Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Is it always like this...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Recluso
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 16 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:34 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Is it always like this... Reply with quote

Test rode a 2011 Diversion today. Bear in mind, my ride is a YBR 125.

Is it always mental stepping up power brackets? Took down the A370 to stretch its legs a bit, just went with it... only to glance down and realise that things were a... little bit faster than realised. Felt really quite snappy on the throttle by comparison.

Test riding a naked one on Sunday.

And an ER6f sometimes in the week.

Still boggling.

And now the YBR feels so slow by comparison Razz

WTF just happened?

*Wanders away to find a strong brew*
____________________
'Just erotic. Nothing kinky. It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken.'
Honda PS125i > Yamaha YBR125 > Yamaha XJ6 Diversion > Yamaha Tracer 900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:39 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Re: Is it always like this... Reply with quote

Recluso wrote:
Test rode a 2011 Diversion today. Bear in mind, my ride is a YBR 125.

Is it always mental stepping up power brackets? Took down the A370 to stretch its legs a bit, just went with it... only to glance down and realise that things were a... little bit faster than realised. Felt really quite snappy on the throttle by comparison.

Test riding a naked one on Sunday.

And an ER6f sometimes in the week.

Still boggling.

And now the YBR feels so slow by comparison Razz

WTF just happened?

*Wanders away to find a strong brew*


Yep, 125 suck ass, Laughing consider many people would class divis and er6s slow. I the most powerful bikes I have ridden are 130bhp'ish TL1000R and a Ducati 916SPS they are probably a bit under double the power of the ER6/divi. That blew me away it was ludicrously quick. Now imagine ridding a modern 1000 supersports with approaching 200bhp!
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpha-9
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:41 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Re: Is it always like this... Reply with quote

Recluso wrote:
Test rode a 2011 Diversion today. Bear in mind, my ride is a YBR 125.

Is it always mental stepping up power brackets? Took down the A370 to stretch its legs a bit, just went with it... only to glance down and realise that things were a... little bit faster than realised. Felt really quite snappy on the throttle by comparison.

Test riding a naked one on Sunday.

And an ER6f sometimes in the week.

Still boggling.

And now the YBR feels so slow by comparison Razz

WTF just happened?

*Wanders away to find a strong brew*


https://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/12/unlimited-power_opt.jpg

I like following your buffer from YBR to 'big bike'
Least I know what i'll have to go through eventually Laughing

I suppose when you've only rode tiddlers, how would you know what more power feels like? It's like if you've drank water your whole life and someone suddenly gives you a coke, sweet jesus!
____________________
Fzr-600 1999
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:47 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got off my 20bhp NS125R onto a 33bhp VFR400R NC21, and I thought it was a rocketship.

I then de-restricted the rocketship to give me a warp speed capable bike... Shocked
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Reid
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 24 Jan 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:01 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I reckon nobody should jump from 125 to 600cc+ - at least have a 500 twin/600 commuter in between so you get an extra "holy fuck my mind is blown" moment Laughing

Then a 750 Razz

Then a litre Twisted Evil
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:07 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you realize why we have this silly grin on our faces with the bigger bikes.

When I got off my 125 and onto my mates 750 we went out for a jaunt around Peterborough, he was on a Busa and said he would take it easy until I got used to the bike. If taking it easy was riding down this long straight country lane at 100mph then I didnt want to see what pushing it was. As he dissapeared into the distance leaving me behind I was left with no other option to open it up.

Holy good mother of shit and bejesus.

I'd ridden a GS500 for the test but this was a whole different ball game. At the end of the road he's there waiting laughing at my slowness and asked me if I liked the bike. Dumbfounded I could only nod my head and grin.

It was as good a welcome to sports bike riding as I could ever wish for.
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ClockworkJesu...
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 31 Jan 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:08 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got off my Chinky 125 and had a blitz of my brother's GS500.
I was almost breathless by the time I got off. Probably from all the maniacal laughter. 90Mph faster than I can get to 60... o.o;;

Eh? All I can really say to that, is that it gave me a reason to book in for my Mod 2 again. Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jjdugen
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jun 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:16 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

And after your ultimate (mine was a 'blade) you suddenly find that it IS too easy Plus the actual cost of keeping on top of something that is capable of such speeds. All of a sudden you find riding older, slower, is even more satisfying because the ragged edge is so much closer. But... enjoy, its what lifes all about.
____________________
The CBR900RR has been sold. Aprilia Falco worms its way into my heart.
Try Soi 23 on Amazon for a good read.... Self promotion? Moi?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

0l0dom0l0
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:18 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a bit like that yeah.

