Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Why you should NOT ride a scooter during high winds!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

GrumpyGuts
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:16 - 18 Mar 2012    Post subject: Why you should NOT ride a scooter during high winds! Reply with quote

This happened when I was overtaken by a lorry at slow speed before a roundabout. After taking the second exit (straight ahead), the lorry driver must of had turbo and sped off, leaving me with a back draft. Being in the country side, with no buildings to stop it, the wind helped to push me into the kerb, thus me hugging the grass.

https://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j69/willyrobbie/2012-03-18171824.jpg

https://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j69/willyrobbie/2012-03-18171814.jpg

https://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j69/willyrobbie/2012-03-18171803.jpg

https://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j69/willyrobbie/2012-03-18171755.jpg

https://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j69/willyrobbie/2012-03-18171747.jpg
____________________
My Bikes: Lifan Beat 125cc '11 -> Suzuki B120P '76 -> Suzuki EN 125-2A '08 -> Honda CG 125 '04 -> Honda CB600F Hornet '98 -> Kawasaki ZZR 600 '99 -> Kawasaki GPZ 500S '95 (Current)
Theory test passed - 09/02/2012 >>>> Module 1 passed 24/07/2012 >>>> Module 2 passed 24/10/2012
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Pol Anorl This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:30 - 18 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, that crash caused hundreds of pounds worth of enhancements! Wink
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Babba This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

GrumpyGuts
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:58 - 18 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j69/willyrobbie/2112890315_7aa268d919_o-1.jpg

Scooters tend to be lighter than "proper" motorcycles, thus can easily be pushed by the wind. It wasn't really the trucker's fault, however his back draft and the fact it was windy did contribute pushing me towards the kerb as I was turning into the road. I braked but I hit the kerb and slid off.

I'm fine, by the way. Mad
____________________
My Bikes: Lifan Beat 125cc '11 -> Suzuki B120P '76 -> Suzuki EN 125-2A '08 -> Honda CG 125 '04 -> Honda CB600F Hornet '98 -> Kawasaki ZZR 600 '99 -> Kawasaki GPZ 500S '95 (Current)
Theory test passed - 09/02/2012 >>>> Module 1 passed 24/07/2012 >>>> Module 2 passed 24/10/2012
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

andym
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:53 - 19 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

aw gawd I almost pissed masel there.... that's not nice knocking the poor kids hog like that.

Anyway kind of reminds me when I had my Intruder 125 on the motorway, I'm almost flat out and I see this coach in the mirror... must have been doin' at least 400mph (bloody seemed like it anyway), he shot past me, and the turbulance managed to drag me along a bit faster for a few yards... it was great

Your scooter looks uneven by the way... you'll need to scuff up the other side otherwise it's not going to look right
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paulington
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:52 - 19 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't even figure out what has happened to you from your explanation. Are you saying that after you took the second exit on the roundabout, the lorry did the same and then somehow managed to overtake you doing a lightning speed so that the rushing air pushed you into the kerb? Confused.

For that to happen, you must have been riding in the gutter so close to the kerb it was only a matter of time before it happened anyway, surely? I was overtaken by lorries on my old RS50 and if you've got proper road positioning and prepare for the rush of air that you know will be coming, you will be fine.

Remember, lorries/HGVs like that are limited to 55mph or whatever anyway, so the actual rushing air doesn't get that powerful. So as for 'turbo', I guess you must have just been accelerating REALLY slowly for him to overtake you.

Also, I'm further confused by you saying this happened at slow speed before a roundabout yet you then say the lorry driver overtook you after taking the second exit? What happened? Confused. If the lorry was doing a slow speed then the rushing air could not have been that strong. Are you sure you weren't hugging the kerb anyway and the rushing air surprised you, made you panic and caused you to almost fixate and crash?

I request the required paint diagram good sir! Laughing!

