Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Riding to Scotland from Leeds

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Snorty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:01 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Riding to Scotland from Leeds Reply with quote

Going to be riding up to Scotland soon...

Is this going to square my tyres off considerably? Don't really want shitty tyres. Might just take the GPZ instead of the CBR...
____________________
Current: Yamaha FZ1 '07 | GSXR 750 SRAD

Past: CB125TDC | TZR125 | GPZ500 | CBR600F3 | ZX9-R | GSXR1000 K4
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Snorty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:05 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I went the A1 last time and nearly got blown into oncoming traffic loads. Is it always like that?
____________________
Current: Yamaha FZ1 '07 | GSXR 750 SRAD

Past: CB125TDC | TZR125 | GPZ500 | CBR600F3 | ZX9-R | GSXR1000 K4
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kerr
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:10 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would your tyres square off considerably? yes they might wear down a wee bit faster on country roads.
No its not always windy down here, just pisses of rain most of the time Laughing although further north that may change.
Most riders come to scotland for the roads, you know the cbr makes sense Thumbs Up
____________________
aprilia 125 Af1 Futura >> Suzuki gsxr 600 srad >> J1 zx6r >> cbr 600rr >> Speed Triple
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iMark
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:10 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always just avoid most of the motorway and stick to the A roads, go through to Keighley onto Skipton then the A65 up to Kendal then from there follow the A6 to Carlisle

https://g.co/maps/ex9dk

^ map is showing to go onto the M6 but just stay on the A6... Smile A and B roads up to Edinburgh etc are good to go as well
____________________
K8 GSXR 1000
"G" : you got him to have a look at a forum which seems to have established a picture of an erect penis in a cat's mouth as it's mascot and thought he might consider it ok?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:29 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about your tyres Scotland's not too far from Leeds. You should be able to make the border in under 2 hours if you try. (Gretna side).

It also depends where in Scotland you are going to I'm in Halifax, I tend to shoot up past Skipton and just after Devil's Bridge I take the M6. The border is about 60 miles from Kendal.

However my favourite favourite route, which takes ages. Which is a fantastic biking road, absolutely beautifully scenic.

Is to take the A1 from Leeds and follow it until you get to Darlington. From Darlington, you need to look for the A68. You follow it and keep following it, it will take you all the way to Scotland and to Edinburgh. (WARNING MAKE SURE YOU FILL UP IN DARLINGTON AS I THINK JEDBURGH IS THE NEXT FUEL STOP).

____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Snorty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:34 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:
Don't worry about your tyres Scotland's not too far from Leeds. You should be able to make the border in under 2 hours if you try. (Gretna side).

It also depends where in Scotland you are going to I'm in Halifax, I tend to shoot up past Skipton and just after Devil's Bridge I take the M6. The border is about 60 miles from Kendal.

However my favourite favourite route, which takes ages. Which is a fantastic biking road, absolutely beautifully scenic.

Is to take the A1 from Leeds and follow it until you get to Darlington. From Darlington, you need to look for the A68. You follow it and keep following it, it will take you all the way to Scotland and to Edinburgh. (WARNING MAKE SURE YOU FILL UP IN DARLINGTON AS I THINK JEDBURGH IS THE NEXT FUEL STOP).


I've done the A68 route before. Good roads, though it was pitch black by the time I got anywhere decent lol.
____________________
Current: Yamaha FZ1 '07 | GSXR 750 SRAD

Past: CB125TDC | TZR125 | GPZ500 | CBR600F3 | ZX9-R | GSXR1000 K4
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:45 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I've done the A68 route before. Good roads, though it was pitch black by the time I got anywhere decent lol.


The border crossing is great, it's the best crossing that I know between any 2 countries that I have been to and i've been through a few.

And like an idiot I wheeled my bike between Scotland and England and did the stupid phone call, "Guess where I am" then 3 seconds later "Guess where I am now".
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 208 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 0.51 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 53.96 Kb