Riding a restricted bike, and then an unrestricted 600 is great fun. I didn't actually think it was possible for something to accelerate so fast lol.

You think the divvy is sensitive on the throttle? Pah wait till you ride a carb'd bike. They're even worse Razz.
____________________
CBT Passed: 30/08/2009, Theory Passed: 31/08/2010, Mod 1 Passed: 6/9/2010, Mod 2 Passed: 13/09/2010. Restriction ended 13/09/2012.

Bikes: 2007 Derbi GPR 50, 1998 Yamaha Fazer 600 (written off), 2002 Yamaha Fazer 600, 1994 CBR 600F, 2003 Triumph Daytona 600, Kawasaki ZX6R J1.....Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 1998 Suzuki TL1000R and a Honda VFR 400 NC30.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:27 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

0l0dom0l0 wrote:
It is a bit like that yeah.

Riding a restricted bike, and then an unrestricted 600 is great fun. I didn't actually think it was possible for something to accelerate so fast lol.

You think the divvy is sensitive on the throttle? Pah wait till you ride a carb'd bike. They're even worse Razz.


I rode an FI SV650 as a loan bike when I came off my Bros. That was REALLY sensitive on the throttle. If anything I think carbed bikes are a bit more predictable and less sensitive to accidental small movements.

But getting to the point of the thread. I went from an RXS100 to a Bros 400. The first time I took that for a test ride I was smiling manically. Then I bought my ZZR and until I got it restricted it had the same effect (SHIIIIITTTT).

However the Bros still makes me smile manically when I get off my ZZR600 onto it because of the easily accessible torque and little weight. It is just so much more fun to ride at legal (well close to) speeds.
____________________
Riding: BMW R1150RT `02 bought mildly crashed
Fixing: Also the BMW as I get less broken bits
Gone: ZZR600 '00, TRX850 '97, RXS100 '93, JS125-6B '07, BMW R1100RS '93, Kawasaki ZX-6R-J2 '01, Honda Bros NT400 NC25 '88


Last edited by UnspeedySam on 15:30 - 15 Mar 2012; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:29 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Re: Is it always like this... Reply with quote

Enjoy it while it lasts - for me I went 125 > KLR650 > ZX6R > Tuned ZX9R. The ZX6R had that 'rocket' feeling - the KLR650 a bit less so.
The 143 zx9r didn't really seem much faster, just easier to go fast.

Edit - and yes, it's a common issue for FI bikes to have a much harsher initial hit when you touch the throttle than carbed bikes. Newer FI bikes have got a lot better, however.


Last edited by G on 16:14 - 15 Mar 2012; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Pol Anorl This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:26 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're making me jealous!

17 days, 8 hours, 34 minutes and 55 seconds until I can get the GS500 insured. Drooling
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!



Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:30 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I r special wrote:

that feelign will dissapear after you give it some for a little while and get used to it.


I think it's more of the case that you forget just how wimpy the 125 was... but you keep the fond memories of it forever.
____________________
Funny, I used to hate being spanked as a child!
Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bikertomm
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:30 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get that current feeling on my 125 at the moment, I know it will wear off but definately going to enjoy it while it lasts!

I've never really been on a big bike, can't wait to get my mind blown one day Mr. Green Thumbs Up
____________________
07' Honda Hornet now full powaah! My guide on performing an oil change!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:32 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time I rode my CBR600 after a GS500 I nearly shat myself.

At one point I was in 2nd gear at about 75-80mph with the throttle pinned and I honestly couldn't get my head around how fast it was accelerating, and continuing to accelerate. I couldn't believe bikes were allowed to be that fast Laughing

You do get numb to it though, I hear the jump from a 600 to a 1000 is rather like the jump from a 500twin to 600 sports so I look forward to doing it sometime in the distant future. For now I am content with the performance of the CBR when it is kept on the boil. It is still exciting but the initial HOOOOOLLLLYYYY FAAAAACCCCCKKKKK has gone.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:35 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found fairings a little 'odd' but you soon get used to them. It can seem like your front end isn't facing the way you are going. Just don't fixate on it and that feeling soon goes Smile
I do prefer nakeds though, have you thought of an MT03?
I picked one up yesterday. I'm 5ft 4 and can nearly flatfoot without it being lowered.
When my restriction was still in place I grinned like a cheshire cat on the bigger bikes. The restriction comes off and the grin just gets bigger Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

swampy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:41 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikertomm wrote:
I get that current feeling on my 125 at the moment, I know it will wear off but definately going to enjoy it while it lasts!

