Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


GS550 and GSX400

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

james1988
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:35 - 02 Feb 2012    Post subject: GS550 and GSX400 Reply with quote

Hello,

Sorry for sounding stupid but do the Suzuki GS550 and GSX400 use the same frame? I have the opportunity to rebuild a GS550 (all I need is the frame and a few other bits) as a mate has been collecting bits over the years but now can't afford to finish it off. The reason I ask is because I've seen them both referred to as the 'Katana'. There's a frame listed on ebay with the V5 but is listed as a GSX400 Katana frame and from the pictures it doesn't look any different to the frame for a GS550 - to me anyway.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks, James
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:04 - 02 Feb 2012    Post subject: Re: GS550 and GSX400 Reply with quote

james1988 wrote:
Hello,

Sorry for sounding stupid but do the Suzuki GS550 and GSX400 use the same frame? I have the opportunity to rebuild a GS550 (all I need is the frame and a few other bits) as a mate has been collecting bits over the years but now can't afford to finish it off. The reason I ask is because I've seen them both referred to as the 'Katana'. There's a frame listed on ebay with the V5 but is listed as a GSX400 Katana frame and from the pictures it doesn't look any different to the frame for a GS550 - to me anyway.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks, James


If you're talking about the bikes from the mid 80s, AFAIK, they don't share the same frame.

There was a Katana version of the GS550, which used the same frame as the standard GS550E, but different bodywork.

The GSX400F was smaller, lighter and never marketed as a Katana in this country, although it used similar styling cues as the rest of the range; it was called a Katana elsewhere though, and there were quite a few grey import bikes which had Katana in the model name on the V5 and that has lead to the GSX being called a Katana here.

That's my understanding and memory, no doubt somebody will correct me, if I'm wrong.
____________________
Things get better with age; I'm close to being magnificent........
20 RE Interceptor, 83 Z1100A3, 83 GS650 Katana
WooHoo, I'm a Man Point Millionaire! https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234035
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord



Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:10 - 02 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. The label 'Katana' was applied to a lot of Suzuki vehicles, ranging from an 1100 to a 50. I've found out (the entertaining way) that a lot of Suzuki's vehicles from that era don't share much by way of chassis components.
It'd be helpful if you listed the years that you're looking at, as well; the GSX line has been subject to a lot of changes over its lifetime.
____________________
'10 SV650SF, '83 GS650GT (it lives!), Questionable DIY dash project, 3D Printer project, Lasercutter project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tenko
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 09 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:23 - 02 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall the GSX400F was a later model with a 4 valve head and some problem with oil volume. Lovely looking bike but used to blow up. Certainly nothing like a GS550 which was much bigger physically and ran for as long as its electrics allowed.

If you are going to build a bike based upon the GS550 engine, be sure to go over everything electrical with the greatest of care, and whatever you do, don't run it with a weak battery...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

james1988
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:34 - 02 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed from the mid 80's. The frames seem to be as rare as hens teeth. The only two I've come across that have been in decent nick have been without the V5 but have had HPI checks showing they are clear. If I were to buy a frame sans V5 would it be a major issue? I'd do a HPI check first to ensure it's legit but I would imagine the DVLA wont be of much help.

As for electrical gremlins what am I looking for?

Thanks,
James
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord



Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:38 - 02 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - you can apply for a v5, although prepare to part with £25 for the privilege.
As for electrical gremlins; mine seem to be largely centred around crap earthing points.
____________________
'10 SV650SF, '83 GS650GT (it lives!), Questionable DIY dash project, 3D Printer project, Lasercutter project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:24 - 02 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be fairly simple to make your own loom for an engine of that vintage.

I completely rewired my old GSXR1100 of similar vintage, I kept the battery connectors a few of the block connectors and used sections of trailer loom.
____________________
Some shite cruiser. Now with guns and FREEDOM!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord



Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:57 - 02 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Temeluchus wrote:
Should be fairly simple to make your own loom for an engine of that vintage.

I completely rewired my old GSXR1100 of similar vintage, I kept the battery connectors a few of the block connectors and used sections of trailer loom.


Potentially expensive, though.
Also, OP - check out This page if you need manuals/diagrams.
____________________
'10 SV650SF, '83 GS650GT (it lives!), Questionable DIY dash project, 3D Printer project, Lasercutter project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tenko
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 09 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:56 - 02 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had 3 and all have broken down at some point due to dicky electrics. I've replaced coils, reg/rectifiers, rewound alternators and had an earthing point prevent starting.