Cheers!
____________________
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."
Current Vehicles: '89 Kawasaki KDX200, '99 Yamaha XV535, '00 Honda ST1100 Pan-European, '08 Suzuki GSX-R1000, '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GS4 2.0 TDCi, '15 BMW 1 Series 116d Sport Turbo.
CBT: 27/08/08. Theory: 04/09/09. Module 1: 16/09/09. Module 2: 01/10/09.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:13 - 19 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy to be corrected, but this really does sound like a combination of inexperience, and inappropriate road positioning
____________________
1st bike (Sept'06 - May'10) : 1991 GPZ500S / Current bike (since Nov 2009) : 2003 Suzuki Bandit 600N
Word of the day : DILLIGAF
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GrumpyGuts
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:53 - 19 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lorry overtook me before the roundabout, so followed behind because there was no traffic coming from the right. Some force did push me towards the kerb, but i didn't notice as I was too busy trying to turn it before I realised I was heading for the kerb.

I can't remember what exactly caused it, however it was a very windy day but I've had a few lorries over take me and causing a nice draft.

My road positioning was OK actually, and I wasn't riding very fast, especially something that only does 8 Bhp with weight. Here is where I fell off...

Linky

I'm a member of the club now. All I remember is me laying there and somebody coming over and asking me if I was OK...with petrol leaking everywhere.
____________________
My Bikes: Lifan Beat 125cc '11 -> Suzuki B120P '76 -> Suzuki EN 125-2A '08 -> Honda CG 125 '04 -> Honda CB600F Hornet '98 -> Kawasaki ZZR 600 '99 -> Kawasaki GPZ 500S '95 (Current)
Theory test passed - 09/02/2012 >>>> Module 1 passed 24/07/2012 >>>> Module 2 passed 24/10/2012
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:21 - 19 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrumpyGuts wrote:
My road positioning was OK actually


If your road positioning was okay then how did the lorry, which was leaving at the same exit as you, have chance to overtake you at a roundabout?

I'm not just jumping on the bandwagon here, but if you want to improve your riding then you will need to accept responsibility for your mistakes.
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:50 - 20 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't Lifans look like that straight out of the crate. Confused

Scooters catch the wind like nothing else, you just have to expect it and be prepared.
____________________
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa, hey-hey,
the men in white coats are coming to take me away.
Yamaha Vity -> YBR125 -> FZS600 Fazer -> FZ1-S Fazer
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

reece1991
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 17 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:22 - 21 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

my advice is geta bike not a hair dryer the air will always take you Smile
____________________
r.lee
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

-Savage-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:53 - 21 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paint diagram would be useful to help us clarify what happened, and we can then give you advice on how to stop it from happening again. Thumbs Up
____________________
My Bikes - - - Royal Enfield 500 with sidecar, VFR800, CBR600FX,
Peugeot Speedfight 100, Kymco Hipster 125, GSXR750K5, Jawa TS 350
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

GrumpyGuts
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:58 - 21 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike is not a hair dryer, Good sir Middle Finger

I can't really remember what happened in great detail as it was just a total shock Twisted Evil

I'm just going to take it on the head and ride around 1mph when it's windy Sick
____________________
My Bikes: Lifan Beat 125cc '11 -> Suzuki B120P '76 -> Suzuki EN 125-2A '08 -> Honda CG 125 '04 -> Honda CB600F Hornet '98 -> Kawasaki ZZR 600 '99 -> Kawasaki GPZ 500S '95 (Current)
Theory test passed - 09/02/2012 >>>> Module 1 passed 24/07/2012 >>>> Module 2 passed 24/10/2012
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaane
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:59 - 21 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not meaning to sound rude but I've rode my 636 in brutal wind and in brutal winds with rain and I didn't fall off and blame draft off a truck :S

