Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Halfords 1/4" drive socket sets

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Big Pete
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 18 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:28 - 30 Sep 2004    Post subject: Halfords 1/4" drive socket sets Reply with quote

I was buying some torx drivers last night and saw these in stock again. For anybody starting to work on bikes I would recommend one of the halfords sets in the gray plastic box. Currently they are £13 and cover 4-13mm and equivalent imperial sizes, with a ratchet, nutdriver (which doubles as a long extension), short extension, and 1/4" hex adaptor with screwdriver bits. I like them so much I have three or 4 sets and most of the engine work I do is done with these.
____________________
Trust me, I`m an engineer
GarageOfPower.co.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ProXimaCore
Dougal



Joined: 01 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:25 - 30 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a socket set a couple of months ago. I have no idea how I managed without one. It's pretty much essential to do any work on my bike. If you've not got one yet then I recommend you go get one. I bought a set from homebase. It was pretty similar to the halfords set.
____________________
Honda NSR125R -> Suzuki GSXR400R GK76a -> Kawasaki ZX636 B1H -> Honda CBR400RR NC29 -> Nothing Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:10 - 30 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halfords tools are now very good quality and reasonably priced. I can also recommend them. A nasty 1/4" drive socket set is not worth having, I have had the sockets split on a set of 'car boot stall' ones.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:44 - 30 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a set very similar to that a month or two ago, and I have to agree they are really useful, and well worth the money. It has all those things, plus a pair of screwdrivers and an electrical testing kit. It's 3/8" drive, but most of the sockets are 1/4". It only cost me £10 too from my local toolshop.

One complaint with Halfords is that they are a bit pricey (they always have been); tools can be got for less, it just depends on the quality and the amount of abuse you expect them to take.

I got a torque wrench the other day for £20 inc p&p, Halfords wanted £50 for one only slightly posher. Shocked
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:07 - 01 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it on reasonably good authority that a lot of the halfords tools (especially the 'professional' range) are made by a company called Brittool. As such they are ludicrously cheap.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:17 - 01 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Britool stuff is made near Cannock I believe. Same company as Sykes Pickervant and Facom.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Big Pete
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 18 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:46 - 01 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

Britool stuff is made near Cannock I believe. Same company as Sykes Pickervant and Facom.

All the best

Keith


they (Britool etc.) are now owned by a French outfit calles SAM I believe.
____________________
Trust me, I`m an engineer
GarageOfPower.co.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Minky_monkey
Traffic Copper



Joined: 01 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:30 - 01 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Halford Professional tools for years and have yet to break one. In particular are their ratchet spanners. Absolutely bloody brilliant. About £40 for a set.

I agree, you can get cheaper, but for there quality I think they're the best for their price.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bomberman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:27 - 02 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaggis wrote:
I got a torque wrench the other day for £20 inc p&p, Halfords wanted £50 for one only slightly posher. Shocked

If you don't mind, I'd be interested where that was from? I need to start myself up with a bunch of mechanic tools and frankly, the cheaper the better Very Happy
Edit; I'm getting scared at replacing my sparks with a monkey Shocked It's only a matter of time
____________________
'Allo! My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!
'89 TZR 125 - '94 GPZ500s - ZK3 GSXR600 Alstare Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:09 - 02 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it on Ebay from here:

1/2" drive: https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20766&item=4327153185
https://i2.ebayimg.com/03/i/02/50/a4/65_1_b.JPG

3/8" drive: https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30922&item=7924933676

https://i13.ebayimg.com/03/i/02/4f/3f/03_1_b.JPG

Happy to help. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bomberman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:14 - 02 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou kindly Thumbs Up Much props Very Happy
____________________
'Allo! My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!
'89 TZR 125 - '94 GPZ500s - ZK3 GSXR600 Alstare Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Belcher
Nova Slayer



Joined: 20 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:39 - 03 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

On another note Halfords have a deal with a 235 peice toold set with a 3 draw red tool box going for £60 pounds. I bought one for my workshop at home so not to have to bring tools home from work every weekend.

The tools are decent quality made by Powerdevil. Good basic kit consisting of a full set of imperial and metric sockets, screwdrivers,hex keys, spaners and pliers, snips and wratchets.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ade067
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:11 - 03 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a torque wrench very similar if not identical to the one shown in the pics above,it was ok and fairly accurate compared to our main one in the workshop but you have to watch the large nut on the end,mine kept coming loose and even fell apart once which puts it way out of calibration.

In my opinion they are fine for occasional home use and very good value for money but they are not really suitable if you're going to be using it all the time in a workshop.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:16 - 03 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a 150 piece Halfords Professional tool set, including spanners, AF sockets, Metric sockets (in 1/4in 3/8in and 1/2in drives) screwdriver sockets, Allen sockets, Torx Sockets, extension bars, universal joints, ratchet ring spanners etc etc I could go on for a while!

All for a sniff over £130.


Not bad at all! Smile
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RichA
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 01 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:27 - 01 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except that they are now on offer for £100, plus you get a £10 gift voucher thrown in as well - making the cost of the tools £90 Wink.

Sorry, had to mention it in case anyone else was after some Cool.

--Rich
____________________
Nice VFR750. Written off by an old dear who "didn't see me" as she drove onto the roundabout via the side of my bike. Pah... Now looking for something new.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 336 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 1.81 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 89.53 Kb