If I recall, I used 2nd hand Honda parts wherever I could and these seemed to cure the problems.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

james1988
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:37 - 03 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update. I bought a frame of eBay, no documents but the frame number is intact and it comes with the registration plate. I phoned the breakers yard where it's coming from and he's assured me it's straight. With any luck I'll have a project thread up in the workshop section next week. Very Happy

James
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

james1988
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:22 - 05 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balls, after doing my own HPI check it appears the VIN and VRM don't match and there is a mileage discrepancy. In 1999 it was recorded as having done 64k miles and in 2007 it had done 22k (I suppose this could be a number of things like a change of clocks but I now have a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach).

The reg plate has not been reported as stolen, written off or anything else.

Any words of wisdom BCF? Pale

James

*Edit*
I think the seller has cocked up and given me the model number not the VIN as it's only 11 characters instead of 17.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:52 - 05 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

james1988 wrote:
Balls, after doing my own HPI check it appears the VIN and VRM don't match and there is a mileage discrepancy. In 1999 it was recorded as having done 64k miles and in 2007 it had done 22k (I suppose this could be a number of things like a change of clocks but I now have a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach).

The reg plate has not been reported as stolen, written off or anything else.

Any words of wisdom BCF? Pale

James

*Edit*
I think the seller has cocked up and given me the model number not the VIN as it's only 11 characters instead of 17.


There is always the possibility that in the 8 years it did another 58k and went round the clock! Shocked
____________________
"Everybody needs money, that's why they call it money!" Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

james1988
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:54 - 05 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
james1988 wrote:
Balls, after doing my own HPI check it appears the VIN and VRM don't match and there is a mileage discrepancy. In 1999 it was recorded as having done 64k miles and in 2007 it had done 22k (I suppose this could be a number of things like a change of clocks but I now have a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach).

The reg plate has not been reported as stolen, written off or anything else.

Any words of wisdom BCF? Pale

James

*Edit*
I think the seller has cocked up and given me the model number not the VIN as it's only 11 characters instead of 17.


There is always the possibility that in the 8 years it did another 58k and went round the clock! Shocked


I was thinking as the mileage wasn't recorded that it had been SORN'd or the equivalent as I thought it was compulsory on MOT's (I'm probably wrong though). Basically I'm just paranoid I've bought something that's been nicked after doing that HPI check.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:04 - 06 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing to remember is, HPI records are not 100% accurate, not even 99% accurate, in my experience.

You assume correctly, there is no obligation to register mileage when you change keeper, but it would appear on MOTs, so you can get the details on that, but you have to pay a fee to get MOT history (only a fiver, I think).

I would think mileage discrepancies are quite common on bikes, especially when they are that age; accident damage, instrument failure or a previous owner ditching the original clocks, in favour of something trendier, are all possibilities.

If you've been given the wrong number to check, that explains why they can't tie it to the VRM, but the fact that the VRM is clear, is a good start.

How much are you paying for the frame and are they reputable breakers?
____________________
Things get better with age; I'm close to being magnificent........
20 RE Interceptor, 83 Z1100A3, 83 GS650 Katana
WooHoo, I'm a Man Point Millionaire! https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234035
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

james1988
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:19 - 06 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid £85 including quid postage which seems to be the going rate. I found it on eBay, the bloke has 579 transactions and 99.1% feedback. After reading the feedback it seems as though it's mainly the buyer who has jumped the gun before giving time for them to resolve the issue. I spoke to him on the phone too on Friday and he re-assured me that it's straight and has come from a project bike or words to that effect.

The bit that's bothering me the most is that it doesn't come with any paper work. He did say on the phone that he might be able to find the little green slip the goes with it which I assume to be the one for the new keeper and if he does manage to dig it out he'll send that with it too.

I suppose it's just a waiting game now.

James
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:33 - 06 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, for that money I wouldn't be too worried; if he's got the new keeper supplement, all well and good, if not, apply for a duplicate V5 before you do anything else, so you don't waste any time and money working on a bike you can't get paperwork for.
____________________
Things get better with age; I'm close to being magnificent........
20 RE Interceptor, 83 Z1100A3, 83 GS650 Katana
WooHoo, I'm a Man Point Millionaire! https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234035
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 241 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.77 Sec - Server Load: 1.66 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 95.27 Kb