However i did fall off my moped cause I lacked confidence and always ended up riding in the gutter to let people past. I too caught the kerb and eat grass.
____________________
EMRA Roadstock #92 - Paperwork Permitted.
Previous: 1992 DT125R
Current: ~ 2005 ZX6R C1H
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GrumpyGuts
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:06 - 21 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always blame truck drivers, they annoy me. However I'm always being knocked about in high winds and yes, I was not 100% paying attention to where my bike was heading so I have to now polish the scratches and advertise them next year as a mod! Twisted Evil
____________________
My Bikes: Lifan Beat 125cc '11 -> Suzuki B120P '76 -> Suzuki EN 125-2A '08 -> Honda CG 125 '04 -> Honda CB600F Hornet '98 -> Kawasaki ZZR 600 '99 -> Kawasaki GPZ 500S '95 (Current)
Theory test passed - 09/02/2012 >>>> Module 1 passed 24/07/2012 >>>> Module 2 passed 24/10/2012
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

-Savage-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:09 - 21 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrumpyGuts wrote:
I always blame truck drivers, they annoy me.


I find that lorry drivers are better than most as a species of road user. You just have to allow for their size, problems with viability and turbulence around them.
____________________
My Bikes - - - Royal Enfield 500 with sidecar, VFR800, CBR600FX,
Peugeot Speedfight 100, Kymco Hipster 125, GSXR750K5, Jawa TS 350
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

GrumpyGuts
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:10 - 21 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I guess so, but I believe they are punishing me because THEY have to overtake me, I ride a scooter and for some reason using something that does 40mph max travelling to Northampton from Peterborough. I'm quite hated! Embarassed
____________________
My Bikes: Lifan Beat 125cc '11 -> Suzuki B120P '76 -> Suzuki EN 125-2A '08 -> Honda CG 125 '04 -> Honda CB600F Hornet '98 -> Kawasaki ZZR 600 '99 -> Kawasaki GPZ 500S '95 (Current)
Theory test passed - 09/02/2012 >>>> Module 1 passed 24/07/2012 >>>> Module 2 passed 24/10/2012
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

leonski
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 05 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:42 - 21 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

reece1991 wrote:
my advice is geta bike not a hair dryer the air will always take you Smile


Oh here we go bike v scooter, tbh you should get a life.
I ride both and both are used for diffrent reasons at the end of the day i prefer my bike but I dont belittle someone for riding a scooter.
____________________
there is nothing like the smell of 2stroke in the morning
current beasts..lol de-restricted ludix classic 50 fastest ped ive ever ridden
yamaha ybr 125 working progress ....... Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GrumpyGuts
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:46 - 21 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought that for no thrills - just getting to and from work. I should have bought a geared for the test but nevermind!
____________________
My Bikes: Lifan Beat 125cc '11 -> Suzuki B120P '76 -> Suzuki EN 125-2A '08 -> Honda CG 125 '04 -> Honda CB600F Hornet '98 -> Kawasaki ZZR 600 '99 -> Kawasaki GPZ 500S '95 (Current)
Theory test passed - 09/02/2012 >>>> Module 1 passed 24/07/2012 >>>> Module 2 passed 24/10/2012
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:55 - 21 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrumpyGuts wrote:
Yes I guess so, but I believe they are punishing me because THEY have to overtake me, I ride a scooter and for some reason using something that does 40mph max travelling to Northampton from Peterborough. I'm quite hated! Embarassed


Well a HGV does what? about 10mpg, any slight change in speed means gear changes (pick from one of maybe eighteen gears) and hard expensive acceleration to recover momentum. Plus these blokes are working for a living, keeping to tight delivery schedules at warehouses that have to juggle the coming & going of vehicles the size of a house. Hardly surprising you're convenience isn't their number one priority.
____________________
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa, hey-hey,
the men in white coats are coming to take me away.
Yamaha Vity -> YBR125 -> FZS600 Fazer -> FZ1-S Fazer
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shinigami
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:52 - 21 Mar 2012    Post subject: Re: Why you should NOT ride a scooter during high winds! Reply with quote

GrumpyGuts wrote:
you should NOT ride a scooter


Fixed the thread title for you... Razz
____________________
Current: Honda City Fly CLR125 2003 Honda CB600F Hornet 2008 Yamaha FZ6 S2 + 1991 Kawasaki GPZ500
"Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 195 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 1.35 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 122.38 Kb