Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Cleaned my bike today!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:40 - 12 Mar 2012    Post subject: Cleaned my bike today! Reply with quote

Its all shiny!! Smile

I really can't remember the last time I cleaned my SV ... and I ride all year/weathers ... there was a massive build-up of chain lube gunk and associated crud on the rear wheel and swing-arm Embarassed

It took 6 mins on the jet-wash (local garage) to get the worst off, then lots of paraffin and elbow grease to get to the bottom of it all ...

I even gave the girl a polish ... its all good now! Smile

So, who is guilty of neglecting cleaning duties for long periods of time, then having a 'proper job' go at it like I am?
____________________
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:44 - 12 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a big cleaner of bikes. I cleaned my XT after Tatters told me off on Saturday Laughing

Luckily because I'd ACF-50'd it cleaned up nicely by spraying on more ACF-50 and wiping it with an old towel.

So, be lazy, cover your bike in ACF-50.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:54 - 12 Mar 2012    Post subject: Re: Cleaned my bike today! Reply with quote

Blue_SV650S wrote:
Its all shiny!! Smile

I really can't remember the last time I cleaned my SV ... and I ride all year/weathers ...


Ah well it will be rusty by the weekend now.... Laughing

Best to leave the muck to protect the metal Thumbs Up
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

serlant
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 06 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:02 - 12 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

before and after pics or lies.
____________________
04 CBR1000RR, 1995 Husqvarna TE410, 1998 VTR1000(Sold), 1990 XJ600(sold), 1996 KH125(dead and sold)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:12 - 12 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

serlant wrote:
before and after pics or lies.


I can do an after picture (obviously) but I didn't do a before ... darn my fading need to take a picture of/film everything!! Very Happy
____________________
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

tatters
Exxon Valdez



Joined: 05 Jan 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:13 - 12 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
I'm not a big cleaner of bikes. I cleaned my XT after Tatters told me off on Saturday Laughing




It was filthy and rusty, my XC is so clean you could eat off it. Wink
____________________
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nick 50
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:16 - 12 Mar 2012    Post subject: Re: Cleaned my bike today! Reply with quote

Blue_SV650S wrote:

... there was a massive build-up of chain lube gunk and associated crud on the rear wheel and swing-arm Embarassed



Have you took the cover off and cleaned the front sprocket and surrounding area??

If the rear sprocket was as bad as you say I bet the front sprocket area is 10 times worse!

Seriously, I would give it a check.
____________________
Current Bikes: ZX7r 97 (Black Beauty), VFR400 NC24 (The banana)
Previous Bikes: Aprilia Tuono 03 (The Beast), CBR600f (97)
First bike: A GZ125 Lemon.......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:33 - 12 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

tatters wrote:
It was filthy and rusty, my XC is so clean you could eat off it. Wink


You XC lives in a cosy garage, my XT gets used.

Filthy and rusty is a bit much - it was filthy and had rust on the rims. They're now rust free and the bike is more dirty than filthy now Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:00 - 12 Mar 2012    Post subject: Re: Cleaned my bike today! Reply with quote

Blue_SV650S wrote:
there was a massive build-up of chain lube gunk and associated crud on the rear wheel and swing-arm Embarassed


<SV Hataz>Fool, that was probably structural crud.</SV Hataz>
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ayrton
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:00 - 12 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only cleaned by bike once in the 6 months i have had it. Last time i cleaned it i found it just got dirty again straight after, so i never bother as long as its not affecting the mechanics.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:09 - 12 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleaned my Bandit yesterday. A good jetwashing with a strong solution of TFR/warm water followed 15 mins later by a good jetwashing of fresh water, then a good jetwashing with shampoo/warm water then finally another good jetwashing of fresh water. Then a quick go-over with a chamois.

Looks all spangly now Smile

Also took the bar mitts off.
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Acemastr
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:00 - 13 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CBR stays spotless, or as close to it.

Refuse to have a dirty bike, can't do it any good.
____________________
2017 KTM 350 XC-F - 2014 Yamaha R6 - 2005 Yamaha YZ125
2016 Toyota Tacoma Limited
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:28 - 13 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I washed my CBR the other week, first time since it's pre winter ACF50'ing in October, took the bar muffs off at the same time. I got used to the muffs and the bike felt weird to ride for a bit, I don't have to plan in advance taking my hands off the bars and my hands feel a little too exposed.

It was pretty mank though, ended up taking the plastics off, the wheels out, stripping the brakes and cleaning the inside of the hugger, swingarm and around the shock/headstock. Took a while but I am not blessed with a jetwasher and I like to dismantle and copper grease things, it's becoming a pastime and an OCD.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpha-9
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:32 - 13 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
I'm not a big cleaner of bikes. I cleaned my XT after Tatters told me off on Saturday Laughing

Luckily because I'd ACF-50'd it cleaned up nicely by spraying on more ACF-50 and wiping it with an old towel.

So, be lazy, cover your bike in ACF-50.


