Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Motherboards... talk to me

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi



Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:50 - 29 Jan 2012    Post subject: Motherboards... talk to me Reply with quote

I need a new one, mine is clocking on for nearly 3 years old now and I want a new one with the latest fandangled technology.

Any reommendations?

I'm running an i7 860 socket 1156 CPU and the board is a ASUS P7P556D Pro.

Not sure if I should upgrade my CPU as well, undecided but I know my CPU will dictate the board I can have unless I upgrade both.

Don't mind spending a few quid for the likes of USB3, SATA3, PCIE3.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:41 - 29 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your current rig not doing what you'd like to be having done?
____________________
"There's the horizon! Ride hard, ride fast and cut down all who stand in your way!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi



Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:50 - 29 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is but the USB ports keep acting up. Everytime I put a new USB device in one of the ports, something malfunctions. I have external drives plugged in copying 100's GB's of data and half way through it will fail because the port decides to think it's been unplugged.

I've tried everything, upgrading motherboard firmware, checking connectors on the board etc.

The board has USB2, SATA2 as well, I want USB3 & SATA3 then I can upgrade my HDD's. I also just want some better performance.

Plus I can build the old components into another case and make a pretty decent PC to sell on.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

_Chris_
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 25 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:56 - 29 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be getting electrical interference over the usb cable. Make sure it's not running alongside any power/audio cables. Same thing happened to me at work, took ages to work out the problem
____________________
Just getting started
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi



Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:59 - 29 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either way, it's time to upgrade Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Welshd1k
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:06 - 29 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

well pointless buying another 1156 mobo as the one you have is considered one of the best you can buy . so id say go 2500k or a 2600k and a ud3 or ud5 gigabyte or a z68p7pro asus etc
____________________
Current >Cb600fx hornet, ns125rk90 21.7bhp@wheel<
Sold >,zxr400 h2 (33bhp kit) rd350 n1 rd350 lc2<
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi



Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:48 - 30 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needs to be a 1155 board really and CPU to suit.

https://www.ebuyer.com/270701-asus-maximus-iv-extreme-z-z68-socket-1155-8-channel-hd-audio-eatx-maximus-iv-extreme-z

With

https://www.ebuyer.com/252535-intel-core-i7-2600k-3-4ghz-socket-1155-8mb-cache-retail-boxed-processor-bx80623i72600k

Win?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:08 - 30 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZX Jay wrote:


I had an Asus Maximus board and it was superb. My brother has it now, still going strong. Thumbs Up
____________________
"There's the horizon! Ride hard, ride fast and cut down all who stand in your way!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi



Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:30 - 30 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've mostly always stuck to ASUS for boards, I think they're quality.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 250 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 0.58 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 58.46 Kb