Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


SSD(ead)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi



Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:42 - 01 Mar 2012    Post subject: SSD(ead) Reply with quote

Last night I powered the PC off and this morning tun it on and come back to "Missing boot record" and "Windows failed to find device".

After a few hours of tinkering about, it seems my SSD has given up the ghost. I pulled my GPU out and pulled all the SATA cables out and swapped several for brand new spare one's I had in the box.

Tried changing the power cables and swapping them for one's that were powering other devices fine but still nothing. The BIOS didn't even recognise the SSD.

The strangest thing is, whilst I had the sides off powering it on and off trying different settings, the SSD has a green and red LED on the back. Looks like it's getting power but it's not being recognised.

Don't know what to do with it now. I only ever store the OS on it and a few apps. All my work/files are saved to other drives so there's no issue with data loss.

I only just checked it with an SSD tool a few weeks ago and it said 100% life left in it.

Any ideas?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

el_oso
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:52 - 01 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

try it in another computer would be my sugestion
____________________
Duke 390
Previous: '05 XR125L | '96 XJ600S Diversion |'05 Suzuki GSXR1000 | '05 Honda CBR125-R | '97 YZF 600R Thundercat | '11 Honda CBR250
Car: Jeep Wrangler 4.0L
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:58 - 01 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above,

If no joy then its RMA time i reckon
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi



Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:02 - 01 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

OCZ have a handy 3 year warranty as well.

Also, ebuyer.com is doing £50 off 120GB Agility 3 SSD so it's £100 odd

I will try it in the other machine, didn't even think it would make a difference because I thought, "If it doesn't work in here, why would it work in another".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:07 - 01 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out buying from loadsa places along with direct from the manufacturer and see what they offer through quidco etc

i bought direct from crucial, got £25 cash back Very Happy

edit:- i heard on the cyber grapevine that Intel are the ones to buy atm. Not sure if its for reliability or performance though.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Seb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:20 - 02 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intel spent a lot longer developing their drives than many of the other oems combined, end result is that their sandforce 2 SSDs are running a substantially more refined firmware than those that rushed to market. The other vendors will eventually get the intel update made available, but it'll be exclusive for a bit yet.

As for Jay's drive.

Stick it in a sandwich bag, pop it in the freezer overnight, then plug it in, tap it with a rubber mallet whilst singing kum ba yah my lord! Wink
____________________
2010 Triumph 1050 Sprint ST
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi



Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:24 - 02 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You being serious Seb? My brother just said put it in the freezer too.

https://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2156979

Almost the same problem except mine wasn't put in hibernate mode... actually, I could possible have pressed hibernate rather than close down because I was really tired but I've NEVER done it before so not so certain.

I've also just had it in the other machine downstairs and it doesn't recognise it either Crying or Very sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Seb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:10 - 02 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

No =(

It's an old HDD trick, surprisingly effective in the days of stiction woes and bubblegum bearings
____________________
2010 Triumph 1050 Sprint ST
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:49 - 02 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

They all do that, mister.

You have backups, right?
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpha-9
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:28 - 02 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about SSD, but i've had dodgy windows that suddenly stopped recognising my primary drive...

Have you looked in device manager/everest and such to make sure your PC definitely doesn't see it at all?

It could be that it's not showing in my computer but is actually still connected, which would show its a problem with software not the hardware
____________________
Fzr-600 1999
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

calyx
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:48 - 02 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably your mbr (master boot record) is fucked. Google it. There are some fixes. (didn't work for me but worth a try)
____________________
Boris - London
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpha-9
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:02 - 02 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
They all do that, mister.

You have backups, right?


Didn't realise SSD was so unreliable. They were made out to be the next best thing.. Didn't want to pay silly amounts for tiny space anyway, least I know not to bother Thumbs Up
____________________
Fzr-600 1999
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:33 - 02 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the conclusion of that article is that they're hotter than they are crazy, and any sane person is going to have a backup strategy anyway, it's just even more vital if you're running SSD.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi



Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:44 - 02 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:


You have backups, right?


ZX Jay wrote:

Don't know what to do with it now. I only ever store the OS on it and a few apps. All my work/files are saved to other drives so there's no issue with data loss.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Seb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:00 - 02 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
They all do that, mister.

You have backups, right?


