVLA - preventing montardery Reply with quote

So, they've written to me and told me they've forgotten to add the restriction to my license that says I need to wear specs while riding a bike.

All other categories on my license have this mark against them so they've clearly just forgotten to add the mark.

Quite why the restriction applies to different categories rather than the person holding the license is confusing me though. I know a very small amount about database normalisation, and I just know they've got a sodding great access v2 database with all these floating point integer fields available for codes to be applied here there and anywhere... The fact I'm paying for this bollocks of a system is just the cream in the cake...

But I digress. What's the accepted procedure for giving them the license back to add the code, and not to have category entitlements magic themselves off your license? I've heard stories of photocopies, then them arguing the toss about it after etc...

(and before someone chirps in about searching, I did, and got no results because of the search thing being Kornholed(c)2012-UnknownStuntman)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:05 - 24 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've misplaced it.

Simple as, request they send you a new one, their error not yours, free of charge please Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:12 - 24 Jan 2012    Post subject: Re: DVLA - preventing montardery Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:

Quite why the restriction applies to different categories rather than the person holding the license is confusing me though. I know a very small amount about database normalisation, and I just know they've got a sodding great access v2 database with all these floating point integer fields available for codes to be applied here there and anywhere...


Think their drivers records system was developed in the mid 1980s, so long before Access with a gleam in its developers eye. If I had to guess I would suspect it is an IMS or a DB2 database.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:18 - 24 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd definately go with the "lost it" thing too.

Even if I had to pay the ?£20? for a replacement. Then you still have the original to argue the toss over.

You forgot to mention that the database is administered and updated by a succession of the more moronic floor-sweepings in the Swansea Job Centre. "Long term unemployed sir? No skills at all? This thing is called a telephone, can you pick up that bit? Excellent, report to the DVLA at 9am Monday morning."
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paulington
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:26 - 24 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get the restriction (33bhp) removed from my licence, I just applied online for a new one saying I'd lost the old one.

Costs £20 or so but at least I have the old one like stinkwheel said, I'd never give them the only licence I have. That is asking for trouble.
____________________
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."
Current Vehicles: '89 Kawasaki KDX200, '99 Yamaha XV535, '00 Honda ST1100 Pan-European, '08 Suzuki GSX-R1000, '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GS4 2.0 TDCi, '15 BMW 1 Series 116d Sport Turbo.
CBT: 27/08/08. Theory: 04/09/09. Module 1: 16/09/09. Module 2: 01/10/09.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:42 - 24 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulington wrote:
To get the restriction (33bhp) removed from my licence, I just applied online for a new one saying I'd lost the old one.

Costs £20 or so but at least I have the old one like stinkwheel said, I'd never give them the only licence I have. That is asking for trouble.


It would have been free if you'd moved house then moved back again a short time later.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paulington
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:55 - 24 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Paulington wrote:
To get the restriction (33bhp) removed from my licence, I just applied online for a new one saying I'd lost the old one.

Costs £20 or so but at least I have the old one like stinkwheel said, I'd never give them the only licence I have. That is asking for trouble.


It would have been free if you'd moved house then moved back again a short time later.

In my opinion, £20 is a small price to pay for having to spend 4 hours on hold and talking to DVLA troglodytes.
____________________
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."
Current Vehicles: '89 Kawasaki KDX200, '99 Yamaha XV535, '00 Honda ST1100 Pan-European, '08 Suzuki GSX-R1000, '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GS4 2.0 TDCi, '15 BMW 1 Series 116d Sport Turbo.
CBT: 27/08/08. Theory: 04/09/09. Module 1: 16/09/09. Module 2: 01/10/09.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 252 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.72 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 57.13 Kb