I've never really been on a big bike, can't wait to get my mind blown one day Mr. Green Thumbs Up


Believe me it will Very Happy The acceleration is staggering on a 'big bike' compared to a 125 and I will never forget the mixture of excitement and fear that accompanied me opening the throttle on my first big bike... Is still wakes me up a bit even now, but much more mundane now I'm used to it. Thumbs Up
____________________
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson
"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death..." Hunter S Thompson
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:59 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

hedgehugger wrote:

When my restriction was still in place I grinned like a cheshire cat on the bigger bikes. The restriction comes off and the grin just gets bigger Very Happy

Wait until you try a proper bike Razz.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

robbieguy2003
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:00 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite mental, I always remember two - dodling towards a NSL on a school GS500 and thinking i'm pinning it as soon as I get to the sign, I did and it felt great and then it slowed down a lot and tottled around the corner Laughing

I done the same on the 600F, but I wasn't anywhere near full throttle, I done the opposite on that. Think it started in 4th got to full throttle, thought hmm not bad, like this, tried 3rd, giggled a bit, then tried 2nd and proceeded to laugh like an insane person, then it came on the boil and poo nearly escaped. Fun times.

Maddest thing I've rode is some of the newer 1000s, I spent 2 weeks on my brother in laws fireblade (2005 1000cc) and it was epic, it didn't corner as well as the 600 but on long sweepers and at higher speeds it felt much more planted.

That to me was really king of the road, you knew nothing but nothing short of something really special could get anywhere near you. It was fun, and I liked it - BUT, I still find a 600 is more usable.

So now I've got the 1250 for any gear get up and go - ace for commuting/short touring and the 600 for attacking lanes when I fancy a proper blat.
____________________
Current Bikes: Honda CBR 600RR - '07, Suzuki GSX1250 FA ST '11
Old Bikes: Suzuki Intruder 125 LC - '2001, Honda CBR 600F - '92, Honda CBR 600RR - '03
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kris
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:03 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember feeling 'OMFGWOWZERNOMNOM' a few times in my biking career. Firstly, after the NSR125 was derestricted. Then again after I sold it and got an early ZXR750, and then again when I traded that for a ZX9R.

Cool feeling though isn't it. Cool
____________________
NSR125RR - ZXR750H1 - ZX9R E1 - GSF600S - GSF600SK3 - VFR400-NC30 - SV1000N - ST1100-R - CBR900RR-R - GSF1200SK5 - GSF600SK1 - VFR1200FA - GSXR1000K2 - ZZR1400 D8F
www.prisonplanet.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

J0Al1
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:06 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just done the opposite.

Got on a 125 having not ridden on since my CBT in 2006... I laughed.. it was so light and it was like I was going along on my own cos you can't see a bike in front of you.


Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:23 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbieguy2003 wrote:
and it was epic, it didn't corner as well as the 600 but on long sweepers and at higher speeds it felt much more planted.

Suspect a lot of that's to do with the 'feel' of a tighter steering damper in both cases.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

robbieguy2003
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:26 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite Possibly, the RR5 had a damper and the RR7 has one - both are HESD units fitted as standard on the bikes.

The turn in felt slower and more stable on the 1000, the 600 just flops on it's side. Not sure about tyre profiles either and the difference that might have made?
____________________
Current Bikes: Honda CBR 600RR - '07, Suzuki GSX1250 FA ST '11
Old Bikes: Suzuki Intruder 125 LC - '2001, Honda CBR 600F - '92, Honda CBR 600RR - '03
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tenko
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 09 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:26 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1st was going from an AP50 to a GP125 (unrestricted and making a genuine 14.5bhp). Talk about power! Who needs more than a 125 anyway?

The next biggie was going from a GS550E to a 'tuned to the bollox' 250LC. That was a real eye-opener because I'd never chased a powerband so small (500 revs) yet so savage.

Its all fun - even going down in CC if the bike is harder to ride fast.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 212 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.25 Sec - Server Load: 1.6 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 135.14 Kb