Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Agv K4 and Stealth SV

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

promufa
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 26 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:38 - 09 Mar 2012    Post subject: Agv K4 and Stealth SV Reply with quote

Any of you using one of those lids? I am looking to renew my old one and these look quite good. I 've seen a couple of comments that you get quite a bit of noise with them.

I will be heading to the shop sometime next week to try a few on and find a good fit, but obviously cant test them for noise blocking
____________________
'02 Triumph Speed Four
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lihp
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:43 - 09 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

K4 is fine here, quite comfy, noise yes, more of a whistle if you manage to get your head at the correct angle with the wind.

The annoying thing with the K4, is that when not moving in heavy rain, it has a habit of not getting a good seal at the top of visor, and it drips in.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:11 - 09 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Stealth SV.

I like mine tbh, really like the (idea of) lower chin protection you get on some of the AGVs.

Only downsides I'd say of the Stealth are 1) the sun visor can be incredibly tricky to operate if you've got winter/waterproof gloves on, and 2) the rear spoiler effort can create a bit extra noise if you get your head at the wrong angle
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TH427
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 09 Dec 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:40 - 09 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Stealth SV, got it around september when most AGV helmets had 25% off and the place I got it chucked in a spare visor.
It's nice light Lid, sun visor isn't the easiest to work but you adapt to it.
AGV lids aren't very quiet, but it's perfectly acceptable to me (I read a few things about the wind noise online and got a bit worried that it would be horrifically noisey).
They had a problem with a whilstling noise a while ago, but now most their helmets come with additional padding which can be clipped in by the ears to reduce noise.
Ventilation is really good and the paint finish is good too.
____________________
2000 Suzuki GN125 (Sold) - 1989 Kawasaki GPZ600R (Sold) - 2010 Yamaha XJ6N (Sold) - 2004 Triumph Daytona 600 (Sold) - 1994 GSXR750 Cafe Racer
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RPM
Nova Slayer



Joined: 16 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:10 - 09 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have the Stealth SV in plain white.

Pretty much echo what has already been said. I have found the fit is snug/good, ratchet clip works well, the visor closure is nice and tight, the paint finish is good and it is fairly well ventilated Thumbs Up

The built in sun shade is a pain to operate, I don't tend to use it, I have a tinted visor instead.....but this is my preference on all of my helmets.

The noise is more of a whistle and is dependent on the angle of your head and the speed you are riding at.

I find that the whistling is noticable at about 40 mph and above, so if you spend a lot of time riding on dual carriageways/motorways you might find it annoying or intolerable.

All the best
Mike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nick 50
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:35 - 09 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an S4-SV but it's my first and only helmet so can't offer a comparison type review.

It seems noisey and whistles at times as other have pointed out.

I e-mailed AGV last week. They have replaced the S4-SV and Stealth-SV with the Skyline and Horizon models respectively. I asked them that if the visors for the new models will fit the older problematic ones and if it will sort the noise issue. Unfortunately thanks to their wonderous customer service they have not replied.

I would look at other discontinued helmets. There are a few Shark ones reduced from £280 to £180 on sportsbikeshop.
____________________
Current Bikes: ZX7r 97 (Black Beauty), VFR400 NC24 (The banana)
Previous Bikes: Aprilia Tuono 03 (The Beast), CBR600f (97)
First bike: A GZ125 Lemon.......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:03 - 10 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the AGV V-Flyer just before the Stealth replaced it in the range. It was my first helmet at the time, so I had nothing else to compare it to, but I'd happily have another Thumbs Up
https://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e312/Dazbo666/JTS%20MCycles%2008042006/DSC00186.jpg
____________________
1st bike (Sept'06 - May'10) : 1991 GPZ500S / Current bike (since Nov 2009) : 2003 Suzuki Bandit 600N
Word of the day : DILLIGAF
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:42 - 10 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an S4-SV, and it was a good lid.

It was a little bit 'airy' and by that I mean it had a lot of space in between the padding and stuff. It wasn't as insulating as most lids. The shell size was comparatively large, but I found the visor mechanisms to be excellent. The sun visor was especially better than the HJC IS-16 I've got now, which although it is spring loaded and isn't too bad to retract (you have to find the right button with trial and error) It is quite hard to move into the down position.

The AGV sun visor has a little lever on the left side of the lid which is easy to find and easy to use with gloved hands.