That's what I did, the next day there was a hole in my exhaust and the whole thing was steaming like a cunt Thumbs Up


Seems to have stopped now though Shocked
____________________
Fzr-600 1999
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pits
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:39 - 13 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep did mine the other day, though mine is washed fairly religiously, sadly the past 2-3 weeks it has been neglected due to time, just haven't had any time to do it.
https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/pitslayer/Duke/IMG_20120311_131541.jpg
https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/pitslayer/Duke/IMG_20120311_131534.jpg
https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/pitslayer/Duke/IMG_20120311_131522.jpg
https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/pitslayer/Duke/IMG_20120311_131527.jpg
https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/pitslayer/Duke/IMG_20120311_131451.jpg
https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/pitslayer/Duke/IMG_20120311_131457.jpg
https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/pitslayer/Duke/IMG_20120311_131503.jpg

When you have dirt on your tank by there, then you know you're in for a big clean.
https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/pitslayer/Duke/IMG_20120311_131516.jpg

wonder how upset the Ducatistis will be seeing that
Laughing

Degrease/spray wheels with wheel cleaner
Pressure wash
Foam/more wheel cleaner
Pressure wash
Wash mitt clean off/more wheel cleaner and old wash mitt for wheels
Pressure wash
Drying cloth
Wipe down any greasy areas with panel wipe
Job done.
https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/pitslayer/Duke/IMG_20120311_140844.jpg
https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/pitslayer/Duke/IMG_20120311_140859.jpg
https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/pitslayer/Duke/IMG_20120311_140853.jpg
https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/pitslayer/Duke/IMG_20120311_140820.jpg
https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/pitslayer/Duke/IMG_20120311_140835.jpg
https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/pitslayer/Duke/IMG_20120311_140828.jpg

Not bad for 30 minutes work Thumbs Up
____________________
Stinkwheel: You have no right to free speech
00:32:08 Blau Zedong: yes, i am a massive CB400 fan and collector
00:33:00 Blau Zedong: the CB400 is my favourite road bike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mikey3
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Nov 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:12 - 13 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

little and often, little and often Wink.

I don't personally use a pressure washer, don't want to damage and seals or anything. Knowing my luck I would.

Mike
____________________
'04 Yamaha WR450F
'99 SV650 Streetfighter Project - mid build
'Motorcycling is about what you do; not about what you own, or how much you spend on it'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:44 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rode the bike today and I surprised myself with how clean the clocks were!! Very Happy

It is a fully fared job too, so it is not like they are directly exposed to start with Embarassed

I could see out of the mirrors too ... I have wiped with rag many times since last wash, but I think I was getting to the point I was simply smearing crud/road grease around, not truly cleaning anything!!

It looks all shiny ....

It looks all shiny!! Smile
____________________
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sulphur
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 01 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:50 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics to prove! Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

EXC-Rider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:54 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to take my CRF apart and give it a deep clean, I striped the bike down to the frame keeping the engine in but no wheels, plastics, handle bars ect. Only did that like once a year at the end of the summer when im not using it ready for next year Very Happy,
____________________
owned bikes: DR50, Thumpsta 110 , Honda CR85, Speedfight 100, Yamaha XT125X, Honda CRF450, Honda Hornet '07
current bikes: KTM EXC525 AKA the wheelie machine
A friend in need is a friend indeed but a friend with weed is better!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:00 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought the CBR (first bike) I was out there every weekend cleaning it, making it spotless.

Now a year down the line it's more of a "feck it. I could clean it now but it'll get dirty again tomorrow. I'll just leave it."

The next time it sees a sponge will be when I'm taking the for-sale photos! Laughing
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

HD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:36 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Derbi for just over a year and it got cleaned twice within a month of owning it and then twice over the year then once properly before I sold it Laughing

CBA with cleaning enduro/supermoto style bikes anyway. There are hardly any plastics to get dirty so when you clean it, it pretty much looks the same unless you shine the wheels up which I used to do Smile

Can't see the bandit getting any special treatment either Razz
____________________
Rusty '02 Vito Camper + CBR600F3
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

flumpy7
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 31 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:11 - 16 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue_SV650S wrote:
Rode the bike today and I surprised myself with how clean the clocks were!! Very Happy

It is a fully fared job too, so it is not like they are directly exposed to start with Embarassed

I could see out of the mirrors too ... I have wiped with rag many times since last wash, but I think I was getting to the point I was simply smearing crud/road grease around, not truly cleaning anything!!

It looks all shiny ....

It looks all shiny!! Smile


I never bothered with my sv cause it used to piss me off that when the whole bike looked really shiny....the fork lowers looked like shit. Not met an sv over a year old yet that has nice lookin oem forks. Shame.
____________________
2012 Sinnis apache
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:37 - 16 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

After replacing the cracked headlamp last week, I kinda got carried away with the rag and WD40. I also might have bought one of these as there's no water in my garage.

https://www.gardenmachinesltd.co.uk/ekmps/shops/garmacltd/images/hozelock-4610-killaspray-pressure-water-sprayer-10ltr-1024-p.gif
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 206 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.77 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 125 Kb