Didn't realise SSD was so unreliable. They were made out to be the next best thing.. Didn't want to pay silly amounts for tiny space anyway, least I know not to bother Thumbs Up


Because magnetic HDDs are the pinnacle of reliability right? Neutral

A quality SSD is still the single biggest upgrade going for any modestly specced day to day machine, the gains are even more profound for laptops.
____________________
2010 Triumph 1050 Sprint ST
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi



Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:22 - 03 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard an SSD in a mac book transforms it completely. I'm hating using this spare SATA2 5400RPM drive already. Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Welshd1k
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:05 - 03 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSD = POS never ever leave important stuff one one that isn't backed up! because TBH they all die ever so fast far to fast for my liking ill keep my 600gb velociraptors for now thanks .
____________________
Current >Cb600fx hornet, ns125rk90 21.7bhp@wheel<
Sold >,zxr400 h2 (33bhp kit) rd350 n1 rd350 lc2<
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:15 - 03 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use fanless pcs (carbon fibre dust makes standard pcs go bang ) in our factory and labs. They are all ssd based and we've never had one fail yet.

Mark
____________________
Current bikes: Honda ST1100 Pan European. Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Seb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:10 - 03 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZX Jay wrote:
I've heard an SSD in a mac book transforms it completely. I'm hating using this spare SATA2 5400RPM drive already. Sad


Indeed it does, my Mac Pro boots up faster than my bluetooth keyboard by quite a long way, and that's with a non raid first gen sandforce, hardly cutting edge. Neutral

And on the reliability front, my mac's OCZ Colossus (3.5" vertex 2e) has never dropped a single byte of data in the 2+ years it's been running, the RevoDrive in my PC is rather more highly strung to the point where I keep backups but again, no data loss in the year and a half I've been running it for.

I could also add that the two 1.5tb Seagates I bought to raid together in my PC both started to fail within a month of purchase and within a week of each other, It's also worth noting that I'm now up to a near 50/50 failure rate on the 750gb drives in the last batch of Alienware towers I sold. Should I replace my home server's HDDs with SSDs? Of course not, I just run away screaming every time I see a Seagate 7200.11 Wink

Newsflash at 10, storage isn't utterly reliable no matter what form it takes Thumbs Up
____________________
2010 Triumph 1050 Sprint ST
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:49 - 03 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seb wrote:
I just run away screaming every time I see a Seagate 7200.11 Wink


You're not the only one Smile

Mark
____________________
Current bikes: Honda ST1100 Pan European. Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:51 - 03 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welshd1k wrote:
SSD = POS never ever leave important stuff on any drive that isn't backed up! because TBH they all die ever so fast far to fast for my liking ill keep my 600gb velociraptors for now thanks .


Editied for you

Mark
____________________
Current bikes: Honda ST1100 Pan European. Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi



Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:06 - 03 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 5 internal drives, each with different media on them. All my work is saved to a separate drive with no partitions and that's the only drive I backup to an external one.

The rest of it is replacable and if any of the other stroage drives fuck up, I'm not losing anything of major importance.

The SSD just had the OS on it and a few apps like Adobe suite and other day to day things. I will buy another SSD because the speed is awesome but I reckon Intel this time.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:40 - 14 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, cheers ZXJay, my OCZ VERTEX 2 decided to die on me today, lol.

Got home from work this morning, powered on my pc and lo and behold I get the error about not being able to find a bootable drive.

I get this sinking feeling that the ssd has died, and sure enough, the red and green Led's are lit up.

I've had it since may last year, so it's still within warranty and I've submitted an RMA with the supplier.

I've decided to give ocz another chance by getting the agility 3 120 drive. It this one fails too then I'm definitely going with an Intel drive.
____________________
Yamaha MT-09

ಠ_ಠ
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi



Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:37 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gutted mate! Been slogging it out on an old drive for the past few weeks whilst I decide on what to get next. I bought mind around the same time, maybe same batch? Got mine from ebuyer.com

Anyway, I won't be going with OCZ again on SSDs, time to switch to Intel I think. The price is very tempting on the Agility 3's on ebuyer @ £100 for 120GB at the minute but I'm not doing it again!

I haven't got round to an RMA yet, let me know how you get on or if they try and suggest some kind of work around.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:27 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corsair 120GB Force 3 SSD CSSD-F120GB3-BK
£109.99inc. vat

https://www.ebuyer.com/268693-corsair-120gb-force-3-ssd-cssd-f120gb3-bk-cssd-f120gb3-bk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 212 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 1.34 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 124.56 Kb