I did, however have a problem with excessive whistling, and I found it impossible to adjust this out by adjusting the fit of the visor. In fact, the whistling was so bad it gave me a headache very quickly every time I rode over 40mph. I took the lid back, and it was replaced under warranty as AGV appeared to unofficially acknowledge there was a problem with whistling on the very first batch of lids. Once this was sorted it was a good lid.

I do, however, prefer my HJC now. The sun visor isn't as good, but the rest of the lid is excellent. Its more comfy, has more padding and is more insulating than the AGV. The vent mechanisms are good, and the only downside really is that the main visor doesn't have a very small opening notch on the ratchet. Its either half open or fully open, which is a bit of a pain, but not a disaster.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

promufa
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 26 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:52 - 16 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Will be heading down to the shop this w/e and try a few. Also heard good things about some of the Shark lids, the air pump thing sounds interesting Wink
____________________
'02 Triumph Speed Four
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

whitedevil
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:56 - 16 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had a stealth sv for a few years.

First off the visor it shit, it never fitted the helmet properly and would pop open when shoulder checking above 50mph.
I bought a pinlock visor from race visors and that works great.

Next problem is the foam has given in so the helmet is now way to loose and thats why i replaced it 6 months ago with a shoei xspirit 2 which is 1000x better.

Another problem is the shape of the helmet, when I sit in race position the back of the helmet hits my back and pushes the helmet down which means you cant see most of the road.

Another problem with the shape it that you get loads of wind coming up the inside of the chin area which isnt so bad in summer but fucking awful in winter and also drys out your eyes and makes it hard to see.

As for the sun visor, if you use it with visor shut you cant see much and if you use it with the visor open you just get blasted in the eyes by the wind.

TL;DR
Dont buy a stealth sv its shit.
____________________
GPZ500 sold ~ CBR600FS-2 sold ~ ZX6R sold ~ Street Triple R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Drew This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Beez
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 17 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:02 - 17 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

S4-SV: Noisy at speed, sun visors a little fiddly, chin skirt falls off (binned mine), visor doesn't seal properly unless given a good slap, chin point hurts like a bitch if you have your jacket open and look down suddenly Very Happy

But comfy as hell Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Type_Mo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:24 - 17 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id personally go for a hjc, either the fg15 or is16.

But always try before buying.
____________________
- Typhoon ?0 - Yamaha DT125R - Aprilia SR125 - Yamaha DT125R - Honda Hornet 600 -
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Redoko
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:26 - 17 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best helmet I've ever owned. Also, not sure why everyone has problems with the sun visor. I love it.

https://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/197397_10150178945471201_587806200_8689821_2999027_n.jpg
____________________
"Let's face it, this is not the worst thing you've caught me doing."
Sudika Sportsman SK50QT > Gilera DNA50 > Honda CBR125 RW7 > Kawasaki Zephyr750 > Suzuki GSXR600 > Honda Hornet CB600F '51
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nick 50
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:50 - 17 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick 50 wrote:
I've got an S4-SV but it's my first and only helmet so can't offer a comparison type review.

It seems noisey and whistles at times as other have pointed out.

I e-mailed AGV last week. They have replaced the S4-SV and Stealth-SV with the Skyline and Horizon models respectively. I asked them that if the visors for the new models will fit the older problematic ones and if it will sort the noise issue. Unfortunately thanks to their wonderous customer service they have not replied.

I would look at other discontinued helmets. There are a few Shark ones reduced from £280 to £180 on sportsbikeshop.


Finally after waiting well over 3 weeks, have got a reply from AGV:

Quote:
Hi, I'm sorry but you've reached the offices of AGV in the United States.
We have neither of those helmets here, so I don't know the answer. Please try your local AGV stockist or email to [email protected], in Italy.

Best regards,

AGV USA


Shocked wait 3 weeks to be fobbed off it seems. Impressive customer service from AGV to a known and well documented issue.
____________________
Current Bikes: ZX7r 97 (Black Beauty), VFR400 NC24 (The banana)
Previous Bikes: Aprilia Tuono 03 (The Beast), CBR600f (97)
First bike: A GZ125 Lemon.......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

whitedevil
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:42 - 21 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another reason my stealth sv sucks donkey dick
https://cdn.bikechatforums.com/files/imag0311_119.jpg
less than 2 years old
____________________
GPZ500 sold ~ CBR600FS-2 sold ~ ZX6R sold ~ Street Triple R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 195 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.8 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 93.86 Kb