Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Sodding car drivers .. :(

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

MementoMori
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:46 - 02 Oct 2004    Post subject: Sodding car drivers .. :( Reply with quote

Today, I got my Aprilia RS50. My MotorHispania was stolen but that's a long story, so after ages, we finally got it sorted.
Anyway, yeah, I spent this morning starting and stopping and finding gears, and... less than half an hour ago, I went out on to the roads with my dad behind me on his bike, going up and down this long straight. Thumbs Up
As I was turning into the street where I live, I was well busy concentrating on changing down and braking and indicating and I looked in my mirrors and there was this sodding great car up my arse, who then pulled out as I was making the turn and went flying past me.
Surprised That was the first time I'd been out on the roads for myself on a geared bike and already I'm scared to go back out. Crying or Very sad That man scared me half to death. How am I supposed to learn in confidence if there are a'holes like him about? Neutral
:: sigh :: sorry, I just needed to share that with some people who know what I'm on about Rolling Eyes
I haven't been on here for ages, starting college and all Confused so erm.. hope you're all doing good Thumbs Up

Thanks,
Steph.
____________________
The tiger who came for a pint
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:51 - 02 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you can do is ride it off. Learn to do gears, indicating, clutch etc without thinking about it. This will give you more time to be looking in your mirrors and around you to give you a chance to avoid the likes of the above driver.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iCraig
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:59 - 02 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be worth you going to a quiet car park and learning gears and stuff there, then you won't have inpatient car drivers there, or a quiet industrial estate on a sunday is also good Smile.

My advice is just get you and your bike out on the road and ride ride ride, thus building up your confidence and your skills, it also might be worth taking a few lessons with a qualified motorcycle instructor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bagpuss
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 06 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:07 - 02 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

To a certain extent its just another one of those things you need to learn to deal with. Don't let it get you flustered and probably the best thing to do if its a real problem is indicate to pull over and gradually slow down to let the car past stopping if necessary.

It is probably the L plates (if you've got them) - I often find cars right up on my back tire for no obvious reason other than they are idiots and I have L plates so obviously I will be really slow - not.

Good luck with the bike, geared bikes are much better Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mr jamez
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:00 - 02 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have checked you're mirrors before indicating anyway ? Wink

This happens all the time, when I am in my car people do it to me, you just get used to it after a while.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MementoMori
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:29 - 02 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

... I did look in my mirrors before indicating.. no really! Rolling Eyes .... but I wasn't expecting him to be THAT close Crying or Very sad
Ah well, thanks for all your advice. Tomorrow if the weather's alright, I'll go out again and get more confident with it. And yeh, I might go back to the place where I did my test.... the instructor did say he'd help me on the gears... very under the table though, which was nice of him. Typical biker Cool Why not.
I'd heard about all the car drivers and whatnot's attitude towards L plates, but I didn't think it'd happen on my first run! Oh how niave.
Thanks for all your help again Thumbs Up

Steph
____________________
The tiger who came for a pint
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:02 - 03 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let car drivers like that put you off....

Trust me, they get close whether you've been riding for years or not. There will always be one driver who is in such a hurry (or are so stupid) that they cannot possibly use their brakes to allow you to turn safely. Rolling Eyes



You are lucky to have a father who will go out with you. Let him ride behind you and 'guard' you. All you need is confidence. If you were out riding, you have the skill. So keep at it! Very Happy

Better luck next time Thumbs Up
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dannie_10
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 15 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:12 - 06 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey maybe a little older but in the same boat (learning to ride due to daughter wanting ped next year and wanting to be out there with her when she starts).... and being a car driver for many years never really realise what pratts other drivers can be towards learners ...so i sympathise with you .... and would just like to say keep going dont let them wear you down .... good luck ... safe riding Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

m99dws
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:11 - 06 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good car drivers are ones with experience in more than just cars. Once you have ridden a bike, driven a 38 tonne artic or pushed a white van to its limits on the A1, you begin to appreciate how other vehicles work and manourve.

Not all car drivers are morons, not all bike riders are saints. There are good and bad in both worlds.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 4 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.86 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 62.62 Kb